Note to New Members ×

Stein Eriksen

Jack M

I grew up skiing in the 50's and 60's. I remember, "Ski like Stein". 

Who's Craig Kelly? 😉

Right after Stein died, I was riding up the chair with a skier old enough to remember who Stein was. I asked him if he'd heard.  He said yes, in fact he first met Stein when he competed in nordic combined at the same Oslo Olympics where Stein won alpine gold. Turned out this old guy was George Hovland who started Spirit Mt in the 70's. He had a good story to tell. Saw him out skiing the other day and he was very curious about my board.

• Like 3

I too tried to emulate my dad, who was emulating Stein.  Quit skiing for snowboarding at age 13, when I was using 185cm Rossis.

Stein used a opposite shoulder/hip technique at times... seems like he was trying to get sideways... I think he really wanted to be snowboarding!

• LOL 1

Stein, was the most Beautiful skier I ever saw...though, he Hated Snowboarding with a passion 🙃 ...he had that Energy, that some people have, that just made you Stoked !! We would always yell, "STEIN" when we would see him skiing, he would raise one arm and smile as he disappeared... 

I saw him last on Kauai, out in the water Boogie boarding, in the early 90's, I offered to give his son a few surfing tips, as I was also teaching our children then... I told him how Awesome he was, how he influenced my Skiing in Aspen many years before...when I went up on the Beach later, he came up and thanked me for helping his son, I told him how I would have loved to go Snowboarding with him! That was when I learned of his opinion about Snowboarding...though I must say, it would have been wonderful to see, such as Stylist on a Stick... 🤭

No Doubt, his Energy and Influence back then was beyond compare...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, softbootsurfer said:

he Hated Snowboarding with a passion

Disappointing, but not surprising for his generation I guess.  I'll let it slide 😉 Too bad he couldn't see the light, like Jean Claude Killy:

"In powder snow and off-piste, no piece of equipment can come down the mountain faster than a board. When someone invents a faster, better way to go down the hill, it is to be respected. It was ridiculous for skiing to fight snowboarding. It saved the ski business, including resorts and manufacturers."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack M said:

Stein used a opposite shoulder/hip technique at times... seems like he was trying to get sideways... I think he really wanted to be snowboarding!

Apparently that was his technic to get close to the gates. Before skiers started bashing them (wonder who started that?). It was elegant and stylish. It became his signature style. I have a collection of old ski movies that has some great footage of Stein from John Jay films. John Jay was the Warren Miller of the 50's and 60's. I remember seeing them. He traveled the country with his films and narrated from the back of the theater. 

https://www.vintageskiworld.com/DVD-Box-Set-Classic-Ski-Films-7-Films-p/dvd-classic-7-films.htm

• Like 1