Note to New Members ×

Sugarloaf 2021-2022

pow4ever

Taken yesterday.  Man today is HOT.  Tomorrow looks like it could be decent though.  Temps just below freezing and snow overnight into the morning, possibly changing over in the afternoon.  First few runs could be decent carving, then it will bump up.

i-cBkDN2t-4K.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

Shitty with a chance of crappy.

Rain this morning. 

The daily report actually mentioned snowmaking coming back online soon...

I saw 🙂  but that was probably pre-storm exuberance.  building upon the "snow storm" momentum; that might have die on the vine when reality set in....
something about snow making take us to the spring.  well it would be nice if mountain ops decided to do that otherwise it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Unexpected pleasure to meet Jack at Sugarloaf on Sunday. My handy, attention grabbing, Thirst TS 202 was parked next to his Winterstick outside the popular local bar The Bag. All Jack had to go was find the guy with the hard boots. Turned out we were sitting together at the bar and agreed to meet in the morning for some runs. Wow, perfect conditions, Jack sends it! I got a lesson and some tips for better carving then I ever achieved before. Many thanks Jack! 

CBF46D80-674A-4859-BA72-6FB7DAC181E6.jpeg.e21ddfb0b969764a798af5bea4c7b5e6.jpeg

Special thanks to Mark Miller for my sweet longboard. I’ll see if I can find a few good turns and ask Jack to add video to the thread. 

• Like 5

wow; that's this past Sunday?  looked like hay burner? If i know... i would have stay.  packed it in Friday 4/1/2022 (all the rain/warm weather wasn't promising)  drop off the boards at Happy Tune for T&S.  

Finally end the season on a high note.  I was riding there from Mar 27 - 31.  5 great days. 

pretty amazing how quickly Sugarloaf recover from various weather system.  Enjoy.  I will be back next season.

Tuesday, King's Landing.  Conditions are like a cake of packed semi-frozen corn that you can actually carve.  If it were a weekend it would quickly turn to sugar-on-concrete.  I only took a few runs, then back to work.  Sorry we didn't connect, Dave!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack M said:

Tuesday, King's Landing.  Conditions are like a cake of packed semi-frozen corn that you can actually carve.  

Yes; that crunchy sound so scary yet so satisfying.  As the day getting warmer; i did got caught in a soft patch.  luckily just minor busted lip.  Sugarloaf's way to remind me not to be too cocky. 

the twin trail 🙂 king/hay (at least to my un-train old eyes).  really nice riding. I wasn't much fun to be around anyway(pretty moody at the lack of progress; even regress) lol.  was In tinker-bell mode; this time i am actually making progress instead of throwing spaghetti at the wall.  by the time i think i figured some of it out... the season is over.  Can't wait for next season to just do it all over again.

1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

by the time i think i figured some of it out... the season is over

This is the way.  I still feel like I'm learning new things, refining other things, and still generally getting better.  At 48 I'm probably delusional, but it's fun.  Then in December I have to re-learn some of it.

Someone asked me this season if I get board of it.  The best answer finally dawned on me - if you could fly would you get board of it?  But still it's nice to put it away for the summer.

55 minutes ago, Jack M said:

Sluice Headwall, Skyline lift, Winterstick.

nice!  i am not worthy lol..  for me that's a very tricky section sluice headwall...  There is one year i was able to ride it competently and it's been kicking my butt since.
Always get confused with the name sluice/spillway 🙂 

it's difficult to make three carved turns down that pitch of sluice headwall, but jack does six. pfft. come get some. yeah buddy! conditions and timing must align for such turns and i'm definitely jealous for not being able to hit the spring freeze/perfect/thaw cycle this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trailertrash said:

The headwall isn't bad, the chute screws me up every time. I think I did it once this season.

right.  chute is higher up above the cross cut for sluice/spillway, wind blown, off camber "fun".
headwall is 'tame' in comparison.  Both are above my ability now but it's something for me to work toward.

now to think about it; i am usual at the loaf in early season or late.  that one time in prime season; it does seems to be a bit more forgiving.   so far the spring is cold/wet/raining; make letting snowboard go so much harder.