Note to New Members ×

When to bust out the big gun?

Scorpio

Hmmmm...that would be TODAY :D

Put about 13-14 runs on the 197 Burner today - no crowds, nice hard pack. COLD! It got up to 12 deg F at the top (like at 1:30-2:00 PM) :eek:

Got my first day of carving in today too. It was freaking double thumbsup :biggthump:biggthump, awesome.

Only had time for a few runs though but Sun Valley is absolutely deserted right now. With perfect carvable chalk in most areas. The gun goo is sitting on top of many perfectly groomed runs which pisses me off only a little. Most runs had zero people on them. Wish you all were here. Now if I can only get my schedule figured out so I don't have to work for the next four months.

...to bust out our new quiver stick - burrrrrner 197 in aspen in feb. (thanks again benjamin!). i must say it's all in the confidence factor - riding a big board. you have to be comfortable knowing you can rack it around when you need to. i agree with most of the postings on length preferences - my bro and i prefer our fp185's (burners on fitting mountains). and even when it gets chopped up a bit too much or the crowd's a bit heavy - we move to the purecarve 175's.

always keep the big guns loaded!

That's cold? What do you consider warm? (FWIW I consider 12 F ideal weather).

Perhaps in your neck of the woods, that's balmy :D

It was actually colder at the bottom - when I arrived it was about 3 or 4 deg F. A little temperature inversion going on. I was layered up and just fine :biggthump

Balmy? No. But it's a nice temperature for riding, the snow stays light, you don't need more than a fleece and a shell, life is good. Too close to freezing and things are too soggy.

For me, warm is right around the freezing mark - here in Utah, snow conditions are usually fine. Any warmer, it starts getting too soft. Low/mid 20s is good :D

Sorry Scorpio, didn't mean to hijack yer thread :o

Back to topic:

I would probably only be comfortable on something 190+ on light/moderate crowded days and try to get runs in early. I found the Burner to be very predictable and was able to manipulate it pretty well in narrow trail sections. Even took it on a couple of narrow cat tracks to get to other areas (whistling and making noise as to warn any possible skiiers/riders around the corner) Where I ride does not have a lot of real wide open terrain. More medium-width trail system overall (I'm comparing to places like Park City which has several nice WIDE open runs).

Because the crowds were minimal yesterday, I stayed on that board all day - may also have to do with the fact that I was just lazy and didn't want to go back to the car to swap out rides :rolleyes:

most of the guys with these big boards (175+) are all out west, out here on the east coast there really isn't alot places where you can let these boards fly, i ride a 173, 167, and 160. Yeah i can take the 173 anywhere but its not as fun as the wide steep groomed trails. You west coast guys ever ride east?

I am a east coaster, still like the big stuff.

hell at wachusett its not unusual for me to ride a 190 if its not crazy busy.

burners are good for the versitility of the turn even the 197 you can make turns(with EFFORT!) that are in line with the turns I do on a 178 , but the 188 is a board that can really crank some stuff on the small side if you push on the nose.

Crowds and comfort play a more important role than anything else. I ride either my 179 fcII or my 178 volkl. I started the season on the volkl. Pcogan, all of 5'2" and 130lbs rode his 188 burner in all types of terrain today, from wide open groomers, to narrow liftline runs with a few bumps thrown in. In my honest, not overly well versed opinion, ride what you feel comfortable on :D

mario