Note to New Members ×

I’ve had it

Ray

Had my boards tuned in Aspen (during the SES) and this is what I got:

They are slow, a 2”x 3” grinding patch (will go away after the next tune) in the base, and the top sheets scratched… so be careful who works on your board!

Now (soon), I will finally give it a try and send them to Mike at PTC…

Ray

I've had awful luck with getting tunes done at local shops in the Portaldn/Hood area... and I feel your pain. After getting my Madd w/ PTC tune, I've pretty much decided I'm doing my own maintainance tuning and then sending my decks to PTC when they really need a tune. No sense in waiting almost a year for a custom board to have some monkey mess it up!

I can do better job in my kitchen, compare what they did for $50 on my board. I am just glad it was old rock board.

Ray,

how is that Dragster to compare others Viruses? I am now looking for all terrain board and I was thinking about boardercross model.

I don't know whether I got a better deal than most, but for $20 I got a full bsae grind, edge sharpening, wax, this structure thing that leaves a grid looking pattern in the base (which I'd never seen before) and the board base of my 10 year old nitro scorpion looked like brand new.

well, until I turned it over.

Great job; Reno Mountain Sports....

Ray you can't go wrong with Mike, it is definitely worth it. The nice thing is your base grind will last at least 3 years between tunes. If you want I can swing over to PTC and pick up your Viruses :D. I swear I wouldn't drool that much over the Xylophone board :p

I had a similar experience with boot fitting. I went to a "high end" shop in VT, paid more than I should have for boots thinking that they'd do a better job with the Thermoflex liners than I would do at home. I was wrong. I re-cooked them myself (using Dave's instructions on yyzcanuck) and am a lot happier.

I think that someone with less experience that follows instructions and puts a lot of care into what they're doing will end up doing a better job than someone with experience just going through the motions.

That said, I definitely want to send a board to PTC for real expert TLC that I can't do at home. Can someone post their contact info?

Thanks,

MT

Mike,

I think that Mike is doing a summer special where the return shipping is free. I am not sure when this is starting but you can ask Mike on the phone about it. The contact information is:

http://www.summitskishop.com/ptc.php?page=PTC

Precision Tuning Center

1000 Worcester Rd

Framingham, MA 01702

Phone: (508) 875-5551

You want to speak with the master himself, Mike de Santis.

He is usually easier to find in the morning.

You will NOT be disappointed.

->Ben

Originally posted by GeoffV

Ray you can't go wrong with Mike, it is definitely worth it. The nice thing is your base grind will last at least 3 years between tunes. If you want I can swing over to PTC and pick up your Viruses :D. I swear I wouldn't drool that much over the Xylophone board :p

Ray, I wouldn't trust Geoff with that Virus. Ever since the SES he won't stop talking about those things. I wouldn't worry about drool ;-)

Mike,

Here are the infos

http://www.summitskishop.com/ptc.php?page=PTC

Talk to Mike de Santis at 508 875 6905

Ladia,

The Dragster is a fun board. But to be honest, my wife is riding it all the time now

and I got so used to my longer narrower boards that I don't spend any time on it anymore.

If you want to go with a Virus BX or all mountain, they have brand new line coming for 05/06 which is fantastic!

Ray

Ray,

I have had two VIRUS boards. Never ever have let them (stone) grinded. Only hotwaxed them. The serviceguy told me that the basestructure is hardly taken any wax. The base by itself is so hard, that it needs hardly grinding, just waxing. Just my two cents and experience with VIRUS boards. My last board was a VIRUS Psycho by the way.

Greets, Hans.