Note to New Members ×

will binding cant help boot pain?

Yard Sale

I use Head Stratos Pros in TD1 step-ins and my feet hurt like hell. With widened shells and new Sidas Conform'able footbeds, thing are better but my rear foot (right, regular) still hurts on the outside. I've got a 0 degree disk in front and a 3 in the rear. If I get a 6 will it lessen the pain from the outside of my foot getting forced against the boot shell?

Changing your canting can help with pain but no guarantees it will. An expert bootfitter, or a coach or seasoned rider with experience in these matters can probably help you get it figured out though.

What kind of pain is it? Is it more of a constant pressure pain, or it is it a small hotspot on a bony part of your foot, or on your big or little toe joint? Is your foot rolling inside the boot while you ride?

It's a constant pressure on the outside edge of my foot from about the middle to the toe. It does kind of feel like it's rolling, but it's not. It's like standing on one foot, on the side of the foot.

Oh I used to have that exact pain actually and have since resolved it. I have VERY flat feet so I pronate quite a bit. Canting the boots outwards helped, as well as custom footbeds. I ride pain free now, but it took many many trips to the bootfitter to get it right.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm now in Intuition liners and the shells have been widened again but I've still got the same pain. My foot hurt like hell for hours after coming off the mountain. In fact, it still hurts a little nine hours later. It's a cramp-like kind of pain on the bottom outside of my foot, not a pressure point.

My guess is that your foot is perhaps being raised too much on the arch, and that may be causing the burning pain down the side of your foot; the outside side right?

Alternatively, it may be a twisting motion; you are trying to force your foot away.

1. is your foot bed pushing hard against the sole of your arch? It may be molded too high or built up too much

2. are you running 50/50 foot angles? try moving your back foot angle to be at least 5 degrees less than your front foot, and the angle gap may help out

3. is the disk also raising the heel a little as well, otherwise it will be forcing the knee back and in, rather than forward only

Try lots of things, and it may help.

I would try molding your Intuition liner again. I experienced similar foot pain after the first time I tried to mold my Thermoflexes. I didn't keep enough weight on my foot while the liner was cooling, so my foot was not as wide, and the liners ended up being too narrow. Another molding session and all was right with the world. Aaaaahhhhh. (do them one at a time so you can properly weight each foot.)

Is it possible that your foot isn't relaxed inside your boot? Could be that your toes are working against you and trying to grab or pull. If your toes are clenching that can cause major foot pain and cramping. Also I do like Kipster and it made a lot of difference. Mine are 10 degrees different though.

Daneille

1. My footbeds are custom and comfortable.

2. My rear binding angle usually is a few degrees less than the front. I just checked the Prior 4x4 I rode yesterday and the TD1s are at 37 and 29. (I rode my narrower board at much steeper angles with the same pain.)

3. The TD1 cant disk raises straight back so the amount of heel lift depends on the binding angle. Not a lot of angle (29), so not a lot of lift.

It's very possible my foot isn't relaxed. In fact, on some hills my toes crunch up against the liners (26.2 foot, 26.5 Head shell, Alpine 8 Intuition liners) and I'm tensing or curling them to stop it. That could probably be cured by cranking down the main buckle to pull my heel back, but the #2 and #3 buckles caused pain when I tightened them.

ah....another thing I will comment on then.

If you are riding very flat angles like that, then maybe you can try rotating the plate around so it is highest point at the back of the board, lowest point towards the front of the board. If I am reading wrong, and you already did then that might help?

Next thing you could try is buckle tightness. On the heads, it should be the one pulling back and down (3rd buckle) that is pretty tight. The ankle should be tight enough that you could ride with just that one buckle done up. The 4th buckle up the calf should also be tight.

But the first 2, if you have foot pain, then should be no tension on the toe one (1st) and minimal tension on the 2nd. If the boots fit right, then you could ride with them almost undone IMHO. You may be crushing your foot by overtightening buckle number 2.

If the pain is only when you ride, rather than when you are walking around, the you might like to try widening your stance or even getting rid of the cant altogether. It sounds like you are rolling your knee to the outside, while you ride, which would put pressure on the outside of your foot. Eliminating the cant might help, or widening the stance might help.

It is a bit of trial and error. Applying some deep heat or voltarin type gels can help too because it reduces swelling and pain there. Also get super thin socks, there is one sock that is almost like a stocking, that will give you more room.

I went to the bootfitter yesterday and he ground a little on the footboard (not footbed). I rode today with zero foot pain.

Yes, some boots have some built in lift in the bottom of the shell (under the liner and footbed). AF600's have it.

Be sure to inspect the floor of the boot before changing footbeds.

--Hugh