Note to New Members ×

So you wanted to Carve

Chouinard

Think back to what initially prevented you from carving! [10 day poll - the more participation the better]  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Equipment

• Didn't know where to buy a board.
    • Could not afford to buy a board.
    • Didn't know which board to buy.
    • Didn't know where to get board information.
    • Could not afford boots.
    • Didn't know where to buy boots.
    • Didn't know where to get boot information.
    • Didn't know which boots to buy.
    • All of the above.
  2. 2. Pitch

• No local pitch available.
    • No drive-able pitch [5 hrs - 7 hrs] available.
    • Local pitch available but too narrow or too steep.
    • Too expensive to travel for required pitch.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/26/2019 at 04:59 PM

On 3/15/2019 at 8:28 AM, BlueB said:

Where is the option about bindings? Board and boots are easy - bigger stiffer "regular" board and softer ski or AT boots can do, but bindings are more of an issue. I got my first ones of @big canuck (thanks bro!) when I discovered the BOL, placed them on my twin tip and took it from there... 

Thinking a bit more on this topic... As the matter of fact, I wasn't even craving the carve, I just wanted to ride the hard boots (ski boots in fact). I was after the comfort, control, performance and ability to change from skis to board and back, without changing the boots. I was already able to do unfinished carves on flatter runs on softies, but I was in constant pain... Then with hard boots (and reading BOL), better carving came naturally. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of Desire is the main constraining factor based on a 3% response rate

Here are the results. Keep in mind the information is derived from the comments not the poll.  To daveo’s point the poll was poorly designed. Originally when I tried to set up the poll the system kicked me out due to too many questions/choices so I just improvised. I was looking for comments more so than the polling data. Thanks to everyone who responded.

I was curious to see the reply-to-view ratio. 26 replies to 792 views. Slightly over a 3% response rate.

I went thru the comments and binned them as follows.  Included a couple of double comments and threw out a couple of off topic responses:

Didn’t know                         4             17%

Lack of Desire                    11           46%

Bindings                               1             4%

Lacking instruction           3             12.5%

Nothing                                3             12.5%

Cost                                       2             8%

Survey says Lack of Desire is the main constraining factor based on a 3% response rate. More importantly “desire” comments were coupled with comments about proactively seeking out the equipment, training and pitch. Speaks to a higher than average “self-reliant” group of enthusiasts determined to participate.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:41 PM, barryj said:

None of the above for me also......

I think your poling the wrong subset.......really should be asking everybody But us.

I agree with Scully -   " you will learn to carve if you have an "immediate, intense, driving desire to learn how to carve after one observes pure carving in person or on Youtube"

Agree totally as we're all totally committed.