Note to New Members ×

OT: favorite desktop (<---geek thread!)

bobdea

just wondering what the favorite is with some of you, I just installed fedora core 4 on a intel box here and I went with gnome, I am impressed, gnome has come a long way since the last release that I used some years ago.

this makes me wonder if I really like KDE as much as I thought I did though.

So in this new found love of the gnome desktop I am trying to install it to run in OS X via fink/apt-get as well since the machine I use the most is a mac, looks like it's gonna take ages to compile but by tomorrow I should have it installed.

I am torn between KDE and XFCE. Very different desktops, different goals, but I like them both. I like the look and feeling of Gnome (stylish and not extravagant), but not the functionnality. KDE is nice, has everything, but a little too much eye candy. It feels more Windows than Unix/Linux. XFCE is nice, lightweight and has some good functionnality. It is a little more minimalist, which I like, a little like my distribution of choice: Slackware (which released 10.2 a about 2 weeks ago).

KDE has nice eye-candy, and seems to be nicely designed with things like dcop. I like the KDE apps better too - things like Amarok (best music player EVAR) and KMail. I still use Firefox instead of Konqueror for the web, although Konqueror is a much nicer file manager than Nautilus.

True story - a consultant at my company was having trouble moving some files from one directory to another. I told him "just open a command prompt". He responded, "what's that?".

This guy was a Lotus Notes developer. A developer.

In this guy's defense, you can be so caught up in the your particular tree that you don't know the forest.

I'm an amateur astronomer and it seems like, at least once a year, some professional researcher writes in to Sky and Telescope with a letter wishing he could pick out the individual constellations like he could when he was a kid

In this guy's defense, you can be so caught up in the your particular tree that you don't know the forest.

I'm an amateur astronomer and it seems like, at least once a year, some professional researcher writes in to Sky and Telescope with a letter wishing he could pick out the individual constellations like he could when he was a kid

agreed with skatha. I use to work at a software development company. One of the programmers who designed a complete accounting system off of the basic language used to come to me all the time for basic computer questions. The best one I could remember is he had no idea how to ftp a file to a remote system. Yet he could search millions of line of code to find/fix a problem

you can be so caught up in the your particular tree that you don't know the forest.

Excellent analogy! I'll have to use that on occasion. :biggthump

Back on topic: I like KDE for the eye candy, but prefer using Gnome for efficiency, especially on slower boxes. For about 8 years now I've been using Linux here and there, but by no means am I expert; more of a random hobbyist.

Also, I prefer Fedora Core (The last one I used successfully was 2 ...) but like Suse for what seems to be really good plug and play. There are many I haven't tried, such as Debian or Slackware, but they are on my list. Knoppix was really neat, especially because it can be run from a CD: Great for using Linux anywhere, and for recovering files from a crashed system.

One of these days I'll get a new box to play with, and will get back into the Linux groove. :)

True story - a consultant at my company was having trouble moving some files from one directory to another. I told him "just open a command prompt". He responded, "what's that?".

This guy was a Lotus Notes developer. A developer.

You said it, a developper. Good programmer != good computer user. Some people are really good at programming or reading and understanding code but now $h!t about computers. Programmers are mostly good in math or logic functions and stuff like that. I've seen plenty of people while studying at university level who where like that: they knew how to program, compile, test, etc, but they were not good at computers, never touched Windows or did not even own a computer.

so I figured why not run all my desktops at once :biggthump

I was amazed at how well KDE runs in Mac OS even if I use apple's quartz-wm, gnome on the other hand gets fussy if I try to use quartz-wm.

the only issues I had while installing KDE were that for whatever reason I had to compile some of the packages(python) alone for reasons unknown to me and getting X11 to work the way I wanted it to, Apple for some reason made it so you had to click any window running in X11twice to make it active in their version of X11, who ever came up with that idea at apple needs a kick in the nuts.

Excellent analogy! I'll have to use that on occasion. :biggthump

Back on topic: I like KDE for the eye candy, but prefer using Gnome for efficiency, especially on slower boxes. For about 8 years now I've been using Linux here and there, but by no means am I expert; more of a random hobbyist.

Also, I prefer Fedora Core (The last one I used successfully was 2 ...) but like Suse for what seems to be really good plug and play. There are many I haven't tried, such as Debian or Slackware, but they are on my list. Knoppix was really neat, especially because it can be run from a CD: Great for using Linux anywhere, and for recovering files from a crashed system.

One of these days I'll get a new box to play with, and will get back into the Linux groove. :)

Debian is great, not always pretty or user friendly but it does handle packages well, some time I wanna give ubuntu a try, its based on debian but I hear its more user friendly.

The biggest problems I have had with debian have been getting it installed, in some cases it was futile in particular on PPC.

I use apt and a couple other of the debian tools in OS X as well, with out them I would not be running KDE on this machine.