Note to New Members ×

Burton bindings & lack of adequate lateral adjustment

kverho

So my Elevated Surfcraft Salmon with its 31.1 cm waist certainly should be wide enough for my Burton Step On X bindings & size 11 Ion boots, but the bulky heelcup and lack of lateral adjustment still cause some overhang at the heel and underhang at the toe. I've been trying to google aftermarket discs with more lateral adjustment to no avail, do they exist? Any other suggestions to the problem at hand? This is my first year with the board and not a huge issue; I've yet to experience conditions that cause boot-outs at the heel, but I'd still like to move the bindings closer to the toe.

20221109_120457 (1).jpg

20221109_120407 (1).jpg

I'm assuming you tried orienting the binding disk width-wise?
If yes, then your binding size might be too big.
I sized down the binding on purpose for my Burton Cartels due to this problem.
It's hard to do that with step-ons as the toe receiver needs to be aligned with the boot
Burton bindings are just...weird.

Other option is to find some Donek BX plates and then you have full customization of the lateral stance position.
Hard to find those though, as they are not made anymore.
Still, an ordinary riser plate will allow higher edge angles without needing to shift the binding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VSR-Alex said:

I'm assuming you tried orienting the binding disk width-wise?
If yes, then your binding size might be too big.
I sized down the binding on purpose for my Burton Cartels due to this problem.
It's hard to do that with step-ons as the toe receiver needs to be aligned with the boot
Burton bindings are just...weird.

Other option is to find some Donek BX plates and then you have full customization of the lateral stance position.
Hard to find those though, as they are not made anymore.
Still, an ordinary riser plate will allow higher edge angles without needing to shift the binding.

It’s impossible to size down the stepon without dropping boot size as well. You get the size they recommend otherwise it won’t work. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/16/2024 at 9:13 AM, kverho said:

Solved by 20 mm insert offset (which required a new custom board but hey I'm not complaining). I also have a line on some custom alu discs that might alleviate the issue, stay tuned for that.

offset_rules.png

The first picture shows a Toe right above the edge which can be considered a good lateral setting and an overhang Heel, but from the Heel cup.....

The boot itself may have the heel in the right place above the edge not considering the heel cup. If I'm not wrong, What to center first is the foot itself independently from the heelcup.

ITOH, if to much heel cup overhang it can drag the snow if really high on edge...so it is also to consider....

But in the second picture, only considering the boot and so the foot, the toes seems to be more or less ok with a tad of overhang but the heel seem to have some good underhang...🤔

A rear view picture taken parallel to the board level may show it better....

But of course that's personal thinking....so if it works, enjoy it !! 👍😀

On 2/16/2024 at 3:24 PM, pokkis said:

One could quite easily build from 6mm carbon plate mini raisers with some extra inserts.

That would not cost much. Same applies naturally if there is too short or too long stance options.

Could you make this for me?

On 2/17/2024 at 6:21 PM, RoroSnow said:

The first picture shows a Toe right above the edge which can be considered a good lateral setting and an overhang Heel, but from the Heel cup.....

The boot itself may have the heel in the right place above the edge not considering the heel cup. If I'm not wrong, What to center first is the foot itself independently from the heelcup.

ITOH, if to much heel cup overhang it can drag the snow if really high on edge...so it is also to consider....

The first board is my all-mountain slush slasher, and in soft conditions it cuts a pretty deep trench and the heelcup can indeed boot out.