Note to New Members ×

Ski Cooper

Kurt Swanson

Ski Cooper just north of  Leadville is way off the weekend warrior path and a  great family/locals mtn.  imo

I rode there when I was living in Col Springs and working for Outward Bound Leadville base.   If it wasn't so far out of the way from the Springs I would have gone there more often.   I remember very non corporate vibe and  wide groomers fun for carving!   

It's a long twisty drive after getting off I70 ......but it's worth more than just 1 day....I'd stay overnight and make the weekend!  :biggthump

@HillBat Ski Cooper today.

I only looked behind me once on a holiday weekend. 

Pros:

- natural snow

- runs are so flat, it's going to be rarity someone is bombing towards you.

- people actually alternate in line, they may be too courteous

- everyone seems to be technique oriented, or conscious

Cons:

- natural snow, I get a better feel if it was a firm hardpack or firmer.

- runs are so flat

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 2

Nice video!  My wife used to help out there, from time to time, years ago.  She got me to try the area and I enjoyed it.  Totally different experience than any other place I had been to or worked at.  No glamour, no jet set, lots of history, a good business to support.  No crowds, endless untracked powder for their inexpensive snow cat trips to the back bowl.    
I only have one interesting story about the place.  Funniest cat ride I ever had was there, as the lone snowboarder on the trip, early 90’s, sitting there quietly in my hard shell boots and full face helmet, as the out-of-state skiers made endless cracks about snowboarders and yucked it up.  Wife smiled, knowing what was next.  Got out of the cat, clipped into the plate bindings, zipped down the bowl and ended up waiting what seemed to be 10-15 minutes for the skiers to navigate down to the pick up spot.  I enjoyed the silence on the next trip up.  No smack talk, just wife and I smiling at each other, suppressing the giggles.  Each subsequent ride down was quiet.  Looks like they still run the cat tours so I’d recommend that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dang, I went there today.  Was driving back to Utah, stopped at Loveland and couldn’t believe the Thursday crowds.  Kids out on spring break already?  I-70 was ridiculous leading up to the tunnel from Denver. So I bailed, scooted over to Ski Cooper and had a blast.  Wide runs, if you want them.  They have a nice lodge and a brew pub. Free, ample parking.  Great place to just do your own thing, everyone was positive and low key.  

Edited by CB Utah

On 3/2/2023 at 10:57 PM, CB Utah said:

Dang, I went there today.  Was driving back to Utah, stopped at Loveland and couldn’t believe the Thursday crowds.  Kids out on spring break already?  I-70 was ridiculous leading up to the tunnel from Denver. So I bailed, scooted over to Ski Cooper and had a blast.  Wide runs, if you want them.  They have a nice lodge and another brew pub. Free, ample parking.  Great place to just do your own thing, everyone was positive and low key.  

Were you the guy demoing several hardboot boards? I was the one on the Virus softboots.

No, Thursday I was the old dude on the Burton Flight Attendant with F2 titaniums and white Deeluxe 325’s.  Low wind, sunny, mostly clear skies and no crowds.  Snowcat skiing/boarding would have been perfect.

I learned from PhilW how to rig F2’s to fit the Burton Channel System.

• Like 1