Note to New Members ×

Afton Alps 19/20

Scott.Creer

This morning was cold, hard, and fast. I spent most my time on 7. Met up with Joe for a few runs. It was good. My legs were dead by noon. On my way back from hylands I saw 12 was open and the BX was open without jumps or anything. I took 1 run on 12 and realized my legs were too dead to continue.

Screenshot_20200208-155026.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-155010.jpg

Got there in time for first chair on 7 at 9:30 and they are already setting 3 courses on 7. Went to 2 and there were 4 courses set there and the whole run closed to general public. Got a few runs in on 1 before they set another course there. They also set a 5th course on 2. The frustrating thing about all of the course setting today, was there was about 30-40 racers total between all of the courses on 7, 2, and 1. On 2, 3 of the courses were set with identical spacing between Gates, but they were not running head to head races. Mini-trent (who I rode up the chair with, super awesome by the way) had her own slalom course set for her. 

In highschool, I used to help the race program at my local hill set courses. There was a rule that only 1 run could be closed for racing/practices and all the teams had to use the same run/courses. I do not understand why that wasn't done on a day like today, when you know the hill is going to be mobbed and you have a lower volume of racers and kids.

Gripe over.

• 3 weeks later...