Note to New Members ×

OT: waaaaaaay OT....

Aisling

I'll chime in to set the precedents early, and tell the family what you are doing, and do what you need to do so that you and he are happiest. pretty much the old "you can't please all the people all the time" philosophy.

personally, I am ok travelling around during the holidays to see family, but once kids are in my equation, I want to be a host as much as possible. X-Mas morning will be in my house...My brother feel the same way, and he's in colorado now, so there won't be many christmases together, but hopefully I'll be out there often enough to ride that it won't matter...after all, Its just a day...

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy with a Brazilian guy, or any guy with a foreign accent...yowza! :1luvu:

Michelle,

be careful, brasilian guys tend to be macho and arrogant. You're way too independent to be treated the way most brasilian men treat thier women.

Always exceptions to the rule, tho.

edit:

dano just sent me this, too funny not to post

LMAO! Way too funny, thanks.

I voted this best of.

re: PARANORMAL in your home?

Reply to: pers-470659304@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-11-06, 12:38PM EST

Yes! I believe that my wife was replaced with an imposter, like invasion of the body snatchers! when we met, she was fun, friendly, thin and we had sex several times daily, anywhere! in the car, in the kitchen, shower, baseball field, beach you name it! Now her doppleganger is a crabby, fat, sexless monster who whines and produces joyless negativity and the sex doesn't happen anymore. Can you help exorcise this demon?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/rnr/470675647.html

my wife ain't too hard the eyes :cool:

You, on the other hand...

I'd hang onto that one if I were you. :p

Pup: you just figure it out with the divorced parent, multiple locations, kids, etc. deals at the holidays. It causes some strife, but you make it work for you, your SO, and any of your kids. The rest is secondary. Oh, and if you expect to pick a neutral place and have everyone go there, you better be darned rich. Because the other family members are not going to be real happy about paying their way to get to this thing that you organized (unless they are rich too).

And as for foreign-born vs. well travelled. In my experience, if the cultural stuff that goes along with the international outlook you are cultivating is important, then you can do two things. One, find someone who is foreign-born or foreign-raised. Or two, find an american who has spent some chunk of time (ie lived) abroad. International stuff is a critical part of my business and I've seen this to be true both in business and in personal relations. Similarly, I think you would stand a better chance of having a good relationship with a Jewish guy than most women with your background who didn't go to Brandeis. You aren't Jewish, but you've spent a lot of time with Jewish men and women, and have experienced much of the non-religious aspects of the culture - which for most American Jews and even secular Israeli Jews (who you probably don't want to date, IMO), is the more important aspect of the religion.

So a guy gets on a plane and sits down next to a gorgeous woman. turns out she is a sex therapist, and tells him the Native americans, in fact have the most length, and then that polish men have the most girth.

At which point he introduces himself...

"Did I mention my name is Tonto Kowalski?"

So a guy gets on a plane and sits down next to a gorgeous woman. turns out she is a sex therapist, and tells him the Native americans, in fact have the most length, and then that polish men have the most girth.

At which point he introduces himself...

"Did I mention my name is Tonto Kowalski?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that what you girls are saying is absolutely true in the short term and probably true for right now for me.

But I also think that culture and dating can be looked at through a public v private lens. Extreme example: If I am a movie star and want to be with someone I can find someone who makes me feel wonderful and whom I love and everything but who may not want much part in my public life (the socializing, press, invasion of privacy, etc) or someone who can play the game (another person who is used to that lifestyle). If you can find someone who can fit your lifestyle due to your career, background or whatever and who also makes you incredibly happy it just makes life easier. And yes, of course there are benefits to retreating to a sanctuary in Australia or France away from the professional life, but the fact is that your professional life does take up a lot of time and it would just be easier if that person feels comfortable going to a dinner with your associates or your family if the situation is similar. I wouldn't want to isolate myself because my partner feels uncomfortable with the social demands of my life.

I think it is easy for women to say they would be willing to date a movie star or prince or CEO but I also think you have to be groomed to play their game if you want it to last in the long run. You wouldn't want the SO to hesitate mixing you with their social life because you would feel uncomfortable or make others feel uncomfortable unless you both were fine keeping your social/family/professional circles separate.

If you both are fine keeping these separate then I don't think culture matters and the most important thing is your happiness. Maybe if my friends and family were not spread so thin I wouldn't care but my time for them is limited and I don't want to have to choose between them and my SO.

Tonja, you think waaay too much. There are times when falling for someone completely unsuitable is just the craziest fun. You know it's not going to last five minutes, but at the time it's so worth it. Not every relationship has to have a point, some of them just are.

You need to do that more than once. Otherwise you may find out that what you thought you wanted wasn't actually what you wanted at all.

There are too many people out there with a life script. If more people did what their hearts told them, instead of what their head, family and peers told them, the world would be a much happier place.

michelle, after months of resisting i let my friend set me up and i've got the intelligent, funny, nice, charming great guy i never thought i'd get to meet. :) :1luvu:
I know, and I'm jealous. He's a cutie, AND has an accent too!!! And Ais, you're such a hottie how could any guy resist?

I think that what you girls are saying is absolutely true in the short term and probably true for right now for me.

But I also think that culture and dating can be looked at through a public v private lens.

I wouldn't want to isolate myself because my partner feels uncomfortable with the social demands of my life.

If you both are fine keeping these separate then I don't think culture matters and the most important thing is your happiness. Maybe if my friends and family were not spread so thin I wouldn't care but my time for them is limited and I don't want to have to choose between them and my SO.

Editing here....

I think if it's right, then it won't matter what "class" or social demands you have, because it will work. It's all part of finding the right person. I don't think there are too many women on BOL that would date a prince or someone in a flash society - I'm certainly not like that. Works the same with the men - how many men on BOL would be comfortable dating a flashy, high maintenance chick? Hollywood star? Maybe for a little while, but once she said "you can't snowboard because we're going to the Emmies" I think it would be over.

Point is that you shouldn't have to give up anything to be with someone - compromise yes, but not who you are.

Hey cool...

Believe it or not, just earlyer today I thought about how many posts I've had here, but it was only in my mind for a sec, so I forgot by the time I came back on. I assumed that I was still way off from any notable number. Oh well. If only 5% of my posts helped anybody... That's 50 people... I'd say it was worth it...

I'd like to thank the acadamy....:flamethro