Note to New Members ×

1st day of season...off to somewhat rough start

FTA2R

issue #1:

leavin the bathroom to take my first run, the f'n mouthpiece of my camelback breaks off and falls on the bathroom floor. This happened 2 years ago 'cept it was when i was riding and i got soaked. local shop didn't have replacement parts so I had to go w/o camelbak, which sorta sucked.

issues #2 (main problem):

main problem was despite general and heart rate conditioning (via recumbent life cycle), my legs felt like f'n jelly after a few runs. I'm gonna try the sportlegs, but i was pissed. I have to think not being nearly as hydrated as I normally am had something to do with it, but after a nice lunch, I felt a lot better (and basically stronger) and finally started to "get my groove back."

inside of R (front) thigh still gets worked much heavier than other leg/thigh...is this thigh burn being worse in front leg normal? anyone else take 1/2 a day to feel "back into it?" maybe i'm just being too hard on myself, first day riding since beg. of June....also, how long does everyone ride w/o stopping? I felt like I was being schooled by the little "mountain" we have here.

cambelbak users don't make the mistake I did...bring at least 1 replacement valve cap eveyr time you ride.

MAC guys, ran into Ronnie from the listserv at Tail...had no idea he was in our group, but I tracked him down and we chatted. conditions were nice, not a lot of people either.

I did lots of squats and other stuff, but my legs still got smoked the first day out. Today was day 11, and I managed 4.5 nonstop, no liftlines, and very little sittin' on the trail time. It seems that myself and all the other people I carve with are pretty well done after 4 hours, but this may have something to do with riding at 11,000 feet. I never think about the altitude, I just always thought I was a bit of a wimp :D

Hey Barry---sorry I missed you this weekend---I was doing the "night shift" at Whitetail last night and tonight. I hear ya on the burning quads, though. I did 6 runs tonight, took a break, then did 2 more---and that was all my quads could stand! But I'm gonna keep at it, almost every day if I can...and determined to get stronger!

Scott

Glad to hear I am not alone? My first day out last Thursday, I quit at 1:00PM. I was feeling very tired and I just wasn't linking my turns together. Plus, my herniated disc was acting up. The next two days, I woke up, hardly able to straighten up.

I was thinking I should just go back to skiing. Instead, I'm going to dust off the bike trainer and work my legs while I watch TV.

Maybe I can't just drink beer and play golf all summer and expect to be in riding shape.

Hey Barry,

I have exactly the same problem you do, except you have quite a few more vertical feet at your disposal than I generally do on opening day.

I picked up a set of Sports Skins and wear them under my pants now religiously. I think the website is www.skins.com.au

Yes, it is an Australian product, but with your higher value currency, they could be good value. Don't ask me how they work, I just know that my legs don't fatigue anywhere near as fast as they do when I forget to put them on.

forgot to mention I was riding with rear lift and cant (3 deg. , that is "Burton degrees, lol") so this may have added pressure to front thigh.

glad to see I'm not alone. Unless it happens again, I'm not going to worry. Toward the end of the season last year I went 4-8 hours riding fairly hard. Of course our hill are only 600-1000, but oh well.

so I think that as I bend more at the knees, it is usually more exhausting. basically like doing a long set of squats of decent weight. just seems riding plates is much more tiring than softies.

---

Barry

Guest dudleydudley
Hey Barry,

I have exactly the same problem you do, except you have quite a few more vertical feet at your disposal than I generally do on opening day.

I picked up a set of Sports Skins and wear them under my pants now religiously. I think the website is www.skins.com.au

Yes, it is an Australian product, but with your higher value currency, they could be good value. Don't ask me how they work, I just know that my legs don't fatigue anywhere near as fast as they do when I forget to put them on.

There are also the CW-X ones that I swear by. These things helped me out tremendously last season.

I don't know guys---all the natural/chemical supplements and insulated tights just seem like so much snake oil to me. As difficult as it is, I think the best thing is good ol' low-tech conditioning. (I say this being totally OUT of shape myself!)

Scott

First thing to be said is I completely agree that good conditioning AND technique are really important...

Alot of us invest a huge amount of money in the latest and greatest technology. Alot of that is just the fun of getting a new toy but alot of it is trying to get the best tool for the job. Is there a bright line between an appropriate tool and "snake oil." I'm sure it's at a different point for a lot of people and especially different for those of different ages, fitness levels and motivation. Just curious and wanted to throw that question out to the forum...

How far can/should we go to supplement our abilities with technology?

One absurd pole would be to go out with our jeans and a piece of plywood completely depending on technique, a world where you can do anything with any equipment it just depends on conditioning and techique (Bordy's world ;) ,please really just kidding...). The other is that each specific movement requires a specific piece of equipment in order to do it properly (EC? :p ).

Is this a thread hijack? Oops, sorry, just doing the train of thought thing...

LOL at the high-tech THERMALS!

:)

you know...it seems to me that no matter what you do, riding is a whole new set of demands on your body in and of itself. running, cycling, swimming, sprints...they all prepare different parts of your body, but theyre still not completely addressing everything as a whole.

seems to me that the best way to get and stay in shape for snowboarding is to snowboard as often as possible

I mean...think about this lone factor:

when youre snowboarding...not only are you physically exerting your entire body, you're also "stressing" your brain. I dont mean stress in the modern negative way, but...youre thinking the whole time, evaluating conditions and the feel of your board, doing your best to stay alert to your surroundings, being aware and or cautious of others on the hill

all this adds up to a very taxing endeavor, imo.

its like playing golf...aside from walking 4-5 miles with a bag on your back (if youre not a sissy who uses a cart;)) you are putting yourself into high levels of thinking and focus that can be far more exhausting than a lot of physical activity.

eventually you get "comfortable"...learn to utilize economy of motion, dont think _too_ much...and it all starts to feel good again

make sense?

eventually you get "comfortable"...learn to utilize economy of motion, dont think _too_ much...and it all starts to feel good again

make sense?

completely...

But do you think someone from the 1950's would've been laughing at the PLASTIC fleece you probably wear or those PLASTIC boots? I'm sure there a lot of skiers out there that think shaped skis are for wimps. Does technology help us do stuff or does it weaken us? Personally I'll try anything that might help and will toss it if it doesn't or hold on to it like dear life if it does. Anything to make my day on the hill more fun.

Astrokel said...

How far can/should we go to supplement our abilities with technology?

Aahh...THE question! :) I'm as much of a techno-newtoy-weenie as everyone else here. But at the same time, I'm always aware that in almost every sport I do, there is someone out there who is so much more skilled and practiced than I am that they could kick my butt with gear that's half the quality of mine.

I think that line you mention should be drawn somewhere between attempting to achieve all your gains through better gear...and making do with whatever you have and pushing to its absolute maximum potential---something none of us do (and I think I can speak for everyone in that regard!).

As long as we recognize that the best gear in the world will not make us better, I think it's fine to indulge in cool stuff.

I know a few Olympic medalist athletes (in whitewater slalom), and I easily could have told you years before they won gold that it would happen---solely on the basis of their mindset: they simply had far more patience, determination, and self-analytical skills than anyone else. While everyone else was discussing the sharpness of their boat edges, these folks were out there doing another 5 runs. These qualities (not equipment) were what served them best in the end. :)

Scott

completely...

But do you think someone from the 1950's would've been laughing at the PLASTIC fleece you probably wear or those PLASTIC boots? I'm sure there a lot of skiers out there that think shaped skis are for wimps. Does technology help us do stuff or does it weaken us? Personally I'll try anything that might help and will toss it if it doesn't or hold on to it like dear life if it does. Anything to make my day on the hill more fun.

I agree with both this point of view and also D-Sub's last comment.

Last night I did a training paddle on my surf ski and had possibly the widest range of changing conditions I have ever been in. We had a weather front come through about 15 minutes into our paddle, so instead of taking 1 hour 15 mins it took almost 2 hours. The whole time was working the entire body (yes, paddling well does involve a lot of leg work) as well as the brain, trying to pick the best line to take, not getting blown off by the wind gusts or washed off by the waves and chop. As for equipment, I am glad that I have the best possible equipment for that sport, because if I didn't, it would have taken a heck of a lot longer to finish.

The other reason why the latest equipment is better is because of the advances in understanding of bio-mechanics. For example, my paddles are ergonomically, bio-mechanically and hydronamically computer designed to make best use of the most relevant muscle groups and apply maximum pressure through the water with minimum applied effort. Therefore the result is a faster craft that moves with less paddler fatigue.

The same can be said of other sports too, say rowing, cycling, tennis, etc etc.

Snowboarding obviously has similar parallells. The manufacture of equipment, everything from board, bindings and boots, to outwear has progressed with purpose to make the experience one that can be sustained for longer. High tech under layers are just the next extension of this development to allow you to ride longer, harder, faster or whatever your preference is.

Astrokel said...

But do you think someone from the 1950's would've been laughing at the PLASTIC fleece you probably wear or those PLASTIC boots? I'm sure there a lot of skiers out there that think shaped skis are for wimps. Does technology help us do stuff or does it weaken us?

An addition to my previous post---I think at the very highest levels, technology definitely makes a difference. I'm talking about when the difference between you and your closest competitor is measured in hundredths of a second.

But a falsehood I hear a lot these days is how athletes in all sports are just getting "better." That's BS. True, athletes today have access to better gear, more scientifc training methods, and better sports medicine. But the character of athletes today is absolutely no different than it was 50 years ago. And I think you could argue that in many sports, it's worse today---because they're concerned with so much more than just excellence...like million-dollar sponsorship contracts, movie deals, etc.

I think every generation perpetuates its own fantasies that "their" athletes are the greatest ever. But if we could somehow have a "fantasy competition" where the greatest athletes of all generations competed together, I suspect we'd be shocked by how many of our modern-day athletes would be humiliated by athletes from generations ago (depending on the sport, obviously not counting brand-new sports!).

Scott

PS - Guess I derailed this thread, huh? Sorry Barry! :o

Astrokel said...

But if we could somehow have a "fantasy competition" where the greatest athletes of all generations competed together, I suspect we'd be shocked by how many of our modern-day athletes would be humiliated by athletes from generations ago (depending on the sport, obviously not counting brand-new sports!).

I agree with that 100%. I think that athletes today, excepting at the very elite level, rely too much on their equipment and not enough on their training. If you do the work, you will succeed; if you don't, you won't. Simple as that.

Still, it definately helps to be on at least (as close to) a level playing field as possible in terms of equipment.

As for the hypothetical race off, a few computer boffins actually simulated a race between Phar Lap (1930's era) and Makaybe Diva (2000's era), two multiple Melbourne Cup winning race horses and arguably the two best stayers in Australian racing history. The result was, over 2 miles, a short head to Makaybe Diva.

I'm always aware that in almost every sport I do, there is someone out there who is so much more skilled and practiced than I am that they could kick my butt with gear that's half the quality of mine.

Scott

It's that "kick my butt" thing that gets my attention. There are kind of two major threads of equipment development: how to do things better (faster, longer, higher, etc.) and how to do stuff easier/more comfortable. It seems the Coiler boards with their dampness approaches doing both, actually it seems that most stuff like that gets handed "down" to make the recreational rider's life easier as well. I'm definitely in the easier/comfortable category. My riding is completely non-competitive. If there is a judgment aspect of the sport for me it's aesthetic, how smooth that carve felt or how nice the the line of the person carving in front of me looks. But the competitive environment definitely contributes to the later. Enough of the hijack, sorry :o .

The second day out is usually the transition point for me for getting back to that magic moment of at least getting a peek at what your capable of and getting back on track to actually getting better, smoother and more confident. That first day is really uncomfortable because I know I can do better and confident that I can but I approach that "what the hell am I doing out here" moment every so often.

so in my case, our season is really only dec - mid march, and being mid atlantic, freakish warm spell is very possible. in addition, i have not been training like i should have since july. (I'm taking a break from krav maga, which was good overall conditioning and great cardio), but I've definitely improved my strength and overall cardio in teh short time i have been conditionin. my point is I don't have a long time to see the dramatic improvements that months (or longer) of working out (or whatever) will generally yield, and sportlegs is, to me, at least worth a shot. plus I don't have big, strong legs to begin with. I have a feeling I will be much better next time out, sometimes muscles just need to be "reactivated" I guess.

Scott, I will respectuflly disagree re: equipment and technology and character of athletes. you do not need to be a world class athlete in order to benefit from technology advances in gear. Many people overestimate their abilities that's human nature, but some boards will hold an edge better than others, etc.

I can't comment on the thermals but I have no reason to not believe any of the fellow BOLers who claim they work...

re: athletes, although I'm only 27, I would think most agree that athletes before my time had a LOT more character. of course teh lucrative deals and endorsements weren't so completely ridiculous, team LOYALTY existed, and athletes were much more of role models. Cal Ripken was the last of a dying breed. now many (not all) of them are sell out cry babies who complain when they are asked to wear a suit off the court, coordinate elaborate dances after scoring a touchdown, go to the highest bidder, talk trash about their own teammates, act dumb when asked about 'roids (schilling, mgwire, and palmeiro are pieces of sh*t!) and lastly, although many of them went to college, I'm not sure how many of them actually learned anything in college. that being said, i admit I watch NFL. many sources to blame, including us, the public...that's a whole 'nother topic, though.

===

Barry