Note to New Members ×

OT: waaaaaaay OT....

Aisling

I always thought that to be only partially true. My best relationship didn't really require work, or if it did, it sure didn't seem like it. It should almost come naturally instead of having to force something into it. Thats just my opinion though, and maybe overtime I'll prove myself wrong. Most of you have waaay more life experience than I do so don't listen to me:)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It requires putting in effort but it might not seem like work if you enjoy it. Like carving :biggthump

That's completely true...When I was married to Carl, I used to look forward to the times he worked his shifts bacause I would have some "alone" time.

I did a run of nearly flawless carving in March and my first thought was I wished Sam( current hubby) had been there to see it....

I have to agree. I dated a guy a while ago, and couldn't wait for Alone time. Although he was a bit scary, another story. However, the last guy I wanted to be with all the time (sometimes still do :rolleyes: , again another story). I think it tells you something if you are trying to get away even some of the time.

I don't think needing "alone" time is necessarily bad. When I was first married, we went to marriage counseling and the counseler drew two circles that overlapped each other and said that the two people in the marriage were like the circles - you overlap mostly, but not completely. In other words it's not usually a sign of trouble if either one wants to get away once in a while. It's just normal. Guys want to go work in the garage sometimes, or go do something with their buddies, and the wife will want to get away with her friends or do something alone too. 100% "togetherness" is not healthy and is just weird.

Nope, I agree. You can't be with someone 100% of the time, although I know some people that do it. It's the Hoping and Looking Forward To the alone time that may show a bit of *trouble*.Although since I am not married I quite possibly don't know what I am talking about. ;)

In a normal healthy relationship, about the only time men really NEED to get away is the exact moment after sex is "finished", for some reason, men's brains have an internal routine programmed by years of evolution telling us to leave the area. It's like a fire alarm going off in your head. "Whoop! Whoop! Get out of the building! Whoop!" As we enter relationships we try to fight this, and we do it pretty well. But it's tough. It's like trying to train a dog to jump into your lap after you fire a starting pistol at him.

I don't think needing "alone" time is necessarily bad. When I was first married, we went to marriage counseling and the counseler drew two circles that overlapped each other and said that the two people in the marriage were like the circles - you overlap mostly, but not completely. In other words it's not usually a sign of trouble if either one wants to get away once in a while. It's just normal. Guys want to go work in the garage sometimes, or go do something with their buddies, and the wife will want to get away with her friends or do something alone too. 100% "togetherness" is not healthy and is just weird.

I understand....I'm talking that my ex- would be gone for 24-48 hours at a time, every 3 days....

and I would suffer through the 24 hours he was home....

That ain't right....

In a normal healthy relationship, about the only time men really NEED to get away is the exact moment after sex is "finished", for some reason, men's brains have an internal routine programmed by years of evolution telling us to leave the area. It's like a fire alarm going off in your head. "Whoop! Whoop! Get out of the building! Whoop!" As we enter relationships we try to fight this, and we do it pretty well. But it's tough. It's like trying to train a dog to jump into your lap after you fire a starting pistol at him.

What kind of excuse is that?

I just remembered something important when it comes to a completly open relationship, or a no strings attached one. As Chris Rock said, "don't end up in the friend zone." so true. Saw it happen to a few of my friends when they were trying to get a relationship going. I can elaborate later, i'm off to party!:biggthump

Guest The Waterboy

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Steve Dold

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Sorry, but I'm not going to let a statement like that about men in general slip by unqualified.

And I can't say I speak for men in general. But I do know that my friends haven't mentioned anything like that in their own relationships, (mind you, I couldn't say all their relationships have been healthy either).

But can definitely say that the only place I want to be afterwards is right next to her.

So men are a mixed bunch.

And come to think of it, women are probably the same way too.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Steve Dold

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Sorry, but I'm not going to let a statement like that about men in general slip by unqualified.

And I can't say I speak for men in general. But I do know that my friends haven't mentioned anything like that in their own relationships, (mind you, I couldn't say all their relationships have been healthy either).

But can definitely say that the only place I want to be afterwards is right next to her.

Funny I agree though I have been inclined to drag her into a shower for another :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

I just remembered something important when it comes to a completly open relationship, or a no strings attached one. As Chris Rock said, "don't end up in the friend zone." so true. Saw it happen to a few of my friends when they were trying to get a relationship going. I can elaborate later, i'm off to party!:biggthump
Gues I didn't think about it working both ways, because it rarely does.

AND

Wow, is there really hope after all?:1luvu:

Did someone say fire?

i do the same thing. Fire alarm goes off and me and my room mate just lock the door. 7 floors is way too far to go. Then we see firetrucks and decide to go down. We get to the first floor, smells like burned popcorn:angryfire Stuff like this has happend 3 times i think. Waste of a 2 minute climb down.

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;">Originally Posted by Steve Dold

</td></tr></tbody></table>Sorry, but I'm not going to let a statement like that about men in general slip by unqualified.

gotta agree with Dold...there's been plenty of times when right after, I wanted to be left alone, and I think its a pretty common thing. Of course not ALL men feel it

not ALL anything do anything.

i do the same thing. Fire alarm goes off and me and my room mate just lock the door. 7 floors is way too far to go. Then we see firetrucks and decide to go down. We get to the first floor, smells like burned popcorn:angryfire Stuff like this has happend 3 times i think. Waste of a 2 minute climb down.

and what happens when it IS a fire and you wait too long?

sorry dude, that sounds like spoiled child laziness and could end your life some day.

and what happens when it IS a fire and you wait too long?

sorry dude, that sounds like spoiled child laziness and could end your life some day.

well the firestation is 100 feet away and if it was a real fire, the fire trucks wouldn't have waited 10 minutes to come. We got it all figured out.

There are so many problems with this.....

*"i do the same thing..." =would you jump off a bridge if....?

*"Fire alarm goes off and me and my room mate just lock the door." =Give the firemen exactly what he/she wants after climbing seven stories of stairs, something to break open(Shi*, we love to break things)..

*"Then we see firetrucks and decide to go down." Now instead of being safe and out of the way, you have to share the stairwell with the firemen/women who are trying to climb up with bulky equipment..

*"smells like burned popcorn:angryfire Stuff like this has happend 3 times i think" =I hope you send a care package of sweets to the local firestation..monthly.

*"Waste of a 2 minute climb down"= Point of view problem, stairs are a great training tool for snowboarders....:)

There are so many problems with this.....

*"i do the same thing..." =would you jump off a bridge if....?

*"Fire alarm goes off and me and my room mate just lock the door." =Give the firemen exactly what he/she wants after climbing seven stories of stairs, something to break open(Shi*, we love to break things)..

*"Then we see firetrucks and decide to go down." Now instead of being safe and out of the way, you have to share the stairwell with the firemen/women who are trying to climb up with bulky equipment..

*"smells like burned popcorn:angryfire Stuff like this has happend 3 times i think" =I hope you send a care package of sweets to the local firestation..monthly.

*"Waste of a 2 minute climb down"= Point of view problem, stairs are a great training tool for snowboarders....:)

defintly good point and we are stupid for doing this. What I failed to mention is it was around 5am. First of all, who makes popcorn at 5am? So far, everytime, we haven't seen firemen walk up the stairwells. I'm sure our deposits pay for the trucks to go the 100 or so feet. I know its in the 1000s to get a firetruck anywhere. For the stairs being a good way to prepare for snowboarding, my riding season is done. Today we had 60 degree weather with rain. Gonna be in the 50s for the rest of the week:mad:

thanks for the concern and pointing out our stupidity:biggthump

The weather HAS been awesome here!!! I actually did wear skirts and lie out in the sun for a bit and stuff. I did get caught in the middle of the rain today though. Oh well.

In two weeks im going to Tahoe to Kirkwood. So in California, compared to our sunny days in Boston, they've been having mudslides in my region. 3.5 million dollar homes down the hill. Damn..

Oh well, can't wait to get back home.