Note to New Members ×

Old Thermoflex expansion ? 26 liner in a 27 shell ??

ziolino66

So, my old boots are absolute toast, and I'm not ready to invest in a brand new pair (mostly because I'm really unsure what will work and fit best), so I'm trying to find a way to make what's available work at least temporarily. I have always ridden and want to stay with a softer hardboot so I'm pretty much looking at older SB Raichle/Deeluxe (though not ideal for my foot shape) .  I've scoured the forums for info, compared with previous boots, and as a result I now probably have more questions than answers but I'll try to focus on the main issue/question here. My feet measure 26.7 and 27.1 so from what I've been reading, I think I'd probably be best off with a 26 shell in the Raichle/Deeluxe boots. And so of course everything I'm now finding for sale is listed as a 9 or 27 ! 1 pair of 324s are listed locally dirt cheap, and Snowjob1 has a nice pair of Track 225s (28.5 liners ?).  I have an almost new (maybe moulded once?) pair of the old Raichle Thermoflex liners in a 26.0  I'll try to load a pic or two shortly. SO MY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH DO THE OLD THERMOFLEX LINERS EXPAND WHEN HEATED? WILL THEY EXPAND ENOUGH TO FILL A 27 SIZE SHELL OR WILL THEY BE SLOSHING AROUND IN THERE? Also the 26.0 liners are a pretty close fit but I'm pretty sure I read that's the way they should be before moulding. Is that correct? Will the inner dimensions stretch a little to accommodate a toe cap etc. ?? Is there another "high volume" liner that would work better? I've had great experience with a couple of pairs of thermo liners and have no problem buying new liners if it'll work. Any helpful info is greatly appreciated 

6 hours ago, ziolino66 said:

SO MY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH DO THE OLD THERMOFLEX LINERS EXPAND WHEN HEATED? 

They may fill the voids at first, but will likely pack in very quickly, leaving the foot rattling around in the liner, and the liner rattling around in the shell.

Edited by BobD

I have size 9 1/2 US feet, and have used both 26.5 and 27.5 Raichle Boots with Thermoflex liners.  There are different volumes in liners.  In the 27.5 Raichles, I used an additional insole from another boot, and you could also use a footbed.  I use 4 toes cut out from sweat socks just past the ball of the foot to give me wiggle room and also fill up the additional toe room in the boot.  I can't remember what size the thermoflex liner was that I used in that pair of boots, and they're 1000 miles away.  In the 26.5 I use the thinnest pair of Thermoflex that I've had in size 8.

I've have picked up all of my Thermoflex _ Intuition liners from Play It Again Sports and thrift shops in old Deluxe or Raichle softboots.  Usually around $20 including the boots.  Boots are a throw away or a donation.

With a straight up 27 (not 27.5) you should be pretty good with the liner pushed with the toes and an additional insole and/or footbed.