Note to New Members ×

Carve Steady

snowburn

Shot 1993.

Apart from needing an advisory about stances, so much good stuff here in terms of drills and technique. Riding early 90s boards these guys are carving up groom yes, but also lumpy stuff, off piste and handling real moguls.

Great to see much knee shock absorption is being used to handle these varied conditions.

I will be adding this vid to my YouTube collection.

Good old days. I remember on my Lacroix Nidafly I  had binding set up at about 15”. You had to  actually drill the holes. No inserts. The board had metal plate inside. You pretty much had one shot where to put it. Over weekend I started experimenting with narrowing stand again. My stand is narrow to compare most of you guys anyway, but I must go narrower as wider stand putting  unpleasant stretch  on my stoma bag on belly. Pretty much I had to change everything, stand, board, boots. That’s goal for the rest of season, find the most comfortable way how to continue. Maybe I am closing the circle.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Brings back memories.

My first hip-dragging railing on an alpine hard-boot set up was in the summer of 1990; I was 16, and hooked. It was first on borrowed K2 prototypes, and then later on Nitro EFTs after they signed me up.

I remember distinctly watching from the Palmer lift as US ski team coaches turned backs to their own race lanes to rubberneck the alpine riders, the MBSEF crew especially, laying down highly angulated pencil-thin rails on the brutal salted frozen morning cords. They’d never seen such turns, and skis got side-cut soon thereafter.

There was hot debate that summer about the efficacy of asym tech. Most boards were asym. Some of us argued the opposite — that the heel side core profile, given body mechanics and boot leverage, should be shifted forward, not back. 

Then, prophetically, Rossignol’s first 173 and 183 VAS prototypes showed up in July. Allegedly designed by their race ski engineer, they boasted forward-shifted profiles that landed squarely on one side of the snowboarders’ asym debate. By all accounts, these boards railed harder - with better edge hold - than anything else to date. 

Edited by TWM
  • Like 1

Rossi VAS!  I was working as a ski and snowboard instructor in CT, riding a first-gen PJ when a Rossi rep that I knew through windsurfing asked if I wanted to try their new board- it was a black 163 with the R logo and "test" in yellow on the top sheet.  Compared to the movements required to get the PJ to hook up, the Rossi was effortless.  I rode it at Pico for the first time and did a full 360 carve, much to the amazement of myself and the skiers I was with.  Back in those days I was barely cracking 150 lbs, so when the 173 came out, I could barely turn it- it was a big feller's board without question.  I stayed with Rossi for years, even through the Throttle models (which cupped something fierce over time).  I did dabble with the super-duper asym Aggression boards for a while, but those were even more funky on steep terrain than the PJ models.  

• Like 1