Note to New Members ×

Binding Angles for 18 cm wide board - Help/Suggestions

mtracz

Hello All, 

I'm looking at an 18cm wide board and am concerned about binding angles and boot out. 

I currently ride two 19.5 cm wide boards with 27M boots (Deeluxe Track 325) with 60 and 65-degree angles. Will I fit on an 18cm wide board? If possible, I'd like not to go custom, and I'm open to going steeper, but I'm not sure what becomes too extreme. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful! I dig it here, great group. 

Best,

_Mike

I rode 18.5 cm wide board with Deeluxe last season and UPZ mp 28 this season and did just fine with 60 degrees.  Could even drop the rear foot to 55 degrees to test.  Once you try a 20 cm wide after doing that, you’ll be saying “dang, 20 cm is SLOW to turn”. Have fun and hope season is still rocking. Ours is still cruising along.

• Like 1

Don't concern yourself with the angles at all. Set the rear boot to the edges, or slight overhang, front boot to desired splay and go ride. It works for any board width. Our bodies are super adaptable. After few runs you get used to any new angles. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BlueB said:

Our bodies are super adaptable. After few runs you get used to any new angles. 

So true! Just try it, it's a small change. 

You may find you have a preference for how your riding style changes at lower or higher binding angles.

20 cm is the baseline that works for 90% of people. Then try narrower and wider to see if you like them. 

My personal preference: Under 20 cm feels more like a skwal, with toe and heel side turns feeling more similar. I'm gravitating more towards the wider end of the spectrum, it feels more like snowboarding. I've been absolutely loving a 23 cm waist board this year, and now my 20s feel narrow. 

Others love 14 cm boards. 😃 But you don't know until you try. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! I’m thinking I should give it a go and stick with the board as designed. I was afraid to go custom on something that has been tested and so many enjoy. 

Now if only the snow would come back!

• 2 weeks later...