Note to New Members ×

Burton Speed for first board

xacta168

Most of the Speeds were narrow like the Factory primes, but that's the wide one.  My friend had one of those and liked it.  It was easy to make tight turns compared with other boards of similar length and that vintage.  He actually kind of regretted selling it.

I don't think it's too much board for your friend.  But he's heavy and I'd wonder more whether it's stiff enough - i.e., maybe it's too little board versus too much board.

howdy

thanks for reminding me that I have the 160 version and have not ridden it in many years. mine is very stiff, but then I am a light weight and have to really push it. I think that 168 would be a good board for your friend. remember it is not the board, it is the rider. is he athletic and agile cause if he is not then the learning curve will be long.

Those wide Speeds are actually very fun boards. They turn tight, have plenty of pop, accommodate relaxed binding angles, and ride well in less than perfect snow. It's been very long time, but I think I liked mine even more than a 4WD, I had at about the same time. 

Edited by BlueB