Note to New Members ×

Insider scoop to Jackson, WY

skatha

We will be there late June/early July and plan to do the Tetons/Yellowstone tourista thing.

Any recommendations for sites to see, places to go, restaurants to try....

My "posse" includes a 6 year old boy, 8 year old girl, 15 year old teenaged boy and 2 40-something adults...

I'm staying at Jenny Lodge in the park.

We've got a cabin on the Norhteast entrance to the Park in Slivergate. If you pass through there next town over is Cooke City, has a great little restaurant on the left side. Plan on seeing Old Faithful and all the Geyers around there. One thing I loved as a kid was Firehole river, they have a great swiming spot, the river is warm and is fed by the geysers. The firehole swimming spot is north of Old Faithful on route 20. The fishing bridge is pretty cool which you should pass by coming in from the Teton side. The earlier you get into the park the more wildlife you'll see in the morning. The mud geyses are fun as well. Take time to see the upper and lower falls. If you are doing the whole yellowstone tourist thing you can plan on 2 days with young kids in the park. The town of Cody is great and put's on some nice rodeo shows, Billy the Kid is from Cody.

Enjoy

I'm off for a whistlestop tour through the park next weekend (20th to 23rd), only going to Yellowstone though. Staying one night in West Yellowstone, one at Fishing Bridge (my Ford Focus wagon is officially a very small RV) and one at Gardner MT.

The booking agent told me that the road from Fishing Bridge to Tower is closed until August for rebuilding so if you're going to Tower you'll have to go from Norris. We won't get there as we won't have enough time to detour, but my guidebook recommends the Lamar Valley area up there for wildlife, and the Tower area in general for avoiding the crowds.

Have the Frommers guidebook, seems to be really good, the National Parks website is great too.

I'll try and remember to drop you an email after we get back...

Guest jeremiah

I got married in Teton Village last July, and was responsible for providing entertainment options for our guests, so I have a couple ideas.

I strongly recommend either a scenic or a whitewater rafting trip. The whitewater may be a bit much for a 6 year old, our youngest was a babyish 10 year old and she loved it.

If you want kid-friendly hikes, you might want to take the tram to the top of Jackson Hole and then either just hike around the top or take the day and hike down to the base.

I can't think of the name of the restaurant, but there is a very nice Mediterranean restaurant on King St. south of Broadway, across from the Snake River Grill. (Snake River Grill is great in it's own right, but $$$$.)

You might also consider lunch on the deck of the Mangy Moose in Teton Village. You look out at the base of the tram, with the mountain towering above you. Plus there is a big grassy area for kids to run off some excess energy.

You might want to pick up a hot springs guidebook, though I *think* most of the hotsprings in the area are in Yellowstone, and therefore officially not to be used. (I know that there are a few places in the north of Yellowstone where the rangers turn a blind eye, but they're also 'clothing optional', maybe not the best for kids. One option is Granite Hot Springs. It's about 10-15 miles from the town of Jackson, up a well-maintained gravel road, with a short hike at the end. It's an improved cement pool, with basic services and you have to pay to use it, but very kid friendly.

One bit of advice, make sure that you don't unknowningly have a suspended, out-of-state driver's license; the local cops prefer to cuff-n-stuff you rather than let a licensed driver take the wheel. Having your fiancee bail you out 3 days before the wedding is not something anyone should go through.

Jeremiah

Originally posted by jeremiah

One bit of advice, make sure that you don't unknowningly have a suspended, out-of-state driver's license; the local cops prefer to cuff-n-stuff you rather than let a licensed driver take the wheel. Having your fiancee bail you out 3 days before the wedding is not something anyone should go through.

Jeremiah

Thanks for the info, but I should point out that you had a suspended out-of-state license from NEW YORK, never a good idea anywhere outside of the northeast.

I have a valid TX license and truck with TX plates-I find the combination to be very safe when driving anywhere in our lovely western US.

In the Air Force, going to OTS in Alabama-I was the preferred mode of transportation to many of my northeastern based fellow students-seems as if those troopers couldn't wait to stop a car with New York plates, but had no problem watching a TX plated car whizz right by them

Originally posted by skatha

I have a valid TX license and truck with TX plates-I find the combination to be very safe when driving anywhere in our lovely western US.

Really? Texas plates get pulled over every bit as much as California plates do here in Oregon.

Originally posted by jeremiah

I can't think of the name of the restaurant, but there is a very nice Mediterranean restaurant on King St. south of Broadway, across from the Snake River Grill. (Snake River Grill is great in it's own right, but $$$$.)

Is the name of the restaurant the Old Yellowstone Garage? I haven't eaten there, but I've heard it's one of the best meals in town.

Some other JH restaurant ideas...

The Bunnery (for breakfast)

Thai Me Up

Off Broadway

Sweetwater

Snake River Brew Pub

Hello,

I've done quite a bit of mountaineering in the Tetons. It is one of my favourite places on earth. One of my recommended activites would be an overnite stay on Leigh Lake at the base of Mt. Moran.

Rent a couple of canoes from Moose Village, north of Jackson, just outside the Park. Park at String lake, load up your canoes. Paddle north on Sting lake to the land gap between String and Leigh Lake. There is a portage between ( you have to carry your gear and canoes about a Kilometer ) String and Leigh lake but it's pretty painless. It may take a couple of trips to get your gear and canoes accross the gap with kids. Drop the canoes back into Leigh lake and Camp at any one of 4 or 5 sites at the base of Mt Moran. My fav sites are 14a and b. You'll have to reserve these sites at the Jenny lake ranger station. They fill fast for the weekend but you can only hold them for a couple of days so get there early during the day, as soon as they open. Wed. is a great day to reserve the spots.

Good luck and email me if you have any questions about this particular activity.

Dave