Note to New Members ×

Yeah! Just ordered my Donek, help with bindings

Guest Thomas_S

Guest Thomas_S

Sorry if I'm sounded a little over the top right now, but I just ordered my new Donek 158 Hyunso Race. :D

Also got my name put in the base if some little ****er tries to steal it. I swear to god I'll shoot 'em :D.

Three weeks! Can't wait! Now, the real reason for this is to get a lil bit of binding help. I've narrowed it down to the Catek Olympic 2's, and the Bomber TD2's. Opinions for a 130lb ish rider?

Mike - prolly the suspension, although I'd like a mix of both.

bombers ARE a mix of both, although the catek has a suspension ring as well.

honestly...at your weight...you dont even "need" to spend the dough on such heavy duty bindings. by all means buy them if you want, but...you could get away with plenty of other options for a lot less $$

keep in mind that while TD2 cant/lift options arent infinite, theyre pretty flexible!

Guest Thomas_S
bombers ARE a mix of both, although the catek has a suspension ring as well.

honestly...at your weight...you dont even "need" to spend the dough on such heavy duty bindings. by all means buy them if you want, but...you could get away with plenty of other options for a lot less $$

keep in mind that while TD2 cant/lift options arent infinite, theyre pretty flexible!

Honestly, I've bought gear in the past that didn't last long, even when well taken care of. Snowboarding. Mountain Biking. Photography. Kayaking.

Its gotten to the point now where I'm gonna spend the money, buy quality, and not have to worry about a replacement for a LONG time.

done deal.

me personally...I actually prefer the simplicty of bombers. I had a pair of Olympics and fiddled with them for a while and just imagined myself caught up in tweaking them way too often.

I have TD2s with 3/3, and last year ended up with mostly lift/a little cant on the front, and split about even between cant/lift on the back.

they are powerful, solidly built bindings that will offer you years and years of durability. Im sure Oly's would last forever, too.

TD2s, to me = elegant, precise, and simple

for me it's the opposite...I find Cateks pure simple and elegant. Admitedly I'm supportive of the hometown company (I'm from Newport R.I.). Something to think about with the NEW Cateks lots of folks will have to have the latest greatest...a pair of OS1's will likely be able to be had for a bargin

ok ok...its all about west vs east

so if youre in the west, you have to buy bomber!

how you can say Cateks are simple when one could spend the rest of their lives tweaking cant and lift is beyond me!

:)

Gecko has a fine point about soon to be sales Id bet

I set them up once and adjusted them over 1 day and have left them since...for me it's about the ability to have my stance comfortable. The east west thing is rather amusing since TD's are arguably better for east snow and OS for west coast...

well...see...yorue THAT kind of person, and Im not. Id be tweakin all day and all night cuz Im stupid obsessive like that.

hilarious about the conditions though...youre right since bombers are a little more absorbing in theory, probably better for icy conditions, huh!

theyre both badass binders, no doubt, and you wont be making a mistake with either

Guest Randy S.

I echo most of what was said here. I'm partial to the Bombers because of the set-and-forget approach.

You'll love your new board. It will also have your name on the top as well (in the little specs box it will say made for: yourname.

Did you decide if you are going with Standard bails or Step-in? That will be another rambling thread...

I've never tried TD bindings, but lots of my friends ride them.

I got a pair of Catek Olympic standard bails (not the newest design) and I also ride the Olympic step-ins. They are kinda tough to adjust when you first get them, it is way easier if someone can tweak/adjust them with you and show you the ropes.

You can't go wrong with either one,

Hugh

Gecko,

cant and lift adjustments (as I wrote) equals fidgit ? :confused:

I ride cateks on my virus, then on powder or less groomed days I put them on my donek axis. And believe me, when you are changing bindings from one board to a whole different board, you are happy you CAN adjust cant and lift.

just my 2 cents though. I think bombers and cateks are both good products.

I know people here probably wont like this but:

I used to run TD-1s and recently switched to Burton Race plates at the advice of a teammate. My riding chaned a lot, for the better, i couldnt flex the TDs at all and the burtons all me to have more control. I know the TDs are amazing bindings and i am keeping them until i weigh a little more and can ride with them. I guess it is just preference in the end though...

Gecko,

cant and lift adjustments (as I wrote) equals fidgit ? :confused:

I ride cateks on my virus, then on powder or less groomed days I put them on my donek axis. And believe me, when you are changing bindings from one board to a whole different board, you are happy you CAN adjust cant and lift.

just my 2 cents though. I think bombers and cateks are both good products.

sorry spelled it wrong...as difined by Dictionary.com

fidg·et·ed, fidg·et·ing, fidg·ets

v. intr.

To behave or move nervously or restlessly.

To play or fuss; fiddle:

changing boards isn't really defined as fidget since you are essentially setting up a new board...with D-Sub fidgeting is definatly an issue

Is that why all the EC guys are using TD2s instead of Cateks? I don't think I've seen one case of Cateks on a Swoard. I've heard them bending TD2 bails though, hense the Titanium TD2 version.

I remember reading that thread awhile back on the Catek forum where they disputed the TD2 had better shock absorption claim, actually said the Catek was better. :argue:

I remember reading that thread awhile back on the Catek forum where they disputed the TD2 had better shock absorption claim, actually said the Catek was better. :argue:

If I remember right, one of the main contributors to said thread was an anti-Bomber fellow with a chip on his shoulder...

I found the TD2 w/ "original" yellow e-ring to be a noticably smoother ride than the "original" Olympic. The "new" yellow e-rings are even more dampened, based on a similar back-to-back test on the same board, same run. If a guy like me can notice... chances are so can you.

LIke others have said though, they are both kick@SS bindings and I think most of us would be happy riding on either one. I just happen to be partial to TD2's.

Is that why all the EC guys are using TD2s instead of Cateks? I don't think I've seen one case of Cateks on a Swoard. I've heard them bending TD2 bails though, hense the Titanium TD2 version.

And I pointed out that the Catek drawing of the differance was slanted in favor of the Catek, but a closer look at the drawings revealed a certain amount of mis-information bias on thier part. No one countered my assertation, so I think as I did then, that TD2's would have a more favorable bending moment at the e-ring than the Catek at the edge of the plate, favoring the TD2 as far as board dynamics are concerned. However the new Catek may change that.Haven't seen any real close-ups so I won't comment on that. That said at 160 lbs. I REALLY felt the difference in board interface stiffness when I switched fron Snowpro's to TD2s. Now am eagerly awaiting the Bomber RAB to come out to put a little of the flex needed where it belongs, in the boot.

Guest Thomas_S

I've opened up a very big can of worms. Sorry :D

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the help. I've got a week or so before I need to make the decision, so I've got some time to weigh the opinions. Thanks!

I'm also gonna be taking a close look at the classifieds.