Note to New Members ×

Way to prevent rug burn on rear leg/shin

Guest aydx0001

Guest aydx0001

Got a nice rug burn on my rear shin...inserting a paper plate to allow slipping against plate, not my blister seems to help...better sock material? Anchor in my heel? How do I stabilize the heal? Heel cup/lifter inside boot? Larger tongue or some sort of insert to hold heel down? I can't seem to get the middle buckle to hold that part of my foot down so when I'm loaded up (on toe side in particular) and hit any sort of chop I get the vibrations just rubbing like mad to start my shin on fire...any thoughts? I have UPZ race boots if that makes any difference...thanks so much!

Dave

a)people almost never use the search function on any forum. I dont know the cause of this...but its true

b)you apparently cant do a search and link directly to it. Ive tried before and it comes out funny. your link just goes to the main "carving community" page.

hope youre well

Dave

a)people almost never use the search function on any forum. I dont know the cause of this...but its true

b)you apparently cant do a search and link directly to it. Ive tried before and it comes out funny. your link just goes to the main "carving community" page.

hope youre well

Dave's link prodoces the desired result for me. IE6, WinXPSP2, all available updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com installed.

why would SP2 or updates have anything to do with browser functions?

odd...but...Ive done searches before, copied the resulting url, and pasted it, and had other people tell me the results were null. figured it was just something you couldnt do

The searches are session based and time out after a few minutes. If you copy and paste the URL, someone else can also do the same search but only a few minutes after you perform it.

I think I figured out how to link directly to a search. Do this:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/search.php?do=process&showposts=0&query=madd

Replace madd with your search term. Let me know if it works for you guys.

Are you tightening your boots around your shin tight enough. I find that if I leave my boots loose at the top cuuf then I get shin burn bad. I tighten down the buckles on the top cuff nice and tight. This way the sliding of the shin/sock/tongue stops, and everything is held fast against your shin. I know that it sound simple but it works for me.

The searches are session based and time out after a few minutes. If you copy and paste the URL, someone else can also do the same search but only a few minutes after you perform it.

I think I figured out how to link directly to a search. Do this:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/search.php?do=process&showposts=0&query=madd

Replace madd with your search term. Let me know if it works for you guys.

noah...good one, except that doesnt filter out posts...it searches ANY mention of MADD

me, I prefer to use "titles only" for my searches

but still, people ignore or are unaware of the search function on ALL the boards I go to

noah...good one, except that doesnt filter out posts...it searches ANY mention of MADD

me, I prefer to use "titles only" for my searches

but still, people ignore or are unaware of the search function on ALL the boards I go to

Okay Dave... fine be that way :eplus2:

Try this:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/search.php?do=process&showposts=0&titleonly=1&titleonly=1&query=madd

And its Neil, not Noah :nono: :)

Now we can all post search links for newbies!

Guest aydx0001

D-sub: you've got to be kidding...it's easier to ask for help than search for it yourself. I did search but felt it would be best to ask to see if there was good information more specific to my situation (rhetoric now clarified). I do this when I'm lost in a store or on the road, too...guess that's why the chicks dig me. The rest: thanks for the help...I'm going to look into the boot fitting and that tongue wedge. Yeah, the top buckles are somewhat loose but I need that to get the flex so I don't get bruised shin bones from pushing hard on the upper cuff of the boot...I'm going to also look into reducing the spring preload on the forward lean. Perhaps an adjustment to that and a planted heel/tongue wedge along with a proper fitting will allow even pressure distribution along the entire upper of the boot, eliminating the rug burn AND the pressure on the shin at the top of the boot. I've traded one problem for another by leaving the buckles loose...a little more time and I'll hopefully have all the problems solved...

D-sub: you've got to be kidding...it's easier to ask for help than search for it yourself.

yes, it is easier to do a lot of things that require effort on your part. search functions are there for a reason, and it is actually quite common to be expected to use them on forums. the "screw that, Im not takin the time to do that" response is kinda...well...interesting

I just got back from Aspen and experienced quite some rug burn on my rear shin as well.

All due to the wrong socks I was using!

This was the first day that I rode my new Strolz foam injected liners… and since these liners are SO extremely tight for the first 3-4 days I had to use a extra thin ski sock (UltraMax). This sock has a pretty coarse pattern from the ankles up and managed to nicely burn some parts of my shins… By the time I realized that this is happening it was already to late…

Next day I used my favorite socks (X-SOCKS / Ski Carving Silver), but still had to ride with some pain… after the 3rd day the burn was complete gone… So, socks for sure can mess up your shins… Don’t save $$$ here!

Guest aydx0001

Ray-- Thanks for the reply! I checked out my socks and they are a very coarse material and it makes sense they'd be a problem. I'll check out those X-socks and from the look of their webpage they also have pressure reliefe padding in the ankles and other parts...I'm getting my UPZ's fitted this week once the soreness goes away and a new pair of socks will also be tried next time out! Thanks again for the helpful and constructive post!!! (All this talk about how supportive and tight-knit the carving community is seems to be pure BS when a bunch of peeps get ticked because of recurring themes brought up by apparently lazy noobs.)

how does being intolerant of the same questions asked over and over and over and over indicate a lack of helpfulness? seriously?

if you go back, you'll see that I answered your question before saying anything about searching, and yyz pointed it out before I did.

anyway...for socks...yes, they can make huge difference. check out bridgedale, smartwool, and fox river. I have the "snowboard fox" with a bit o' padding in the shin area and reinforcement elsewhere. they are the most comfortable socks I have ever put on my feet

Cheap way to deal with heel lift -- putting those L pads or C pads around the ankle on the outside of the liner. Lots of shops have them and online they are at Tognar. When you don't have thermos, it is a cheap way to go and by holding down the heel, could help with shin movement which is creating the burn. Socks? I love the merino wool ones from Fox River -- cheap, thin, and warm (they are also shaped -- and marked - left and right -- which sounds more like marketing stuff) -- anyways, that is all I wear now for boarding and skiing. :1luvu: