Note to New Members ×

Complete carving book by Marc Cirigliano

Hug Masso

Hello! I have come across this book that is mentioned in Carvers.it (Italy) and some other forums as extrenecarving etc. 
The book is this one and has been sold always as a PDF file: 

The Fundamentals of Snowboard Carving and Racing.Marc Cirigliano.

I believe it is not longer possible to get that book through the author website. 

Does someone have it and wouldn’t mind sharing it or selling a Pdf copy at a fair price. 
I believe it is the best and most comprehensive book on carving in all its forms, but if you guys know about some other book/article/whatever please comment. 

Thank you very much!! 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:57 AM, SunSurfer said:

Marc Cirigliano also authored this series of videos on YouTube. 

Yes I have seen them. He emphasizes starting both heel and toeside turns with hips, instead of ankles, and then knees and then hips, which is the order explained on the carvers almanac or other places… 

11 hours ago, Hug Masso said:

Yes I have seen them. He emphasizes starting both heel and toeside turns with hips, instead of ankles, and then knees and then hips, which is the order explained on the carvers almanac or other places… 

If you watch the video closely you can see Masi Shiba (the racer) start to edge/tilt his snowboard before he moves his hips to add pressure/weight to the snowboard.

Inexperienced coaches tell clients the most important thing is to apply pressure early at the top/start of the turn.  However, if you do not have sufficient edge angle (tilt) before you apply pressure you will skid/slide an unedged/flat snowboard (or skis).

Good racers focus on getting early edge engagement first and then apply the appropriate amount of pressure – they will adjust the edge angle and pressure as needed.

When a snowboard with the edge engaged is pressured in the fall-line it will accelerate faster and track better than a snowboard that is pressured while not on edge.

Even in a cross-over or a cross-through turn you should have the edge engaged before your hips/center-of-mass add more pressure.

I like to flip it and rip it – I flip the board to the new/other edge as fast as possible – well before my hips have moved significantly into the turn (and/or downward) to apply additional pressure.  When I want to ride mellow (not very often), I just roll the board onto the new edge.

• Like 6

On 3/11/2023 at 11:25 PM, noschoolrider said:

If you watch the video closely you can see Masi Shiba (the racer) start to edge/tilt his snowboard before he moves his hips to add pressure/weight to the snowboard.

Inexperienced coaches tell clients the most important thing is to apply pressure early at the top/start of the turn.  However, if you do not have sufficient edge angle (tilt) before you apply pressure you will skid/slide an unedged/flat snowboard (or skis).

Good racers focus on getting early edge engagement first and then apply the appropriate amount of pressure – they will adjust the edge angle and pressure as needed.

When a snowboard with the edge engaged is pressured in the fall-line it will accelerate faster and track better than a snowboard that is pressured while not on edge.

Even in a cross-over or a cross-through turn you should have the edge engaged before your hips/center-of-mass add more pressure.

I like to flip it and rip it – I flip the board to the new/other edge as fast as possible – well before my hips have moved significantly into the turn (and/or downward) to apply additional pressure.  When I want to ride mellow (not very often), I just roll the board onto the new edge.

Indeed what you say seems obvious but hadnt give it much thought. Bringing back racing technique to freecarving scenarios, I would say all we need to do is make a little bit longer (second half of the turn) the pressure zone (by extending legs all the way through) and then proceed to unweight at the edge change, letting Center of Mass “fall and continue” its path closer to the fall line, while legs and hips continue to work. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hug Masso said:

Indeed what you say seems obvious but hadnt give it much thought. Bringing back racing technique to freecarving scenarios, I would say all we need to do is make a little bit longer (second half of the turn) the pressure zone (by extending legs all the way through) and then proceed to unweight at the edge change, letting Center of Mass “fall and continue” its path closer to the fall line, while legs and hips continue to work. 

"Extending legs all the way through" can result in chatter (too much pressure).  Sometimes retraction is a better choice than extension.  Expert riders/skiers do not need to actively unweight to change edges – they can use their feet/ankles/knees/hips to flip-it/roll-it even when the board/skis are fully pressured.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noschoolrider said:

"Extending legs all the way through" can result in chatter (too much pressure).  Sometimes retraction is a better choice than extension.  Expert riders/skiers do not need to actively unweight to change edges – they can use their feet/ankles/knees/hips to flip-it/roll-it even when the board/skis are fully pressured.

Maybe I did not explain myself. At edge changes wheter or not you keep pressure, once you are settled onto new edge at the starting of the turn, as you said in previous reply, there is no need to apply pressure. Instead, by retraction/unweighting the board, you set yourself in a position where you are able (not compulsory) to apply pressure throughout the turn. Now, if the pressure is too high, loosing tail or chattering can ensue. In the Cirigliano youtube series, as well as in slalom skying, you need to be able to apply pressure during the turn, and specially when gravity forces are highest, as in second half of the turn. Sure you can keep the edge fully pressured at the beggining of the turn, but at some point you will need to unweight a bit to have this margin. But I do not want to get too cocky, you clearly know what you are talking about. 

I was just trying to get the basic idees to sink in my head. 

thank you!

3 hours ago, noschoolrider said:

Sometimes retraction is a better choice than extension.

Oh and please clarify what you mean by retraction is best than extension. During the turn, as long as pressure in the edge is building up, I cannot see why you would need to retract legs, It seems counterintuitive. In racing there is no retraction whatsoever during the turn around the gate, it is exactly the part of the turn where you want your edges highly pressured against the snow/ice/whatever to get you out of the turn… isnt it?

2 hours ago, Hug Masso said:

once you are settled onto new edge at the starting of the turn, as you said in previous reply, there is no need to apply pressure

That is not what I said. I said, "Good racers focus on getting early edge engagement first and then apply the appropriate amount of pressure".

Instead, by retraction/unweighting the board, you set yourself in a position where you are able (not compulsory) to apply pressure throughout the turn.

When you unweight (retract, rebound-unweight, down-unweight, up-unweight, or terrain-unweight) you are reducing pressure (unweighting), which is when most riders will change edges and then apply/adjust pressure as needed.

Cirigliano youtube series, as well as in slalom skying, you need to be able to apply pressure during the turn, and specially when gravity forces are highest, as in second half of the turn.

If you get early edge engagement first and then apply the appropriate amount of pressure (also early in the turn) then you can take a higher/tighter line and you will be less likely to have too much pressure in second half of the turn, which can result in chatter, too big of a turn and being late for the next turn.  If your legs are only extending then you cannot regulate/absorb excessive pressure/vibrations/ruts.  It is better if you have enough range of motion so you can always flex and extend to regulate/adjust pressure and for adjustments for terrain/condition changes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hug Masso said:

Oh and please clarify what you mean by retraction is best than extension.

I did not say “retraction is best (or better) than extension”.

The body’s joins flex and extend.  You should study the difference between retraction-extension turns and extension-flexion turns.  I like them both, however as I said, “Sometimes retraction is a better choice than extension”.

15 hours ago, Hug Masso said:

Thank you very much for the explanations, lots of useful information. I could continue to ask but thats ok.

Here are some videos that you might find educational/helpful:

Shiori Hashiba - Carving

Skiing crossover New School vs Old school what is faster?

6 ski technique mistakes (myths) busted by Marcel Hirscher

• Like 1

Great book

I was just able to purchase a pdf. 

You write to at Jacopo at the website carvers.it

http://www.carvers.it/the-fundamentals-of-snowboard-carving-and-racing-donazione-airc/

And after making a donation as directed email the receipt and he will send you a PDF in English with diagrams 

Hope this helps and it for sure is an awesome read 

Cheers

On 3/18/2023 at 3:47 AM, neanderthal said:

was just able to purchase a pdf. 

Yes! I found it too 2 days ago, thanks for commenting on it, very nice book and indeed giving 20€ to cancer research foundation is moreso rewarding apart from the content itself.  

thank you mate!

Hug

• 11 months later...