Note to New Members ×

Sidecut calculator reborn

NateW

On 4/4/2024 at 5:49 PM, SunSurfer said:

CARV ski technology has the ability accurately measure changes in ski (boot) sole angle from a zeroed calibration point. In the boots of some skilled hardbooters, it would provide a definitive answer to that question.

https://getcarv.com/ 

And Carv explains why Ted Ligety is so good.
https://getcarv.com/blog/why-its-almost-impossible-to-ski-like-ted-ligety
Note Ted gets edge angles up closer to 80 degrees in his turns.

Problem is they don't and won't support snowboarding.  When I asked about the possibility to recalibrate it for use on an SB, just for data logging, they basically said: nope.

12 hours ago, st_lupo said:

Problem is they don't and won't support snowboarding.  When I asked about the possibility to recalibrate it for use on an SB, just for data logging, they basically said: nope.

I was exploring the CARV website a couple of days ago. Was invited to trial run a couple of web pages relating to a new product they are developing. New version is just motion sensors clipped to boot cuffs, no sole pressure sensors, so easily exchangeable between boots.

They are now, as well as reporting turn angulation for each leg, reporting G forces experienced in the turn. The higher the G force the more powerful the change in direction, the better the carve effectively.

I think there is enough in the graphs the app produces that I can interpret for myself as an alpine boarder to make it worth my while trying it. I'm hoping the new version actually appears in time for me to trial it this Southern winter.

Ski IQ is a derived value to stroke the ego.

I have more interest in the data. Only one way to find out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

...Ski IQ is a derived value to stroke the ego. ..

It's good marketing, clearly. I just think that if I ever ride with these skiers boasting about their number, I'll still decide based on watching them if they can ride or not. We don't need their numbers to work it out.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 11:09 AM, SunSurfer said:

I was exploring the CARV website a couple of days ago. Was invited to trial run a couple of web pages relating to a new product they are developing. New version is just motion sensors clipped to boot cuffs, no sole pressure sensors, so easily exchangeable between boots.

They are now, as well as reporting turn angulation for each leg, reporting G forces experienced in the turn. The higher the G force the more powerful the change in direction, the better the carve effectively.

I think there is enough in the graphs the app produces that I can interpret for myself as an alpine boarder to make it worth my while trying it. I'm hoping the new version actually appears in time for me to trial it this Southern winter.

Ski IQ is a derived value to stroke the ego.

I have more interest in the data. Only one way to find out.

I hope they have some form for calibration so we can remove boot cuff flex from board inclination. Half of me really wants to get raw data, the other half knows that I would probably loose interest before I got any actionable info out of it.

29 minutes ago, st_lupo said:

I hope they have some form for calibration so we can remove boot cuff flex from board inclination. Half of me really wants to get raw data, the other half knows that I would probably loose interest before I got any actionable info out of it.

I had wondered about the same and was thinking of mounting mine on the boot shell, or the board surface just outside my front and rear bindings.

• 3 weeks later...