Note to New Members ×

How much difference does a dedicated carving board make (softboot)?

zyzgerry

On 3/6/2023 at 12:44 AM, NByrne said:

I have a Donek Flux new this season. I’ve been riding mostly bigger freeride boards for a long time but wanted a dedicated carving board.  It’s been an interesting process learning how to really ride it.  Not my favorite ride in chunky variable snow, low visibility, or the trees. I’m just not that nimble on it yet.  Haven’t really ridden it in the powder or in the steeps….

But when I’ve had it on a clean soft groomer, and can let the sidecut work, that thing is amazing.  Kinda terrifying too… it definitely out carves any other board I’ve ever ridden.  
The process of ordering a Donek was educational to say the least.  Those guys are great 

Thanks for sharing! I'm planning to order the same before next season!

19 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Nothing wrong with your board or equipment. The Dart will rip carves. Focus on technique. At MCC there was a dude doing stuff on a short pow board that people couldn’t do on hardboots. Take advice here with a grain of salt. Have the money and like boards? Heck yeah get one then. 

Haha for sure, techniques always prevails!

Here's a little anecdote from right after transitioned from an old Atomic all mountain board to my Donek Flux. My old board could kind of carve on a good day if I wasn't going too fast and the trail wasn't too steep, but I was always struggling with it. On one of the first few days riding my Flux, I washed out a heelside turn (my fault) and soon after sliding down the hill on my butt, the edge hooked up and I made a clean carve across the hill, at speed, while still on my butt, without me even trying. The Flux wants just wants to make a carved turn.

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, staples156 said:

On one of the first few days riding my Flux, I washed out a heelside turn (my fault) and soon after sliding down the hill on my butt, the edge hooked up and I made a clean carve across the hill, at speed, while still on my butt, without me even trying. The Flux wants just wants to make a carved turn.

Reminds me of this: