Note to New Members ×

Boardercross Set-ups?

Guest ArmanTanzarian

Guest ArmanTanzarian

Hey All,

I've been searching online for boardercross board set-ups and can't seem to find many, I mean any. I found this forum and scanned down a few pages and didn't see any threads regarding this.

So........

What's consensus?

I'm going to be racing my first event and I'm a bit torn as to what to pull from my arsenal.

On one side of the coin I have my home built 159 that I WAY comfortable on and on the other side of the coin I have a 168 Super Model I could use as well. 5'10" 175lbs.

While the Super Model is plenty nice I know that as far as the bumps and jumps are concerned I feel I should go with that which I am most comfortable on. Anyone know what most of these riders are riding in terms of length and boots?

Cheers

-b-

Ok so I've ridden boardercross on a bunch of different set-ups both soft and hard. For me it's always been whatever I'm most comfortable on. Which ever board you've spent the most time on and have a great feel for should be your weapon of choice. For example, I went from a 164FP, to a 164 Republik to a 185 Speed...final decision, stiffness; the 185 raceboard with Catek Olympics and Burton Fire boots...

now everyone is going to say that this is too stiff...well maybe for you, but I feel super comfortable in the air and using berms, so it's my favorite BX weapon. Plus the added benefit of getting the hole-shot and taking all the turns low is a great feeling.

Take a look at Jasey-Jay. He uses one of two boards in BX (180cm coiler and a softboot board) and for him it seems to depend on conditions. But from a results stand-point, his custom 180ish coiler, with catek's and deelux indy's is his #1 results-driven set-up. He's most comfortable with it since he's always training for alpine.

So in the end, comfort is #1. After your first race, re-evaluate where you stand and how comfortable you felt during the comp. If you need to make a change afterward then it's up to you.

-Gord

Guest ArmanTanzarian
Ok so I've ridden boardercross on a bunch of different set-ups both soft and hard. For me it's always been whatever I'm most comfortable on. Which ever board you've spent the most time on and have a great feel for should be your weapon of choice. For example, I went from a 164FP, to a 164 Republik to a 185 Speed...final decision, stiffness; the 185 raceboard with Catek Olympics and Burton Fire boots...

now everyone is going to say that this is too stiff...well maybe for you, but I feel super comfortable in the air and using berms, so it's my favorite BX weapon. Plus the added benefit of getting the hole-shot and taking all the turns low is a great feeling.

Take a look at Jasey-Jay. He uses one of two boards in BX (180cm coiler and a softboot board) and for him it seems to depend on conditions. But from a results stand-point, his custom 180ish coiler, with catek's and deelux indy's is his #1 results-driven set-up. He's most comfortable with it since he's always training for alpine.

So in the end, comfort is #1. After your first race, re-evaluate where you stand and how comfortable you felt during the comp. If you need to make a change afterward then it's up to you.

-Gord

Exactly!!!! I was thinking comfort. But I'm also saying the ride I am on most often is a 159. I could get comfortable on the 168 right quick, as I had riden it a few years back in Whistler, but I'm unsure as to if that's the board for a Boarder X. I guess I bring both and try them in the practice session. But I was thinking comfort would be key. Do ya'll think a 159 "could" compete. I wanna WIN!!!!!

-b-

Guest ArmanTanzarian

Thanks for the link. I'm in the midwest and my situation is such that I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be using in this upcoming event. I've been riding for years [since 87] but I have never raced so I never really focused my attention as to what they were riding.

-b-

Thanks for the link. I'm in the midwest and my situation is such that I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be using in this upcoming event. I've been riding for years [since 87] but I have never raced so I never really focused my attention as to what they were riding.

I don't think the exact board you choose in this first race will be so important, it will be more a matter of what you do rather than your ride. So go with what's comfortable, and make sure it's waxed right. In other words, worry about smoking the course and not having the course smoke you.

Guest Randy S.

Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't run any true BX courses (just Jeep King of the Mountain races). IMO, since you are riding in the Midwest, you won't be on a long course. This means that hole shot and fast turns is going to be critical. More critical than long-term comfort. Even if you run lots of runs during the day, each one won't last more than 40-50 seconds, I'm guessing (how long could it take to cover a few hundred vertical feet?). Given that, I'd go for your most aggressive set up, the one that will allow you to carve hard and get a quick start. Plus wax and tune the thing perfectly the night before and after each run or two.

Have fun and good luck.

Guest ArmanTanzarian
Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't run any true BX courses (just Jeep King of the Mountain races). IMO, since you are riding in the Midwest, you won't be on a long course. This means that hole shot and fast turns is going to be critical. More critical than long-term comfort. Even if you run lots of runs during the day, each one won't last more than 40-50 seconds, I'm guessing (how long could it take to cover a few hundred vertical feet?). Given that, I'd go for your most aggressive set up, the one that will allow you to carve hard and get a quick start. Plus wax and tune the thing perfectly the night before and after each run or two.

Have fun and good luck.

I hear ya. Sorry for the confusion, I'm from the midwest the race is in Tahoe.

cheers

-b-

Guest ArmanTanzarian
Plus the added benefit of getting the hole-shot and taking all the turns low is a great feeling.

-Gord

Hey Gord - I wanna say it's common knowledge that the Hole-Shot is by far to the advantage of every racer to win. Would you attribute that to board length in apposed to reaction time and pull out of the gate? Just looking to pick your brain a bit.

Cheers

-b-

Hey Gord - I wanna say it's common knowledge that the Hole-Shot is by far to the advantage of every racer to win. Would you attribute that to board length in apposed to reaction time and pull out of the gate? Just looking to pick your brain a bit.

Cheers

-b-

My mindset (coming from a racer) is that more base allows for more glide and better stability. After about 20 racers (i.e. the ladies) get through the course even on time-trials, it's pretty beat-up. I find that the longer length (along with the proper waxing) allows for a faster start along with the ability to carry the speed you gain from the start into and through the first turn. It's common to see freestyle riders straight-line the start and the compress into the first turn and end up scrubbing speed. The reason I got bigger and bigger with my BX boards is that I liked the stability (ability to cut THROUGH the ruts and not get bounced around) through the first turn which in turn allowed me to carry my speed better to the next obstacle.

Beyond the actual riding, the big guns always scare the freestyle riders, so there is the intimidation factor... :D

Three biggest factors; stability, comfort and wax!

-Gord

-Gord

Guest Randy S.
I hear ya. Sorry for the confusion, I'm from the midwest the race is in Tahoe.

cheers

-b-

Where? If its the USASA BX at Boreal, the same thing applies. Boreal is a tiny little place. You might be able to eek out a 1 minute run if you tried hard as a course setter. If its elsewhere, let us know so we can come watch.

Randy

Do you know what base material you used on your home made board? I beleive the supermodel came with an extruded base which isn't very fast.

My advice is to ride what you know the most. The "best" set-up in the world isn't going to win it for you if you don't feel comfortable on it. You should be more concerned with how to get the most speed out of your current board. Go to www.dominatorwax.com there are some very helpful articles there.

As for your first race don't go into it with any real expectations, be observant and try to learn as much as you can. Usually peoples performances at their first few events are not inline with their actual ability level. Be prepared to be humbled, but don't get discouraged. Be smart durning the training period. Many newer SBX racers just try to get as many training runs as possible thinking that the more you practice the better you'll race, not true. Take a step back and watch the fast guys ride, pay attention to the lines they are taking into and out of berms, and how they are setting up for features. Then take some training runs and try to take a similar line. SBX is all about line.

last year in USASA i raced BX a couple times, the first race i used my soft boot setup which i didn't feel comfortable on, next race i switched back to hardboots and tried to run my Burton FP 167 but USASA rules dont allow you to run a board with "squared corners" so they said i couldn't race it, luckily i had my Burton 163 UP in the car and its got very slightly rounded corners on the tail and they couldn't do anything about, i ended up winning because it was a very icy course and the softbooters kept sliding out so conditions also play a big roll, and like the others said get the holeshot and race your own race, its harder to pass someone than it is to keep the lead

have fun

what kind of courses are you going to be running. If you are going to do USASA you could use hardboots on a bx board like an Atomic Dreamraider but if you plan on racing the Grand Prix and bigger races like that hard boots are not as good as softies because of the jumps. Unless you are more comfortable jumping on hard boots. I wouldn't ride a race board in a boardercross because I find them to be kinda scary to jump with but again it is a preference thing.

Phil is right about the lines. You can run a course as many times as you can and still get your ass kicked if you dont spend any time spotting where you should be and where you can pass and so on...

Guest Ghostrider

About the square tail issue...Definately enforced.

We enforce the same thing in USCSA (Rule 603) and its also a USSA rule (Rule 916.1)

FIS hasn't updated the rule book since '04 but last I heard, there will be no square tails at the olympics either.

Its just for safety reasons. People were worried about somebody eventually being impaled so just like that, there can be no square tails or pointed tips.

Pretty much means leave the alpine board at home if you are gonna run BX.

Its just for safety reasons. People were worried about somebody eventually being impaled so just like that, there can be no square tails or pointed tips.

Pretty much means leave the alpine board at home if you are gonna run BX.

so the smart man has an alpine board made with a rounded tip and tail

Guest Ghostrider
so the smart man has an alpine board made with a rounded tip and tail

Exactly...I've heard rumors of some US teamers solving this rule change with a hack saw and some epoxy.

I haven't heard what the rule is yet on what kind of radius constitues a rounded tail but you might want to get a longer board and add a saw and 5 min. epoxy to your race day wax kit :D

Guest ArmanTanzarian
Where? If its the USASA BX at Boreal, the same thing applies. Boreal is a tiny little place. You might be able to eek out a 1 minute run if you tried hard as a course setter. If its elsewhere, let us know so we can come watch.

Randy

Hey Randy,

It's the Winter X-Jam up at Sugar Bowl Jan. 12-15.

cheers

-b-

Guest ArmanTanzarian
Do you know what base material you used on your home made board? I beleive the supermodel came with an extruded base which isn't very fast.

My advice is to ride what you know the most. The "best" set-up in the world isn't going to win it for you if you don't feel comfortable on it. You should be more concerned with how to get the most speed out of your current board. Go to www.dominatorwax.com there are some very helpful articles there.

As for your first race don't go into it with any real expectations, be observant and try to learn as much as you can. Usually peoples performances at their first few events are not inline with their actual ability level. Be prepared to be humbled, but don't get discouraged. Be smart durning the training period. Many newer SBX racers just try to get as many training runs as possible thinking that the more you practice the better you'll race, not true. Take a step back and watch the fast guys ride, pay attention to the lines they are taking into and out of berms, and how they are setting up for features. Then take some training runs and try to take a similar line. SBX is all about line.

Black 2000 Grade Sintered base.

Well I was fastest on my 172 Speedster (the last grey model, which was too stiff for most people) with hardboots. Especially if there were big jumps (like 20-30m - not like the 50-60m Giant jump they did set up in the Saas Fee BX world cup this year - but shaped it off after about 10 WC riders got seriously harmed).

Especially if there is one course for BX and skiercross take a real 185 GS Board because the skiers use GS race Skis with 21-25m radius. Only in smaller and very tight courses I have used my soft Setup. But be aware. I would allways use binders with fixed highbacks and a custom made 3. strap on top in order not to ruin my ACL (crashed my ACL on one day where I though I could do without my 3. strap).

For soft boards try to get a really hard soft board with even harder Tail with say a 10-11m radius, 25cm waist and around 165cm. (based on my weight of 70kg with 265 Mondo bootsize).

I prefer landing on my hardboots as they give me more security and response.

Beyond the actual riding, the big guns always scare the freestyle riders, so there is the intimidation factor... :D

Three biggest factors; stability, comfort and wax!

-Gord

-Gord

Also being as big as you are helps too, me personally i used my 181 coiler in almost every bordercross i've done