Note to New Members ×

Softboot binding questions

lonbordin

So a young man asked me some questions that I'm not certain of the answers and I'm wary of some of the information I've googled.

What's the highest angle you can go to with an unmodified softboot setup that is currently available and still get sufficient support from the boot and bindings on firm groomed snow conditions? (This isn't a powder discussion and it's not a third strap discussion 😁)

Is there any off the shelf bindings that allow for proper highback rotation for support at that higher angle?

Most off what I found seems to point to ~30 degrees as max. Also what I've found seems to say bindings don't allow for this much highback rotation. Yup, contradictory at best.

Thanks!

Asian riders ride flow, flux and SP bindings well into the 40-50 degree range. I'd say the lack of rotation is somewhat mitigated against by riding in the stiffest boots you can get and technique.

I've seen a few riders mount a wingd highback so the wing is on the inside and provides so additional support

Edited by scottishsurfer

2 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

Asian riders ride flow, flux and SP bindings well into the 40-50 degree range. I'd say the lack of rotation is somewhat mitigated against by riding in the stiffest boots you can get and technique.

I've seen a few riders mount a wingd highback so the wing is on the inside and provides so additional support

Ok I've not seen any Asian video that's not hero snow or powder. That said at 40 to 50 on unmodified bindings you might as well not have highbacks. I'm not going to tell a kid to move his bindings to 40-50... that boarders on absurd.

Can you show me where on might purchase a winged highback binding off the shelf???

I'm trying to get input that falls in the parameters of my original questions.

Thanks.

Flux DSW
https://www.flux-bindings.com/products/DSW/?color=2

I did use Rome sds targa at 33 degree's on my front foot the high back can be rotated a resonable amount but not quite enough thatll you can get it paralell to maybe 10 degrees off. They are no longer made as they have been replaced by the Cleaver model but the mounting hardware is the same so most likely has the same amount of rotation.

Edited by scottishsurfer

Thanks @scottishsurfer I appreciate the input. I do appreciate the levels folk like yourself and SBS achieve to modify your equipment to suit your riding. I'm part of that club with my hardboots.

That said, the scenario I'm trying to address modifications aren't on the table.

So it sounds like ~23+ you won't be able to get your highbacks parallel with off the shelf hardware.

So, over 20+ years I have run a lot of kids through race courses with both hardboots and softies. I don’t typically try to bring the softbooters  to angles higher than about 20 to 25° because they completely lose the power in their turns due to the width of the boards. If you have a board that is 20 to 25 cm wide and you start turning the boots to more than 25° they simply don’t get the edge pressure they need to adequately carve turns. We bring both feet facing forward rather than a duck stance but don’t try to get the aggressive angles that we do with the race boards. The technique for carving adequately on a soft boot board is dramatically different than carving on the race board in terms of body position, direction of lean, and heel/toe pressure needed with soft boots.

Just my thoughts,

Paul

• Thanks 1

howdy

don't limit yourself and your thinking... 

from SONIC CARVER youtube - google translate

Alpha Deck SG FULL RACE TITAN 175
SP Mountain Binding (Free Board Binding)
Ride Insano (Freeboard Boots)
Binding angle 63 degrees 60 degrees
Stance 51

Reflection video on the first day of the Alpine Know Board January 11, 2021

Please wear hard boots for the Alpine Snowboard. Soft boots can cause injury.
Do not follow !!!

Edited by west carven

I'm sure I will get grief for this however I ride 57 degree front and 60 degree back with K2 Thraxis soft boots and Ride El Hefe bindings on my Tanker 172. I really don't know what to say about it other than it works for me. I ride my softboots like any other hard booter (Plate rider) would ride hard boots. The stiffness in todays softboots very much resemble softer hard boots back when I rode hard boots (1992-2005). Salomon Malumutes and Burton Driver x used to be good softboots for carving but the Driver x's have gotten softer throughout the years. I have almost always ridden Ride bindings. I find the metal frame makes for a stiff base. They do break and I have gone through a few pairs but Ride warranties for life of binding.  I also have a pair of Catek metal softboot bindings. They are stiff but weigh a lot. I'd rather ride with the El Hefe's. 

Jt

My new soft set up is a SG soul titan with Burton Genesis bindings. The split nature of the mounting disc and the binding limits the max front angle to 30-36 degrees. So I set my back foot at 25ish, for my hips and knees. The bindings allow for the most high back twist I have seen. They are also probably the best carving bindings I have ever used, stiff and responsive without compromising comfort.