Note to New Members ×

Mid to late January Carve Session in Sun Valley.

carvedog

Just checking in to see if anyone might be interested in doing a two or three day carve session in Sun Valley.

The dates that would work best for me right now would be January 18, 19, 20. or the next week January 25, 26 and 27. That is a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of two consecutive weeks. No promises but I may be able to set something set up to access the mountain early (8:15 or 8:30) to shoot some video. Because midweek, early am (can be cold) in January is the best time of year to harvest early morning groom.

We could do a more beginner carve thing later in the morning and wrap up early to mid afternoon. For those who have not experienced the terrain here - it is incredible carving and hardly anyone here that time of year. If wide open, steeper carving terrain, impeccably groomed sounds good to you. Then get in touch.

I will be here regardless I just want to share this with a few selected nutballs who like this as much as I do.

Jerry

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tim Tuthill

Jerry: Could be there? I have a friend that has a Pioneer condo at the base of Warm Springs. I think that's the same time he was talking about getting together. Stay in touch. Tim

Jeez you are making it tough jerry. I might have to break out the frequent flier miles. I will be there for xmas just in time for the annual touron migration.

I see you are going to SES this year. Sweet! I am trying to get time off right now. At least I get bonus tickets now since my bro works for SV. :o

SV Rips

We will keep working of this. Thanks for the posts. Sun Valley is the best resort for carving that i have ever been to. January is the best time of year because the snow is usually great and has recovered from the Christmas horde. :biggthump

The feedback that i have heard, if you have not been here, is that it is steeper groomed terrain than other areas have. :p - this is a good thing. Impeccable grooming and I have been teaching here for 11 and riding for 15, so I can get us to the goods when we need to be.

I will see what the Co will do for us ( usually not much).

Jerry

Sounds like my kind of mountain. Been by there several times on the way to Redfish Lake (via Galena pass) during the summer. It's a beautiful area. I always look out my car window and say to my wife: "I'm gonna ride that place one of these days, so help me!" Always seeing it green and lush - no snow! ENOUGH! Time to try it out!

It's about a 3.5-4 hour drive from my place - strongly considering it! Maybe I could drive up one night and find someone willing to let me crash at their pad?

Oh, and the Burner WILL definitely come out to play :biggthump

Kirk,

There are spots on this mountain that were created for a Burner, as I found out the first time I rode one. Not that others don't work great but I am glad you are a part of the split tail posse.

Part of the reason of trying to do this is just to share the underharvested corduroy with some of my carving brothers and sisters. The other reasons are all selfish. I like to watch other good carvers because, in the words of one of valleys famous residents and gov. of CA, it will pump you up.

The other selfish reason is that if we are travelling in a group of several good carvers you can freeze skiers in their bindings like deer in the headlights and I/you still get the whole run to yourself. Even with the few people that are here in January, no skiers are on the run are better than a few skiers on the run.

You must be close to Snowbasin if memory serves me right about where Layton is. A horrible place to carve as it has always been about 6-8 fresh every time I have been there.

Best,

Jerry

Jerry,

I like your philosophy! (especially the "no skiiers better than fewer skiiers" :p ). Are there other local carvers there that you regularly hook up with?

Actually, Snowbasin has some fun places to carve - grooming is decent, but not 1st rate. Wildflower (when not crowded) is incredible. It's part of the 2002 downhill course (women's). Plenty of other spots as well. I go mostly because it only takes me about 20 min. to get there!

Sounds like you hit it on the days where freshies were available - fun place for that too!

Been talking to the mountain about discount lift tickets. Nothing for sure yet but looking possible to partly promising with intermittent clouds. Art I would love to ride with you whenever you get here. Andy - I am pretty committed to the midweek thing but if some of the guys were sticking around for the weekend we could still do some damage to the groom.

Art and Mike have ridden here and know the terrain. Early morning midweek in January and you can sometimes get Warm Springs with no one ( Repeat No One) on it.

Jerry

Guest Tim Tuthill

Hey: I forgot! That's where I first rode an Alpine board!! John Goodwin puts me on this thing and says "Don't Surf" Yea right??? It is a skiers mountain! They go fast and that's where you can get in trouble. The amount of Alpine riders has droped big time in the last few years. The last time I rode there, a ski patrol guy told me to be carefull off of one of the runs at Seattle ridge. With my turns you are blind to traffic. Now that's good, a ski patrol guy trying to help an Alpine guy?? Mid river run natural half pipe, Upper and lower College. Great right hand bank at the end of lower College!!

The promotions manager at Sun Valley said he thought he could swing a discount lift ticket if we had 25 people. May have to be prepay for the lift tickets as it is not tied to the lodging and it is only for three days. This is unheard of in incredibly tight world of Sun Valley Company ski area management.

Also Jim at the Board Bin is interested in participating beyond just coming riding with us. I only had a couple of minutes to talk with him but he was excited.

I am working on lining up one of three different people I know to shoot video with us each morning for an hour or so depending on their schedule.

One of the guys has shot for Warren Miller before so who knows???

Early am access to the mountain, I am pimping it as access to shoot video, was deferred to someone else - still working on that.

Jerry

I am up for some days at Sun Valley</ST1:p. It has been about 2 years since I have been there. I have even purchased the discount ticket pass the last 2 years(offered to Idaho residents with other season passes) and have not been able to get there, usually due to work. One sometimes forgets how much fun that mountain can be.

The earlier dates, January 18, 19, 20, would better fit into my schedule as it stands now.

kt<O:p</O:p

Guest Tombo28

Cool, I just found this message board and it turns out there are a bunch of carvers coming to my town this winter. Awesome! I can't wait to join the carve session.

Jerry, I think I met you a couple of times last year on Warm Springs, I was wearing a blue helmet and riding an F2. Anyway, count me in!

Now I've gotta start looking for a picture for my avatar.

Hey guys nice to hear the interest in our little hill. Johnny and Tombo it will be good to ride with you both again. Tombo, if you are interested in sponsoring a crash zone for our travelling buds let me know. I may have a spot or two as well at my house for you guys trying to save your money for beer instead of Hotel. :sleep:

Warning: I do have a four year old and one that will be a year in January. Anyone else?? Buehler??

Let the trenching begin.

Jerry

Hey guys nice to hear the interest in our little hill. Johnny and Tombo it will be good to ride with you both again. Tombo, if you are interested in sponsoring a crash zone for our travelling buds let me know. I may have a spot or two as well at my house for you guys trying to save your money for beer instead of Hotel. :sleep:

Warning: I do have a four year old and one that will be a year in January. Anyone else?? Buehler??

Let the trenching begin.

Jerry

Jerry,

I may take you up on that! I'll probably only get one day in and would love a place to crash just overnight.

As far as kids go - I deal regularly with an 8, 2, and 1 year old. The two year-old is a regular occupant in our bed :rolleyes:

Kids are NOT a problem!

Actually kinda fun to have around :biggthump

Yes folks it is true. We had about 4-6 in town last night :biggthump with top of all mountains covered solid white ( very little sage poking through). Too early to get too fired up but it sure is nice to see. Snowing now and supposed to continue if you believe the Fantasy Channel. AKA The Weather Channel. :sleep:

Nothing else new to report, been too busy at the shop to do much else.

Best,

Jerry

Didn't see this post the first time around…

Glad I read it. Brings back lot's of fun memories. Jerry, I must have met you before, I taught for Sun Valley from 94 – 98. I had forgotten Jim’s name from the Board Bin. Glad to hear they are still doing well.

I am planning a trip to Ketchum over the Xmas break (only through New years, unfortunately). I’ll work on the boss to see if I can adjust the vacation time to later in the month.

Have fun,

Scott