Note to New Members ×

Seattle trip quesitons

lonbordin

Mission Ridge is about a 3 hour drive from Seattle but it usually has the best carving conditions and the least crowded runs: https://www.missionridge.com/trail-map

Crystal Mountain is great resort with a nice variety of terrain: https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/the-mountain/mountain-report/trail-maps/

Stevens Pass is also a good resort: https://www.stevenspass.com/site/mountain/maps/trail-map

The Summit at Snoqualmie (the closest to Seattle) has 4 areas, 3 are easy (Summit West, Summit Central, Summit East) then there's Alpental, which has awesome steep runs and great backcountry terrain: https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/maps

Stevens Pass and The Summit at Snoqualmie have good night skiing/riding.

There's also Mt Baker (if you're up for the drive): https://www.mtbaker.us/ski-area-info/trail-map

• Thanks 1

I gotta rep stevens because I work there

It has a good variety in off-piste type of terrain, and you can always find powder if you're willing to go off a marked trail(assuming it has snowed recently). Night skiing there is great but prepare for some big, big moguls on weekends, and hillbombing maniac skiers on weeknights. There's a couple spots I've found that're consistently good for doing big turns at night.

It has a great park... If you care about that...

I'm told mission ridge is great for blasting down hills and carving, their snow is drier too! It's just ~45 minutes east of Stevens.

What part of the area will you be staying in?

Edited by nuisanceIV
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lonbordin said:

I'll be in the Belltown neighborhood in Seattle.

Oh nice. Right in downtown!

You're sort of in the "middle", so Crystal, Snoqualmie, and Stevens are pretty reasonable to get to(< 2 hr)! Baker, White Pass, Mission Ridge, and Whistler will be a bit of a drive in comparison(>= 2hr 30min). 

If you don't have an Epic Pass, and you plan on going to Stevens buy your tickets online, it'll be cheaper. Earlier the better! Might be the same with the other resorts.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2019 at 3:26 AM, nuisanceIV said:

I'm told mission ridge is great for blasting down hills and carving, their snow is drier too! It's just ~45 minutes east of Stevens.

FYI, Mission Ridge is a 70 mile drive from Stevens Pass and (with average traffic/road conditions) it usually takes about 1.5 hours to drive from Stevens to Mission Ridge.  www.google.com/maps

Edited by noschoolrider
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, noschoolrider said:

FYI, Mission Ridge is a 70 mile drive from Stevens Pass and (with average traffic/road conditions) it usually takes about 1.5 hours to drive from Stevens to Mission Ridge.  www.google.com/maps

I might of been thinking of the drive to Leavenworth for some reason oopsies😥

Edited by nuisanceIV
said wrong thing

Mission is tops for carving. Best grooming and widest runs near Seattle. At 3 hours, it's a bit tough for a day trip. 

Baker is iconic for snowboarding for good reason. Most snow in North America and super interesting terrain. Go if you want to spend all day off piste. 2.5 hours. 

Crystal and Stevens are reasonable compromises for day trips. 1:45 from Seattle. Weekends can be zoos. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This evening it's going to be Ski Bowl.   I'm working later so it's all I can swing.  It hasn't stopped snowing in Gov. Camp since yesterday evening (4+" minimum).

Friday Timberline  (Not sure... might take some PTO)

Sat Meadows

Sun Bachelor

Mon Meadows  (late in the day)

Tues Meadows (later in the day)

Edited by lonbordin
Switched dates

I would advise going to Crystal Sunday instead of Saturday. Its shaping up to be sunny, starting off in the mid 20s and warming up to high 30s. The groomers should be outstanding. Not much at the summit except Alpental on a pow day. The rest of the Summit is Ok but runs are pretty short. Crowds have been shrinking lately and with any luck that will continue into the weekend.   I'll most likely  be up at Crystal Friday and Sunday, mostly a softboot guy, look out for an Alloy D0 165 or a Kessler BX.

10 hours ago, Waboarder said:

I would advise going to Crystal Sunday instead of Saturday. Its shaping up to be sunny, starting off in the mid 20s and warming up to high 30s. The groomers should be outstanding.

The forecast is the same both days?  My long day is Saturday and my short day is Sunday.  I figured it would be best to have more time for the larger hill and the longer commute.  

I see they changed the forecast, initially they were calling for clouds on Saturday. Probably a good decision on your part. Crystal is big ! Make sure to check out the view from the top of the Gondola. Mt. Rainer in your face!! Have a blast, it’s a great hill.

• Thanks 1

Got to ride Snoqualmie (Central) with @STP today.  Fantastic!  Sun got on it and it softened up... felt like home... well except for the deep natural snow and the steepness.  😁

It's really great to ride with a quality rider on their home hill... they know all the places to go.  Thank you Steve! :biggthump

quGl7S3.jpg

Whotta' trip.   That's probably it for this season for me and what a season it's been.  I'm so stoked.   

So many high points and memories...  I really underestimated Crystal.  I didn't get to spend as much time as I would want on Bachelor.  

Getting to watch those plated Tinkers do their thing... (It's awesome that we have niche inside Alpine Snowboarding that most of use will never even see much less experience, crazy.)

So. much.  sweet POW.

I think next X-mas break we're coming back... I think Bend as home base... I need more time with Mt. Bachelor.

Thanks everyone for all the advice... much appreciated. :biggthump

Edited by lonbordin
Summit express... will be mine!