Note to New Members ×

That time of the year....edge bevel question.

Miguel

I've been riding one degree side and one degree base bevel for several years although most riders seem to use two degrees on the side. I don't really seem to have any problem with slippage or chatter. I understand that one/one will give longer life to your edges. Any noticable advantages of a two/one setup?

Also...I bought a Prior Khyber and some soft boots last year. Any recommendations for edge/base tuning for that setup?

Miguel

It is all personal preference. At 2/1 I notice the board feel more engaged into the turn. To me, the board feels more commited which boosts my confidence.

For a board like the Khyber where you will potentially be riding all types of terrain (trees, bumps, pow), I would leave the edges at 1/1.

I have an edger from FK small file that can be moved in the groove for the base and side, just a brush occaisionally is all that is needed.

I run a permanent marker down the edge to just remove the marker, no more :) works for me BUT I only do the side rail as you can afford to file this when needed , got to go very careful with the base.

Carve On peoples

I'm still in the experimenting stage, and by no means an expert... but 2/1 for me, except one deck with 3/1. My tecnique is by all means still the limiting factor on ice... although some pieces of equipment (coiler, madd) and a good tune do make the learning curve easier and more fun :)

i just got my Donek FC1.

as many of you know, come un-detuned and with no beveling. anyone ride these w/ no beveling? should brand/model of board really be a big factor when beveling? recs for tuning this board. My trusted tech said i def. want to detune it, curious what others are doing.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Sorry, I dont agree with your trusted tech. Dulling the areas beyond the effective edge perhaps, but detuning only needs to be done if the board is too hooky for you to handle. Remember, its easy to remove edge material, but impossible to put it back on. Try it as is first at 90/90, then if the board is to catchy, put a .7-1.0 deg bevel on the base. For additional edge hold on ice, use a 2-3 deg bevel on the side.

If you're running GS with that board, you may want to detune the tail slightly, as Doneks run 0 taper, and may be a bit hooky if you want to skid a few turns.

Either way, wax it a few times, use it at stock edge bevels, then work from there. :biggthump

You'll have a blast on that board either way!

i just got my Donek FC1.

as many of you know, come un-detuned and with no beveling. anyone ride these w/ no beveling? should brand/model of board really be a big factor when beveling?

Barry

I've ridden a couple of Doneks with 0/0 beveling. Don't bother detuning at 0/0, it doesn't help at all. If you aren't used to 0/0 and are riding on firm snow, it can feel a bit dicey. You basically are on an edge 100% of the time and the board bites the moment you put any pressure on an edge.

What I've got my Nitro (too soft, too flexy AM alpine)

side: 87

base: 1

total: 88 edge angle

I'll be giving my 4807 a 1degree base bevel for sure, but I'm not so sure if I want to give it an 88 edge. I may anyway though. I only have a 87 sideedge guide right now.

For newbies, clickable thumbnail:

th_edge_angle.gif

DrCR

Neil, after reading a bunch of older posts and your post, I am leaning toward doing what you said, just makes sense. Donek Sean wrote in an old post to bring a stone to the hill. I better practice using a stone, lol. Anyway, my tech was specifically talking about the nose, (so that would be beyond the Effective edge). But now I'm thinking, if the nose doesn't come into contact with the snow, why even bother detuning it.

Barry