Note to New Members ×

1991 burton pj7

scotts.Scheinman

Hi, I've got a PJ 5.3 (does anybody know what the number stands for?). I absolutely love it and I am constantly getting comments on "how I broke my board". As you can probably tell though, I am not the most experienced person regarding the comparison of boards. I also bought mine for fifty bucks brand new after it had been gathering dust in the store for nine years. Good luck!

I remember lusting after those old PJs, especially the ones with the crazy mixed black and white base. Some BS about working better than an all-carbon base... anyways, looked cool as hell.

They called it a Super Safari base if I remember correctly......I also thought that they look cool :biggthump:biggthump And still wondering how did they build that base? :eek: Are they die-cut base :eek: or just mixed when base materials get compressed?

I went out on a '92 PJ 7 with the same year Burton varplate binding and megaflex boots last season. It didn't ride all that bad, it took some getting used to. You have very limited stance options because of the old school 5-hole pattern, but all-in-all not as sketchey as I thought it was going to ride.

If purchasing for a peice of history and conversation peice, I'd pick one up in a heart beat. If thinking about riding one as a primary board.......you know the answer to that (I hope)

D-sub youre my alpine hero. you always know whats right. hot damn you should work for like an analyst company that analyzes snowboard stuff.;

whoah. I certainly wouldnt go that far.

if you indeed have an older one with 5 hole pattern, Phil is right, only the burton 5 hles will work (there might have been a couple others, but equally hard to find) or T-Nut something on there.

soon after they went to the 3D pattern

Burton 5-hole variflex, & maybe some of the old Elfgen/Nitro plates, not sure if they used the same 5-hole pattern. Anybody remember?

No, they used a different pattern. Or no pattern, IIRC my old Gnu Race Room had only one stance option, 45 degrees. May have been a little rotation possible, not much - I should look at it when I get home.

I just sold my '91 PJ7. It had the funky "super safari" base that referred to. I also sold (seperately) the vari plate bindings that went with it. I must say though I've never been told I broke my board when riding it. That is a new one. I remember laughing though when people asked me who autographed my board because of Peter Bauer and Jean Nerva's signatures at the tail. I'd still like to find a safari with the darth vadar bindings and give that a whirl some day. I had such great days riding that board.

I still have mine, I rode it for 3 solid years as my only board. It was a great board in its day despite the stubby nose's tendancy to auger in and launch me over the handlebars. However, you would be ruining a collector's item if you t-nutted it to mount modern bindings. Also, it's asym, and there's really not much point to learning how to ride an asym anymore. They're basically obsolete.

I went out on a '92 PJ 7 with the same year Burton varplate binding and megaflex boots last season. It didn't ride all that bad, it took some getting used to. You have very limited stance options because of the old school 5-hole pattern, but all-in-all not as sketchey as I thought it was going to ride.

If purchasing for a peice of history and conversation peice, I'd pick one up in a heart beat. If thinking about riding one as a primary board.......you know the answer to that (I hope)

i woulnt use it as a primary board.

I don't hate them, I just think they're obsolete as far as riding ability goes. They're kind of like 8-track tapes. Can you listen to music on them? Yes. Were they good in their day? Yes. Can they still be used? Yes. Can you still get them? Sort of. Will a 15 year old 8-track sound as good as a brand new CD? No.

What I do really dislike is people advising new carvers to go ahead and use asyms because hey, it's all good. It isn't. They have to be used with a different technique, so why should a new carver have to learn one technique only to find they have to unlearn it when they buy their next board? Dumb. I don't know if you're a new carver, I'm just saying that's the thing I hate about asyms.