Note to New Members ×

Softbooter with a question for the hardbooters

Guest hobokenaddict

Guest hobokenaddict

Okay, so on my third day out in beautiful Vail and Beaver Creek, three cats burned by me on hard boot setups....needless to say I'm hooked.

So here's the problem and question.....

I live in NYC and I'm having a piss of a time finding hardboot dealers let alone hard boots.

Question---are there certain freeride ski boots that i can use instead of carving boots? I want to get a set of plates and boots to ride on a fr. board for this season, then move up to a freecarve/race after I build some confidence in the hard boot setup.

Your wisdom is sought and greatly needed.

Thanks

Matt

go to our front page and check out the Welcome Center. Bomber does a great job selling boots, letting you try them on and return them if they don't fit. otherwise, if you have to be able to use your boots for skis as well, check out Dalbello. I can't recall the model name at the moment, but it's the one that was designed by Glen Plake, and is basically a new version of the old Raichle Flexon.

There are plenty of inexpensive used snowboard hardboots out there if you keep an eye on the classifieds and eBay. I recommend using the right tool for the job and avoiding ski boots, you want some ankle flexion especially in the early stages. Once you find the right size (Follow RDY_2_Carve's link for that) you can start shopping and find something to get you started. FWIW it's worth this is my 5th year on plates (actually, 6th, since I don't count my 1st year where I stuck mostly to softies) and I just bought my first set of "current model" boots this fall. Up until now I've used older ones from the bargain bin, and been fine. Good thing since I started two sizes too big!

PLEASE DON'T START TWO SIZES TOO BIG!!!!!

I did, and I have 4 screws in two different bones to show for it. Heel popped out of the cup going wayyyyyyy to fast on the dreaded cookies of death!

There are plenty of options available as already mentioned and a few of us will go looking for options for you when you get your size. It will probably seem too small at first, but believe me it's better to have a small boot fitted then try to clamp down a big boot! Head over to the classified section and put up a "wanted thread".

Do a search on this forum for boot sizing and do your research up front, and it will pay off big time in the future.

Looking forward to hearing about your first day in hardboots! Make sure to post about it.

hobokenaddict,

Are you still in Vail? If so just come over to Silverthorne as we are now doing demos out of our factory. We are getting ready to announce this on the site soon but I see you are in town (or where) so just wante to mention. We have a full line of boots, boards, and bindings you can take out.

Let me know if we can help.

Guest hobokenaddict

Nah, I live in NYC, was in Vail and Beaver Creek last Feb :(

I used to fit ski boots for a living so I do know that my mondo is definitely a 27.5. I'll stick to looking on the classifieds for now. I know that if i really fall in love with this, I'll be upgrading shortly.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Matt

Dalbello Carvex or CRX series was the skiboot version of the Blax, now Head hardboots. There should be some used ones floating around. Jack's suggestion of old Raichle Flexons, now redesigned (better range of fit & flex) as Dalbello Kryptons. Try 'em on if you can, I fit in a 28 shell in most boots, but my old Raichle 325's are 27 shells.

The key is a flex that's comfortable, w/o being mushy.

Good luck, & welcome to the Wonderful World of Trenchin' :biggthump

Matt, I used to live in nyc up until a couple months ago. Emilio's ski shop out in queens used to carry some carving gear. I bought my burton race plates off of them for $65 I think. I even bought a burton speed off of them for $75 I think. I'm not sure if they have anything left but its worth calling them. I think there was one guy that works there who carves.

Hobokenaddict,

Ski Stop in Long Island which is right off the LIE once sold hard boots, boards and bindings. I know for a fact they have some hard equipment lying around in their stock room. The problem is only a few clerks know about it. Take a drive out there and ask to see it yourself. They will show it to you if you get the right clerk. I think they may even have some late model Burtom fp's. As far as carving is concerned, increase your binding angles on your soft board to 40 degrees back and 38 front. Get your ass over your board and drive turns using mostly your knees with some ankles. Wear stiffer soft boots and come riding with me at mountain creek tomorrow morning. You can carve awesome turns on ANY soft board and hold ground to most hard booters if you have the right technique.

Guest hobokenaddict

thanks for the information. I'm pretty accomplished on the stick, and totally know what you mean. I ride burton cfx with carbon skyback, and ion med density. For small mtns, my balance 58.5 is sick, 25cm waist, for the bigger mtns i have an old school morrow lithium 161 which i adore. But i'm ready to add a real carving tool tool to my toolbox.

To get the best sidecut, I modded my boots so I could fit in a 9.5. Unfortunately won't be round the creek this weekend, but definitely soon. I'm the guy in all military issue extreme cold weather camo gear.

I'll def ping you when i get out there. Just bought some snowpro plates off a cat from colorado, now need to get the boots,

thanks for the information. I'm pretty accomplished on the stick, and totally know what you mean. I ride burton cfx with carbon skyback, and ion med density. For small mtns, my balance 58.5 is sick, 25cm waist, for the bigger mtns i have an old school morrow lithium 161 which i adore. But i'm ready to add a real carving tool tool to my toolbox.

To get the best sidecut, I modded my boots so I could fit in a 9.5. Unfortunately won't be round the creek this weekend, but definitely soon. I'm the guy in all military issue extreme cold weather camo gear.

I'll def ping you when i get out there. Just bought some snowpro plates off a cat from colorado, now need to get the boots,

The raichle flexon comp ski boot makes an awsome carving boot and you can pick some up in great shape for cheap and then be up and carving. You can adjust the flex from quit soft too nice and stiff. They can allow alot of ankle flex but deliver the power to drive a stiff race board. I like mine better than any "carving boot" that I've tried. I bought a pair of the Dalbello Kryptons this year because they are the evolved flexon ( redesigneded by Plake) . I find that for skiing they are just fine but will need some modification to come close to the flexon for carving. The height and hard plastic of the inner tounge tends to block my back foot and ankle flex even with the upper buckle and power strap loose. A switch to a thermal flex type of linner may do the trick.Because I like to carve and ski on the same day I like a boot that will do both, that way I can get the virgin groomed in the morning and when the slopes crowd up switch to skis and get in the bumps without having to change foot wear. If you are not looking to do both and money is no object jump into a nice carving boot otherwise try the flexon comp.

Hope you get up and running soon. David Glynn

The Starting Gate by Stratton has everything you need - great boot fitters, Delux and Head boots, Donek and Nidecker carving sticks, Catek or Bomber bindings, all in stock. Most important are the boots - get them fit properly. Plus if you ride Stratton there's always hard boot riders around to get pointers from. Good luck and welcome to the club.