Note to New Members ×

Off-Snow training

Hambishham

I'm wondering what off-snow training do you specifically do that can correlate towards the racing season. I'm in the off-season right now (Im southern hemisphere), and I'm wondering what training can i do exactly to build up the strength to perform?

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing?branch_used=true

just a overweight 60 year old hack weekend warrior needing knee replacements so take my advice with a tablespoon of coarse salt. Through the years ive done heavy squats and deadlifts blah blah blah..., this is a brutally efficient bodyweight circut that will probably make you curl up on the floor crying in the fetal position. Ive adjusted the exercises to my stance, and do the jump squats in stance, and side to side mimicking transitions from heal to toe to heal to toe and on and on. Not a trainer by any means, but worth a shot. Read the article, it is an eye opener

Mario

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Odd Job said:

You want a trainer and maybe a physical therapist if needed.

Don't be cheap. Spend $$$$$. It's a rich people sport.

Or don't spend $$$ if you can self motivate. There are so many good resources out there for free or cheap. Look up Alan Thrall, Barbell Medicine, etc. 

If you need someone to yell at you (and we all do sometimes), then you're back to spending $$. 

• Like 1

I just realized I confused racing with semi-serious/serious (going pro). If you are pro, or going pro, I would never skimp. Otherwise, anything goes.

Although if you have the money and not the time, go for a professional consultation.

There is also MobilityDuo; the guy Mark has a Doctorate in PT. Both owners are snowboarders.

15 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I just realized I confused racing with semi-serious/serious (going pro). If you are pro, or going pro, I would never skimp. Otherwise, anything goes.

Although if you have the money and not the time, go for a professional consultation.

There is also MobilityDuo; the guy Mark has a Doctorate in PT. Both owners are snowboarders.

Yeah, I'm doing Mobility Duo at the moment, just not sure if that would suffice you know.. But yeah I might stick to it and just increase the intensity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 6:54 PM, big mario said:

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing?branch_used=true

just a overweight 60 year old hack weekend warrior needing knee replacements so take my advice with a tablespoon of coarse salt. Through the years ive done heavy squats and deadlifts blah blah blah..., this is a brutally efficient bodyweight circut that will probably make you curl up on the floor crying in the fetal position. Ive adjusted the exercises to my stance, and do the jump squats in stance, and side to side mimicking transitions from heal to toe to heal to toe and on and on. Not a trainer by any means, but worth a shot. Read the article, it is an eye opener

Mario

this is super interesting! I'm not sure my 60 year old busted up, post surgery, knees and ankles can handle that high impact leg buster workout...but I love the concept of eccentric being more relevant for offseason training than concentric.  

Side note:  I was discussing this with a fellow boarder / physical trainer, and he thinks the plyometric nature of the leg burner off season workout, more so than eccentric or concentric nature of the workout, is the important quality to include in your leg workout to be in shape for the next season.

• Like 2