Note to New Members ×

plates in the park

willywhit

LOL you just cant WAIT to drop that photo can you! :lol:

sorry guys, but it just doesnt look "right" or "stylish"

are we tryin to prove somethin here? hell...seen the pic of OCD launchin? Id like to see that one full size

any of you rail riders ever try an actual railslide instead of a 50-50? Seems like would be really funky with 50+ angles...

wish I had photos of me slidin rainbows in steamboat, or the time I slipped off a 50-50 on a tree, nailed my shin, caught my armpit, flipped around and dropped about 8' onto my HEAD. THAT looked slick ;)

D-sub, I have tried to slide alpine decks on a angle, its a bitch, even if you make the slide getting the board straight for the landing is next to impossible at least for me.

I have aired out the skinny stuff plenty though, I quit that a few springs ago, came up short trying to gap a patch of mud and got all messed up.

made it the first couple time though.

that reminds me Burton boots make this loud clunk when you land hard, I used to love that sound.

Railslides aren't a pain in the ass because of the angles. Good jibbing is one of the hardest things to do in alpine gear, because you have minimal ankle flexion, which is necessary to to freestyle. Plus the super-sharp edges tend to catch really easy.

Why would you want to jib in hard boots anyways---leave that for the kiddies :lol: just destroys your gear!!

The 50/50's seen above won't do anything to your gear unless there are burs on the rails. A boardslide only messes up your board if you don't keep it flat. Of course, on plates, it is much more difficult to keep it flat, so you may mess up your board that way.

Why would you want to jib in hard boots anyways---leave that for the kiddies :lol: just destroys your gear!!

maybe to some it is fun, and a challenge. some ex skaters that want to do railslides?

Lee...while you might be right about one part of your answer, I gotta disagree...50* + angles _do_ make it quite difficult to do regular railslides

maybe to some it is fun, and a challenge. some ex skaters that want to do railslides?

Lee...while you might be right about one part of your answer, I gotta disagree...50* + angles _do_ make it quite difficult to do regular railslides

I think you got the wrong poster ?

Just my 2 cents but, I think a lot of the jibbing stops when Mom quits footing the bill for new boards.
and medical :)

I think that the whole park thing is really misunderstood. Fifteen years ago, the above comments would have been made by skiers talking about snowboarding (take out jibbing and insert snowboarding). You guys sound like a bunch of old phart skiers in 1988 talking about snowboarders.

Rails, like anything else on a board can be taught safely. I have taught many middle aged people (both men and women) how to ride rails. I taught one forty something mother of two how to ride rails and she rides them better than her teenage sons.

The myth that rails trash boards is just that - and it seems to be perpetuated by those who do not ride rails (or do not ride them well). I ride rails almost every day - why? because they are there. If you look at my race boards, you will find no damage whatsoever. For that matter, if you look at my FS or FR boards, you won't either.

At most, someone may trash a board learning to ride them if they are not taught well, but once you learn the right way, it does no damage to the board.

As far as Mom paying the bills - I started riding in the late '80s and my parents never paid for a board. I worked for the money to buy all my own boards. Then I took them to the local parks when it snowed and I rode the handrails. I also never took advantage of their insurance for doing so. Thousands of rails later, I still have yet to damage a board.

This is the new face of snowboarding. Fifteen years from now, it will not even be questioned. If you are not going to do rails yourself - no problem, but try to embrace the diversity that is snowboarding. Better yet, embrace that diversity on hardboots.:biggthump

I am an "old phart" (60) and proud of it. I know that a lot of the jibbing is okay and the park obstacles don't damage a board (too much). But over the years, before resorts started setting up terrain parks, I saw too many kids "hitting" rocks and other obstacles that made me shudder at what it was doing to their boards and knowing for a fact that their parents bought their boards.