Note to New Members ×

Maine Alpine instruction?

Billy Fruben

Hello,

I am new to this forum.  I have been snowboarding for a long time on soft boots with freestyle gear and stance.  Last year I started focusing on carving.  This season I have been out on hardboots with a boardercross board.  I like the hardboot feel better.  I just purchased an alpine board and would love to find some instruction somewhere in Maine.  It could be formal or informal and I would gladly pay for it.   I recognize the biggest challenges will be related to the high angles and different body position relative to what I have been riding.  If anyone is interested, I would  pay for your ticket and time.  I'm local to Camden snow bowl but can hit the loaf or other Maine mountains without too much trouble.  As you know, it is difficult / impossible to find formal alpine instruction around here.

thanks,

BF

I know a GUY, he's pretty Pissa. Actually more like wicked pissa. Up at the Loaf @Beckmann AG

There's another couple GUYS up there, that could help as well. Not as pissa, but still pissa @Jack M and @trailertrash

If you like silence on the chairlift, go with TT. If you want some nice convo about the sport and gear go with JM. 

If you cant venture up that far, check out Donny Pelletier, well he's good at everything !! He's at the Riva on Sundays. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MR. JOHN DEERE ! said:

I know a GUY, he's pretty Pissa. Actually more like wicked pissa. Up at the Loaf @Beckmann AG

There's another couple GUYS up there, that could help as well. Not as pissa, but still pissa @Jack M and @trailertrash

If you like silence on the chairlift, go with TT. If you want some nice convo about the sport and gear go with JM. 

If you cant venture up that far, check out Donny Pelletier, well he's good at everything !! He's at the Riva on Sundays. 

What Mr. John Deere said-Beckman AG was a huge help in my and my wife's riding over the years!!

7 hours ago, MR. JOHN DEERE ! said:

If you like silence on the chairlift, go with TT.

Listen GUY. By the time I get you dressed and on the chair I am spent. I've already had to tolerate whatever god awful outfit you are wearing, tow your stuck truck outa my lot, carry seven boards up to the hill cause you can't decide, and apologize to my neighbors for some GUY taking a shit next to their car. Never mind the hours of "enough about me, how about a little more about me?".

It's more talking than I do in a month. GUY.

1 hour ago, jl1 said:

What Mr. John Deere said-Beckman AG was a huge help in my and my wife's riding over the years!!

Who told you to get off that silly Donkey you were stuck on?

Billy, If you can get time with Dr. Beckmann, take it. He's tough to schedule time with but we are working on it. I think there's an app for that. He's still getting used to a phone without a rotary dial.

Weekends here at the Loaf have been crazy. Midweek mornings are ideal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hey TT-I will certainly give you credit for that!!  And something else- last year you said something about if you love snowboarding why not spend whatever it takes to make it more enjoyable in regards to equipment.(something like that) Extremely good advice!  I will see you in a few days.

• Like 1

I got out on the jasey jay snx162  today for a few runs at camden snow bowl.  It was my first time on an alpine board. I went with 55 front and 50 rear binding angles.   I was more comfortable with the stance than I expected.  The conditions were very hard pack and ice.  I was impressed with how well this board held given it is much stiffer than what I'm used to.  No falling, no edge catching.  I managed to link esses on the mellow blues.  After a few turns I would throw in a speed check.  Im excited to learn how to ride this way and am hoping for snow.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 6:12 AM, Billy Fruben said:

I recognize the biggest challenges will be related to the high angles and different body position relative to what I have been riding.

The biggest challenge tends to be configuring the gear so it works for you, rather than you working around it.

Happy to discuss. https://beckman.fit/contact/

On 2/7/2021 at 8:09 PM, lonbordin said:

I ended last season on the final day Camden was open March 15th. Definitely a carvable hill. Nor'Easter is a good run to learn on...

I was there that day also. I spent that evening scouring the web for any ski areas that didn't shut down

On 2/9/2021 at 4:43 PM, Beckmann AG said:

The biggest challenge tends to be configuring the gear so it works for you, rather than you working around it.

Happy to discuss. https://beckman.fit/contact/

Thank you.  I'll reach out for sure.

• 11 months later...