Note to New Members ×

Femmes & Enfants

Zone

Why on earth aren't women and children interested in carving?

Too geeky, too much like the engineering type? G force does not equal orgasmic pleasure? Gentle touch of a soft glide/slide on the snow feels better than hard edge on cord (sleeping in 400 count sheet and feather bed rather than tumbling on hard snow comes to mind)?

What gives...:confused:

Guest Randy S.

This week (probably on Christmas day when there's no ski team) I'm starting my 9 year-old on a carving board. Last year he rode a 95cm twin-tip with 2-buckle ski boots. This year he has a 125 Rabanser carving board (probably too big for him - it reaches his forehead) and little tiny Raichles from Bomber. He's very proud of the board - been showing it to everyone that comes by the ski cabin. I'll try to remember my camera and post some pics and his experience.

Guest woodman

second season. I just ordered him a new 135cm F.P. from Klugriding.com (my fingers and toes are crossed). He started out on a DPQ 120cm with step-in clickers and graduated to a 136cm Rossi accelerator with Burton carrier bindings last season. He was linking turns and actually leaving tiny trenches on his toe side by mid season. This year I'm stepping up his training and going with better board/bindings but can't find real hard boots in his size (21.5 mondo) I'll post some pics from last year (PSR & CMC remember, it's an optical illusion.....he's not set up pidgeon toed....:D ) and send new pics of him and his new gear when we go at the end of this month,

Good carving,

Paul

My wife and I started boarding 1990 with a Burton/softboot set up. We switched to plates/hardboots during that first season and never looked back... My wife would never go back to softies.

She converted a couple of softie ladys to hardbooters...But it is a slow looong journey...one at the time...

I just started teaching my wife how to ride hard plates (no soft boot experience at all, pulling her straight from skis to hard plates). This means i am spending alot of time "teaching" free "lessons" while at the WA. If you ever want to meet up, let me know. The more the marrier. Right now, I am teaching vanessa, as well as one of her friends (on softboots), and can easily take on a third or fourth.

-Todd

-- I just married a carver and she's been riding plates for about 3 years now. To top it off, she knows that the best riding and untouched cordoroy is the first 2 hours of the day so we're out there (usually) for the 1st chair.

Lucky,

JP

Originally posted by ~tb

I just started teaching my wife how to ride hard plates (no soft boot experience at all, pulling her straight from skis to hard plates). This means i am spending alot of time "teaching" free "lessons" while at the WA. If you ever want to meet up, let me know. The more the marrier. Right now, I am teaching vanessa, as well as one of her friends (on softboots), and can easily take on a third or fourth.

-Todd

Todd, thank you!! what days are you at the WA?

wednesday nights don't work for me due to dance... are you up there any other days? I'd sure love to get some time in with a person who knows what they're doing! :) i supposedly will be allowed to go back to normal activity in january according to my dr. so i do appreciate the offer.

There are quite a few young carvers at Stratton on a regular basis. I saw four or five this weekend a couple of which were girls. There are also a bunch of woman that carve ther regularly. My wife is one of them, she has been carving for 10 years and can rip with the best of them. (especially on her new Madd)

Guest Marilyn Cambers

I'm a beginner and learning from the best instructor in the world, ahem you know who you are! I skied once in my life, ah, in another life ... I wanted to get into winter fun, but NO ONE I knew would go with me to ski or snowboard or was even vaguely interested, I don't know something about gravity and too much weight .... Well until 2 years ago, and now this year, I've decided to go for the alpine race board! It's definitely a rush! Only been out three times, but the best two were first thing in the morning, first chair! Didn't like that afternoon mess!!

I've been getting lots of questions from female skiers and freeriding kids - wow cool board & boots - where'da get those, what is that? Tons of kids are on freeride boards, but few women. Have only seen a few men out on alpine boards.

I think women don't get involved because first, they don't have the same strength as men ... Second, men are naturally crazed and fearless, so they are naturally inclined to snowboarding!

Hey you guys ... come on ... get more women interested!! It's great fun, great exercise, you get to meet some really cool people, and the satisfaction that's you get afterward, ahhhhhhhhh. You've gotta help women understand that the G-force IS closely related to orgasmic pleasure!!!! mmmmmmmm................

Marilyn ;)

My wife was already a snowboarder, so here's the steps I took to convert her:

1) Bought her alpine gear

2) Got a suckful fitting of the liners

3) She hated it

4) Back to softboots

5) Worked on moving her angles up to 45F/40R on her freeride deck

6) Found a decent bootfitter who knew how to properly cook TF liners; had him install HotTronics under the footbeds for those really cold days

7) Back to hardboots at 50F/45R and an easy deck (she likes it! COOL!)

8) Attend SES; feel the love.

9) SeanC gives her a half-hour lesson; she's hooked.

I recommend skipping steps 2 and 3. Pay special attention to step 9, which is otherwise stated as, "Find her the best carving instructor you can, then leave them alone!"

joe...

PS. Did I mention SeanC is The MAN?

9) SeanC gives her a half-hour lesson; she's hooked.

I recommend skipping steps 2 and 3. Pay special attention to step 9, which is otherwise stated as, "Find her the best carving instructor you can, then leave them alone!"

joe...

PS. Did I mention SeanC is The MAN? [/b]

I think that Sean C (if we talk the same) had at least 4 I know of in Sun Peaks..........in carving setups.............still he is cool

Honestly ain't the man, but very happy to see that your gal is still diggin on the carve stuff. As Kenny T would say, the bag of voodoo just keeps on getting bigger, so I'm looking forward to getting with you guys again at SES and seeing what else we can do...

Happy Holidays,

Sean

We have a lady on the Northern Michigan Alpine team. This is going to be her first year on a carving setup, but she can already carve pretty well on softies. On a side note, I'll be sure to ask her opinion of the G-force thing after our race in Afton the first weekend of the new year ;)