Note to New Members ×

1991 burton pj7

scotts.Scheinman

Scott,

What every one is tring to say is that PJ went the way of non shaped skiis its a great board to hang on a wall but is not all that great to go ride by todays standards. I would not pay more then 150 for one with bindings that is ready to ride. And I would not ride it unless you had no other options. Some one has a batter board for sale some where on line that would really work for alpine snowboarding for the same great deal I am sure.

The PJ is a great board if you where getting it of the self brand new in 91. Its 2005 now, and it sucks by todays standards. If some one tells you other wise they dont have the experance to be giving good advice.

My take on the asyms is this: The purpose of the asym design was to put the rider's weight centered the same over the edge wether it was toe or heel side . With the non asym design the riders heel side is weighted further back on the edge than the toe side, consequently most riders will shift their weight onto their front foot to initiate heel side turns to bring their weight into a similar position over their edge as their toe side turn. So ,you do ride the two types of boards differently but it is a pretty easy change to make. I think the design was great but it fell out of favor mainly because shops had to invintory too much product, not because it didn't work.Another downside was you couldn't lend out a board to a friend of another footed persuasion.

It would be intresting to ride a new school asym like, let's say ,a custom coiler. I think we might all be pleasantly surprised.

By the way I've had a couple of asym carving boards and they were great. One of them was a gold pj 7.1 or 7.2 I think, with a black base. The pj ,being wider and softer isn't going to preform like a snapy race board but it was so fun. But it was at it's best on soft groomed , like one or two days after 8 or more inches of pow when a stiffer board tends to dig tooooo..... deep.

Just my take on it. Take the thing out . You'll have fun.

I had the Pj6 with the pink tail and the old four hole with rat traps!

Thing with Burton is any binding will do. just locate the binding where you want them cause after the next step you really can't move them too easily.. Now for the mounting.. place flat on a work bench with the bindings where you want them to be. Now take 2X4 nails and pound those suckers right through the binding holes and through the board.

Once all the nails are through,, now gently turn the board over not to scratch your work bench. Once the board is over and is resting on the bindings and the board is secure.. take the hammer an bend those nails over :biggthump in place, like when you mess up a nail that doesn't go in straight so ya just go ahead and keep pounding until that puppy is flush!.. you ride on the edge anyway.. and plus it acts as a breaking system when you get to the bottom..another plus!!

Right said Shred

Scott, I have been riding alpine boards since the pj era on. I still have a pj, as well as an symetrical board. It is no different then switching from a symetrical board to another symetrical board. At first it will ride slightly different. But, it can still be ridden effectively. I could take my pj out tomorrow and an hour later be turning just as comfortly on the pj as on a symetrical board. I think that the rider is more critical than the board. i.e. the board doesnt suck, the rider might, but the board doesn't.

My advise, find a setup thats comfortable, and then do what I did set your binding to something-something degrees, practice, practice, practice. Make any adjustments, and practice some more. Head out to Aspen for the SES and Fin will be able to tell you what your binding angles are. Because your bindings might be like mine, to worn to see the marks. -milwaukee jon- :D

Scott, I have been riding alpine boards since the pj era on. I still have a pj, as well as an symetrical board. It is no different then switching from a symetrical board to another symetrical board. At first it will ride slightly different. But, it can still be ridden effectively. I could take my pj out tomorrow and an hour later be turning just as comfortly on the pj as on a symetrical board. I think that the rider is more critical than the board. i.e. the board doesnt suck, the rider might, but the board doesn't.

:D

I follow your logic, but I really disagree with it. Trust me I'm the last person to blame equipment for rider error. This makes me question how well you are able to ride modern equipment.

Jack, I know of a few asym boards that make apperances at some events. You wouldn't know by glancing at them though.

D-Sub, there are a few people using TD2's out there, you do have a good point though. What works for racing dosen't always work the best for freecarveing and vice-versa. But if there were still Super-G races guys would be on 200+ cm boards.