Note to New Members ×

OT: Newly Found Beers For Carvers

utahcarver

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like where this is going with the homebrew suggestion(s).

My buddy homebrews a nice Blueberry Ale in 16 oz. bottles with a 8% ABV using the Mr. Beer system. I don't know his exact recipe but he has worked on it now for several years and it's a very good beer with a backyard party. Very affordable homebrewing with mr.beer and your basement won't look like a laboratory. :)

Any other homebrewing systems?

(Just opened a Paulaner Hefe-Weizen and wow!, does that taste good! I don't care about calories or carbs right now. Good thing I'll be riding my bike back and forth to the Liquor store soon for the exercise.)

For the most part I dislike wheat beers (usually too thin for me) but Paulaner HefeWeizen is in its own category.

For New England beers, lots of good stuff around, but I'm partial to Gearys (first choice) and Shipyard. I like all their styles.

I also tend to dislike summer beers, but the Geary summer beer is very good.

Her husband has given me some of his "home brew" several times over the last 2 years, he actually makes "mead". This latest one is called "Oakendrake" and is made with clover honey, malt, yeast, & purified water. Label on the bottle claims 11% alcohol....:eek: haven't tried it yet, but the last ones were pretty good for home brewed stuff. I'll have to sample some and let ya'll know how it tastes. Wish me luck!

Paul

Not sure if it is still around, but when I lived in Portland there was a beer called hair of the dog, about 17% alcohol I believe. Not bad either, but no more than 1 or the taste gets annoying. My favorites? In this order:

1. Deschutes

2. Full Sail

3. Bridgeport

4. McMenamins

5. Anchor Steam

6. Sierra Nevada

7. Newcastle

8. Widmer Hefeweizen

9. MacTarnahans

10. Miller High Life (when you only have chump change)

.......Since we're talking about liquor, and it's getting warm out, here's my recipe for a PERFECT margarita:

2 shots Patron Silver

1 shot Grand Marnier

3/4 shot Triple Sec

4.5 ounces Margarita Mix (get the good stuff....makes a difference)

1/2 of a lime

Fill a shaker full of ice, ad above contents, shake violently, salt your glass, pour and enjoy!

:cool:

its been awhile but I love anejo tequilla

cuervo anejo is good and carries a decent value if you are looking for a smooth dark sipping drink, it will remind you of a good dark rum or something

Any suggestions for spirits?

Mine would be

1, Jade Verte Suisse a quality absinthe

2, any quality tequila there are some great cheaper brands like el mayors

3, Bookers one of the better bourbons out there and its 126 proof

4, any 12 or more year old, single malt scotch that is more on the oaky and malty side my favorite is Balvenie right now.

5, Um Emile another absinthe its cheaper than the Jade stuff but still leaps and bounds better than anything other than the Jade absinthes

I'm really loving El Tesoro Anejo right now. Oaky, a bit smoky, more complex than say, Patron. It's so smooth, I'm enjoying it straight in a snifter. The beautiful thing is that my local store sells it for $45, but I found it at another place for $32! I have yet to try Chamucos Reposado, the favorite of my "Tequila mentor".

Edit: I just noticed you said Cuervo Anejo. What is that? Do you mean Cuervo Tradicional, which is a Reposado? That was my "gateway" into good tequila, but for sipping I've realized it's not great. It makes a smooth marg, but that's all I use it for now.

is different and other than familia especial or reserva or whatever the crazy priced stuff is its the only cuervo that I like

the bottle is brown and it the neck is crooked it stands out, don't confuse it with 1800 anejo or any of the piss the cuervo makes

I would describe it as very smooth with lots of a brown sugar/molasses type taste with a fair amount oak in there as well

it really reminds me of myers dark rum in some ways

some people say its a little too sweet but I like it allot with ice and maybe a twist of lime

most of the NH state liquor stores have it and a I have seen it in portland as well

http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/pa45254.html

says this about it

Jose Cuervo Añejo is a 100% blue agave tequila aged in American oak barrels and presented in a way that befits the Cuervo name and heritage.

Sammy Hagars Cabo Wabo is very very good Tequilia...not cheap but in this case you realy do get what you pay for...

Brewing your of beer is an awesomely fun thing to do though I have gotten lazy I only brew Mead now though even that took me 3 years to master the "right recipe" 2-3 Vanilla beans per 5gal

Originally posted by bobdea

mezcals if you like smokey

don amado anejo is good, and there is another one that is amazing but I can't remeber the name of it.

I have never tasted a real difference between cheap Mezcal and the expensive stuff...which isn't to say that I don't like Mezcal because I love it straight, on the rocks or mixed with something like grapfruit juice. Hell it even makes a good margarita

Three I like.

1) Moza Obscura - Guatemala's dark beer...can only get in

Guatemala unfortunately.

2) Whatney's Cream Stout - unfortunately they don't make it

anymore.

3) I may be permanently banned from BOL for saying this but I personally like Micholob Amber Bock. I wouldn't give a nickel for a regular Mick (well...maybe on a really hot day with a powerfull thirst!), but I really like the Amber Bock.

All three beers have one thing in common...they are all dark smooth beers that are on the sweet side, with no bitter after taste.

Miguel

I'll go ahead and condemn myself to hell here in Utah and talk beer on Sunday.

Just an added note for Utah beer drinkers. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale ( the green bottle ) is usually widely available at our state liquer stores. Like Boulder, it's a buck 25 per so a sixer is $7.50. When compaired to the non liquer store buys ( everything else is 3.2 beer if not purchased in our State Liquer Stores ) at 7 dollars for a six pack of 3.2% beer, it's a hellava deal. It's also one of my fav's if you like a beer heavy with Cascade hops.

Also as a side note to Mark's post, Samual Smith's also makes a Nut Brown Ale that is out of site! Exactly what I thought when I stumbled upon the brand though, Mark. ( This is made in England? Skunk capitol of the world? )

Dav0

Oh yeah, Dave,

SNPA is a fast mover as I said earlier. A relative newcomer in the past few weeks, Pass Time Ale @ $1.25 a bottle we can't keep'em in the store. I worked last night and brought home a sixer of that and sixer of the Paulaner Hefe-weizen.

Mmmm, Sunday Beers!

Jack

reposado translates as "rested" and anejo translates as "aged"

typically anejo and reposed are similar as they are both aged in wooden tanks or barrels. To be considered reposado I think it has to age for at least two months. I think Anejo's is anything aged over 1 year. Blanco is no aging at all. It is amazing to see how many choices there are on the market varying in price and age. You have have double and tripple distiled etc etc.

I have tried a few and prefer the less smoky and smoother varieties with 100% blue agave.

My favorites that I have tried are "corallejo, reposado"

"Sauza, tres generaciones" anejo and Heradura reposado

I used to live in jalisco and guanajuato mexico for 5 years and it was alot cheaper to get the stuff there than it is here.

Pat,

PP is available in Utah/Idaho from wasatchbeers.com or at any grocery or liquor store (depending on octane levels). Greg Schirf sure has a good thing going with his beers. His St. Provo Girl (his take on St. Pauli Girl) beer is okay but, the marketing of the idea has most Utahns taking notice (Oh my Heck! which pokes fun at the Mormon Church members use of 'Utahnese-speak'; there is another ad which has the voluptuous cleavage-ladened damsel model type holding a sixpack of beer cans, the ad says: NICE CANS!). The marketing is better than the beer, and that's a good thing sometimes.

Several years ago, my buddy ran into some overzealous missionaries from a local polygamist church group who didn't think PP and Schirf were funny. The real problem in Utah isn't that you can't get an alcoholic drink (you can, of course), it's that very few church-type people have an effin' sense of humor. Too bad, life is too short to not be able to laugh at ourselves and our own idiosyncracies and recognize that the world doesn't, in fact, revolve around us.

It revolves around BEER, and umm, Carving, and Sleep, and other things.

Originally posted by mikemcse

Jack

reposado translates as "rested" and anejo translates as "aged"

Yeah, I know enough about tequila to be dangerous, I just asked "what is that?" about Cuervo Anejo because I didn't know it existed. I'm interested to try it.

My favorites that I have tried are "corallejo, reposado"

"Sauza, tres generaciones" anejo and Heradura reposado

I used to think Heradura and 3G's was top shelf stuff until I tried El Tesoro.

Originally posted by mikemcse

I will defenitely have to try out "El Tesoro" If I can find it.

I like anejos and reposados better than silvers in general, and El Tesoro is no exception. Go for the anejo if you find it. (I've never seen it in reposado form).

One recent disappointment was Milagro reposado. It seems to have a chemical aftertaste, and I just can't get past it. It's decent in a marg, but not for sipping, imo.