Note to New Members ×

Board specs - technical questions

snowcat_az

20 hours ago, billyt. said:

Find what is limiting your enjoyment with your gear?

Brutal Arizonian winters are limiting it !

At 250 lb I bet your Coiler is stiffer than stock.

1 hour ago, pauleleven said:

See if they could buff up the flex a little bit for your weight, you'd be a little bit on the end of the spectrum. It's a reputable board maker and fits your requirement really well tho.

Another option is to add a vist plate to it, which will buff the flex a bit,  but I would say ride it naked until you are absolutely bending the S*** out of it before going with a plate.

I would be comfortable with more stiffness if SCR went smaller (as I still need full control at steeper slopes and around people). But I cannot predict how that combination would work. And I don't know how much stiffness the Speedster lost in 10 years as I can do probably 5..6 m clean turns (which I actually like). So brand new with little higher initial stiffness and metal composition may already be above desired stiffness. Otherwise - yes, VIST plate is an option.

26 minutes ago, BlueB said:

WCRM doesn't ride like Kessler and similar race boards. It's rounder and more predictable turn shape. 

That's about what I need.

3 hours ago, sonwcat said:

I would be comfortable with more stiffness if SCR went smaller (as I still need full control at steeper slopes and around people). But I cannot predict how that combination would work. And I don't know how much stiffness the Speedster lost in 10 years as I can do probably 5..6 m clean turns (which I actually like). So brand new with little higher initial stiffness and metal composition may already be above desired stiffness. Otherwise - yes, VIST plate is an option.

You've been riding some older boards, I'm guessing you will spend anywhere between 10-30 days on this board before you hit the weight threshold as you put more power into it, but you may never hit it depending on your riding style, you should be fine. 

Doesn't have to be Vist, any of the Vist Types would work. (FG Plate from @slapos), but again you may never need it.

I think the Prior is an excellent choice. I currently ride a 177 WCRM and it is perfect for my riding style. I have tried VSR boards from both of the other North American manufacturers and neither rides the way I want it to. The Prior does. I simply find that the Prior finishes a turn in a predictable manner. I also have their MFR wide and I can carve that thing all day long. There's nothing wrong with Prior so don't be bullied into a board that you don't feel will work for you. 

Edited by Boarder_Ted
  • Thanks 1

I think you’re describing a stock Donek Proteus 175 - constant radius, plenty of pop at your weight, titanal dampness and it LOVES to finish the turn which offers more speed control than a gs design. Sean can certainly customize it but stock specs should be very close. I ride the 180 but I’m 105kg.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonny said:

I think you’re describing a stock Donek Proteus 175 - constant radius, plenty of pop at your weight, titanal dampness and it LOVES to finish the turn which offers more speed control than a gs design. Sean can certainly customize it but stock specs should be very close. I ride the 180 but I’m 105kg.

Sounds like he made his choice and ordered a Prior... but I’m with you - the OP description of ‘wants’ lines up with the Proteus 175.  

I’ve got one for sale in the classifieds - missed this thread until today lol.   

@skidad62, saw your posting. Proteus 175 was on my list first, but 2 things I don't like about it are 12m SCR (may be too tight vs 14m it's supposed to replace) and straight cut tail. Weight range not specified which adds more ambiguity.

Curious how single-SCR Metal FC would compare, as it's closer to what I wanted shape-wise.

Anyway, customizing either of them would be over 1200 and few weeks delivered. Which I wouldn't mind if I didn't see that WCRM 177 with presumably right specs and similar composition, already in stock.

12 hours ago, sonwcat said:

@skidad62, saw your posting. Proteus 175 was on my list first, but 2 things I don't like about it are 12m SCR (may be too tight vs 14m it's supposed to replace) and straight cut tail. Weight range not specified which adds more ambiguity.

Curious how single-SCR Metal FC would compare, as it's closer to what I wanted shape-wise.

Anyway, customizing either of them would be over 1200 and few weeks delivered. Which I wouldn't mind if I didn't see that WCRM 177 with presumably right specs and similar composition, already in stock.

The 12M on the Proteus 175 makes for a nice right finished turn when desired - but due to length and stiffness (and pop) of the board it handles longer turns with ease.

I've not noticed any downsides to the square tail - never feels like it hooks for me.

Weight range is very broad - Jack Michaud the original owner of my Proteus 175 was about 185 lbs or so... I'm over 200.  Both managed the Proteus with ease.

Mine is on for $450 if you decide you want a back up board!

Edited by skidad62
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skidad62 said:

I live in Canada’s snowiest city... want some for your yard?  Lol

I did Phoenix for Christmas - loved it!

OMG ! Sure, can you email a little ?

And yes, AZ is a fantastic place in many aspects, snow sports is just not one of them. Still, I'm spending more time on the slopes now, than I was doing back in Russia 10 yrs ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, just got back from the snowboarding tour.

The new WCRM has touched Brian Head, Sierra-At-Tahoe, Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl and Snowbowl so far. One more forum member has also ridden it, and might comment.

So the practical difference feels negligible. Stiffer -- yes, but smaller SCR compensates a bit, like expected. Lower chance of nose hook-up though. Can't say it's much more damping either, and edge hold is similar, although Speedster has 1 / 88 deg, and WCRM -- supposedly 0 / 89 deg. Seems that WCRM is more strict on morning icy spring hard pack. By the 6th snow day got a feeling that it induces more aggressive riding style (which is probably a good sign), but that may be just because of consecutive days of practice.

Basically, despite subjectively I like WCRM much better, from the practical perspective nothing is wrong with the Speedster either.

Funny thing happened with another Speedster, GTS 166, which has been retired for few years due to soft flex and tight SCR (10 m?). Suddenly, during re-evaluation it demonstrated decent edge hold and super easy handling, thus has all chances to become main AMT / steep slope / busy day board.

• Like 1