Note to New Members ×

Where to carve near Detroit

astrodude

Hi, I am an experienced alpine snowboarder and recently moved to Windsor, Canada. Been told no big mountains in Ontario so I am wondering if there is any big mountains near Detroit, or at least easy to get to?
Did some research and found Boyne Mountain/Highlands been the biggest in the area but still relatively not steep enough(haven’t been there but info from their websites tell me they are with 500 ft vertical. Places I used to carve are 2000 ft and higher). Or maybe some slopes are steep and wide enough?
Any info will be much appreciated. Thank you guys. 

All midwestern hills are roughly 400-700 ft vert drop.

Indianhead in the U.P of Mich. might have the best carving with some nice wide steeps at the bottom of their 638 vert ft.

Looks like MSLM is open, north of Toronto just west of Coiler-ville. Might be a busy place, but Coilers are test ridden there. 

Searchmont (closed this season) north of Sault St Marie. Chouinard goes there.

59 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

All midwestern hills are roughly 400-700 ft vert drop.

Indianhead in the U.P of Mich. might have the best carving with some nice wide steeps at the bottom of their 638 vert ft.

Looks like MSLM is open, north of Toronto just west of Coiler-ville. Might be a busy place, but Coilers are test ridden there. 

Searchmont (closed this season) north of Sault St Marie. Chouinard goes there.

Thanks for the info. Definitely will try MSLM, way to meet all the legend carvers in Ontario

28 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

@Pat Donnelly @LambertoMI

Also ride the small bumps near Detroit.

As have I...

They are much smaller than what you are used to... You learn to appreciate every turn. 

Can you carve? Heck ya'!

Is it fun? Yes 

Can you progress? Yes

Guess Alpine Valley and Mt Holly will be routine rides since they are 1.5 hr drive. I can enjoy small bumps too that’s where I started learning. And now I have little kids, guess big mountains are not sth I can regularly go to for some years until they are old enough. 
where do you ride BTW,I mean the small resorts near Detroit? 

5 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Once the pandemic is over and I get to travel for work again the company I work for has an office in Troy, MI

I've ridden Pine Knob the most but I've ridden Alpine Valley and Mt. Holly.  My local is Paoli Peaks here in southern Indiana.

So pine knob is better for carving, among A.V.and Mt H.?

Vertical drop is one thing and pitch [steepness] is another.

Pine Knob/Mt. Holly are 180ft drops...chairlift off ramps for some but as big as it gets near Detroit. [from the Ambassador off ramp - 1 hr]

Boyne Mountain is steeper than Boyne Highlands but neither have much runout so the pitches end abruptly for the most part. [4.5 hrs]

Searchmont is my preferred location but can't get there due to the wuhan virus. [6 hrs]

@lowrider might be able to fill you in on Blue Mountain or Mount St. Louis both north of Toronto. You could jump across the Ambassador Bridge drive up I-94 to the Blue Water bridge and back into Sarnia and then head up from there but the borders closed. [6 hrs]

Your closest vertical of 1000' is Bristol Mountain at 1200' which has narrow steep often icy runs but you need to cross thru Niagara so that's out as well. [6.5 hrs]

Welcome to flatland!

• Like 1