Note to New Members ×

Jeremy Jones Comes Out With His Own Softboot Carver Line!

barryj

1 hour ago, Odd Job said:

I would order an SBX board or some derivative of it for pure softboot freecarving performance anyways.

I discussed the BX shape with Bruce when ordering mine.  His comment was that the BX shape "is for on piste only and can really go under in softer stuff."  Being that I ride primarily in the west I didn't want something that restrictive.  If  I'd gone BX the board would have been 6 or 7 cm shorter with the same EE.

As far as double digit sidecuts go, I think Jones knows his market.  I'm just a little surprised that he uses the same radius at every length.  I wanted it a bit longer so I specified 10m.

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I'm just a little surprised that he uses the same radius at every length.

the 9000 is sized 152-164 and sidecut goes 9-9.6. it's minor, but factored accordingly per manufacturer. anyone here want to invest to design a line of boards?

i don't think Jones uses this term, but this "volume shifted" term is used with some boards and manufacturers. it is a confusing term to understand and feel that misinformation is being thrown out there to simply sell boards and not necessarily size boards correctly for the rider. kinda grinds my gears. this is a common term used in shops. i know this crowd understands the bs behind this term, but this is the market Jones is marketing to. understand that. he does, and is walking a fine line with this new line of boards. as i've said before, it is well thought out and it introduces this niche to the mainstream. i say, well done. now, this scoop thing is something i just can't get behind. what do you mean it's 100 for basic tune? sign says 50. those poor tech's. i feel for em.

I don’t agree with just getting an SBX board. They are not amazing carvers in my opinion. They are not designed for it; BX course aren’t designed for carving. They’re designed for banked turns that don’t ever go across a hill. You probably won’t find a BX board with a waist width above 26cm, either….

On 1/10/2024 at 8:35 PM, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I don’t agree with just getting an SBX board. They are not amazing carvers in my opinion. They are not designed for it; BX course aren’t designed for carving. They’re designed for banked turns that don’t ever go across a hill. You probably won’t find a BX board with a waist width above 26cm, either….

Tried several BX boards. They want to go straight IMHO. Not “turny”.

Yeah. They’re designed for the highest speed in the straightest line, base flat as much as possible. Ideally not carving and certainly not across the fall line. And  the flex pattern certainly doesn’t contemplate riding anywhere but a BX course. 

I would personally recommend a longer-sidecut all mountain board before a BX board for fun all-mountain carving.

the jones is a free carver, hence the name. bx boards are race boards. both can do anything the rider is capable of, but they each have their best intentions designed into the board. same goes for all mountain boards vs free ride boards. huh? see, it can be confusing in the mainstream world. splitting hairs that don't need to be split. each rider can define their riding differently. run whatchya brung

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dhamann said:

the jones is a free carver, hence the name. bx boards are race boards. both can do anything the rider is capable of, but they each have their best intentions designed into the board. same goes for all mountain boards vs free ride boards. huh? see, it can be confusing in the mainstream world. splitting hairs that don't need to be split. each rider can define their riding differently. run whatchya brung

Do you mean to say that board design is irrelevant? Because this forum is full of technically minded people who love to discuss the relative merits of gear design. 

7 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Do you mean to say that board design is irrelevant?

don't know where you get this, but absolutely not. if you're referring to the splitting hairs, this is in reference to the mainstream free ride vs all mountain groups. these terms are one and the same to me. even if they're defined, anyone but the nerds are going to grasp. nothing wrong with being a snowboard nerd. the 6000 and 9000 version of what this thread is about starts to open the eyes of sidecut to production board buyers (most) and clearly define this spec. they're not all fixed at 6m or 9m. let's start there. for the custom nerds, we know there is a lot going on in terms of board design; ie sidecut/effective edge/flex need to get along. this free carver pretty much nailed it with regards to the numbers alone for a production board with a fairly clear design and intentions of use. at least for a 9-10.5us size boot on hardpack groom.

capable may be a strong word. too much gray area i guess. all boards can carve. the intentions of the design of the board matters 50%, no matter if it's mainstream or custom. without question. the other connecting equipment and rider skill and talent make up the rest. total guesstimate on the 50% and bias may play a factor here. do socks play a factor? where's the line? it all matters at the end of the day so to be fixed on just a board may be a little bit user error or otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dhamann said:

mainstream free ride vs all mountain groups. these terms are one and the same to me.

I think for sure there’s confusion on those terms and a lot of overlap in the commercial designs. But to me an all-mountain design has to handle park and a freeride design has to float well in pow and handle significant speed. Think Mountain Twin vs Flagship in Jones’ line. There’s overlap for sure but ultimately those boards are targeted at different people. 

But I digress. 

twin is zero setback, zero taper. this is freestyle to me. flagship huge shovel nose, directional everything (not twin) 20mm setback. not even gray, but i hear ya. korua does well with their marketing too. so many boards to use as examples. for instance the nitro pantera is a freestyle board in it's actual ride characteristics to me with just a 15mm setback. soft! the 9000 free carver has 40mm setback. every board has their place (if they're wide enough for you). just buy em all, right? problem solved. haha

• 1 month later...