Note to New Members ×

SG Snowboards? Do They Use a Recommended Weight Range Scale??

barryj

FR: titanal layer, stiffer, higher top speed and ice stability

FC: non-titanal, more flexy and casual

150/175: women's sl/gs

157/180: heavier/stronger women's and lighter/weaker men's sl/gs

163/185: men's sl/gs

163XT: men's sl wide can be used more casually in an all mountain or EC setting

170: men's freecarve (think K168 as a long sl and SG170 as its short gs evil twin)

Customs: not unless you're going to win Olympic medals. 

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, daveo said:

150/175: women's sl/gs

163/185: men's sl/gs

Eww, get your facts straight, I ride a 175 and it's GREAT, AM I A WOMAN?

AND, Ledecka rides 185, IS SHE A MAN????

hi daveo

4 hours ago, barryj said:

On the SG website https://www.sgsnowboards.com/snowboards/  looking at the stats for each of their specific boards I see no reference to rider weight or  weight range for their boards.......... or the option to buy different  stiffness within the same  model run ....am I missing something??

but yea for up to ~55kg the 50(also kids), to ~70kg 57/75,  to ~80kg the 80, 70kg+ or a pro rider 63/85, just look at 4 models of FR Pro team, only 4 models(57,  63,  75, 85), 2 SL 2 GS 2 Male 2 Female. If you ride hardcore can go one level up

4 hours ago, pauleleven said:

70kg+ or a pro rider 63/85

Are you saying the Full Race 163 and the Full Carve 163's recommended weight range starts at  70kg/154lbs. ??

....so what's the upper end of that recommended weight range for a SG 163? 70kg - ??

.....and where is this info found?   

3 minutes ago, Kneel said:

Betcha @barryj's looking at the FC170. 😛

Ha! your close Kneel.............would love to try both the 170 and 163 but was more interested in the  turnier Full Race 163...... I do like their 20.3 waist

I would think the SG170 would be to much like my Ki68.............

15 minutes ago, barryj said:

Are you saying the Full Race 163 and the Full Carve 163's recommended weight range starts at  70kg/154lbs. ??

....so what's the upper end of that recommended weight range for a SG 163? 70kg - ??

.....and where is this info found?   

Ha! your close Kneel.............would love to try both the 170 and 163 but was more interested in the  turnier Full Race 163...... I do like their 20.3 waist

I would think the SG170 would be to much like my Ki68.............

I'd think for both the 163 and 185 there really isn't an upper limit, the ~70kg is just reference taken from SG's specs (fullrace pro team) and how Kessler categorize his boards by weight.

I would think the FRT163 and the K168 would be more similar, no? Don't know if you surf, but I equate the difference between the FC170 and K168 as surfing with a thruster or quads respectively. When I need predictability and have lots of room to move I use a thruster. When I need speed and control I switch to quads.  I wish there was the equivalent to snowboarding as there is surfing with intro of the 5-fin. 👍 

Just now, Kneel said:

I would think the FRT163 and the K168 would be more similar, no? Don't know if you surf, but I equate the difference between the FC170 and K168 as surfing with a thruster or quads respectively. When I need predictability and have lots of room to move I use a thruster. When I need speed and control I switch to quads.  I wish there was the equivalent to snowboarding as there is surfing with intro of the 5-fin. 👍 

Hmmm. I've ridden a FR163, it's a full on race SL board. Honestly way stiffer than the K168 and even stiffer than the FC170. I think the K168 is a hero board. Anyone can carve it and feel like and look like a hero. 

19 minutes ago, daveo said:

Hmmm. I've ridden a FR163, it's a full on race SL board. Honestly way stiffer than the K168 and even stiffer than the FC170. I think the K168 is a hero board. Anyone can carve it and feel like and look like a hero. 

That's why I was questioning the overlap. My K168 was custom to my girlish 6'1" 200lbs and what I would consider stiff, compared equally to the off-the-shelf FC170, so my perspective is likely apples to oranges. But my 18yo son who is also 6' but 30lbs lighter can still beat the K into submission.  He's just a better all around, certainly more efficient rider...

12 hours ago, barryj said:

On the SG website https://www.sgsnowboards.com/snowboards/  looking at the stats for each of their specific boards I see no reference to rider weight or  weight range for their boards.......... or the option to buy different  stiffness within the same  model run ....am I missing something??

The 163 SG fullraceTitan is a great board. Unless you're 250lbs or more, I doubt you could overpower it. If you're shopping on the used market they are likely all the same, as opposed to Kesslers of which there are a lot of custom builds out there, so it's harder to know what you're getting. 

If you like a board that likes to complete turns and you can ride all day, you should consider the 162 Thirst SF. I had one built with a 20.5 waist and I love it. It has the silky smooth turns of a Kessler,  the aggressive rebound of the SG FullRace and edge hold on ice 2nd to none. It has stability at speed, weather you're doing tight turns on a steep hill or opening up and shooting across the hill. I no longer miss my 163 SG FRT! Plus you can get a custom build for less than the price of a new factory built SG and far less than a custom K.

You should talk to Mark. Maybe he'd have a demo available. I bet there's a lot of folks in NE that would like to see what all the hype is about.

3 hours ago, daveo said:

All I see is magic bullet this, magic bullet that, magic bullet blah blah blah

whatever daveo

10 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

All I see is magic bullet this, magic bullet that, magic bullet blah blah blah

whatever daveo

Not my fault it's the magic bullet. I didn't make the rules, I just follow them!

You'll see once you ride mine! 

Just now, daveo said:

Not my fault it's the magic bullet. I didn't make the rules, I just follow them!

You'll see once you ride mine! 

I got a Kessler test board for this weekend, I think, maybe?

Don't know the length or anything, maybe it's a 162, maybe a 168, maybe it can even be a 156 lady's board, everyone thinks I'm a lady apparently.

I see will

2 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

162 Thirst SF

Hmm.....been thinking about a Thirst SF  but can't go for the stock 18.8 waist and imagined it much easier to find a  used SG          What %  less stiff is the SG  Full Carve than Full Race?? ...  I don't want anything stiffer than my K168

2 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

162 Thirst SF. I had one built with a 20.5 waist and I love it.

Double Hmm......yeah I'd have to get a 20.5 waist also if I ordered an Thirst SF.                              Wonder if it would be apples to oranges to compare a Thirst 162 SF and my Alloy D.O. 161 ??  For a 25.2 waist the D.O. is  crazy fast edge to edge with it's VSCR of 11-9.5

47 minutes ago, barryj said:

Hmm.....been thinking about a Thirst SF  but can't go for the stock 18.8 waist and imagined it much easier to find a  used SG          What %  less stiff is the SG  Full Carve than Full Race?? ...  I don't want anything stiffer than my K168

Double Hmm......yeah I'd have to get a 20.5 waist also if I ordered an Thirst SF.                              Wonder if it would be apples to oranges to compare a Thirst 162 SF and my Alloy D.O. 161 ??  For a 25.2 waist the D.O. is  crazy fast edge to edge with it's VSCR of 11-9.5

Can't help you there. I've only ridden a K168 once on frozen groom, and don't know for sure if it was custom or stock (it was used). It seemed too similar to my customized Rev175.  Of course, it was only a couple of runs on less than ideal conditions, so...

Also, have not ridden SG Full carve. I suspect they're great, although the few times I've  demoed a full-on race model back-to-back with the "free carve" or "more user friendly" offerings from a manufacturer, I've found the "race" models more to my liking.

Thirst really doesn't have "stock" boards, as each board is custom made for your weight, waist width (with limitations), and of course the little things that make them special like the asym (WARP) core and asym sidecut for either left or right foot forward. As with BV/Coiler, each board is made by the man himself, one at a time and the workmanship is impeccable.

Aren't you coming to Turner?...and didn't you guys just get dumped on? Shouldn't you be out ridding?

27 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

Aren't you coming to Turner?...and didn't you guys just get dumped on? Shouldn't you be out ridding?

Not coming to Turner   🤕  Shoulder Injury......

You've obviously are not keeping up with barryj post,  "Name That injury"  :nono:

Did get 2ft Sat/Sunday.....was out riding  for the 1st time in 2 weeks just yesterday...  short lived, but successful all the same.....details also in same above post 

Come on,  BW..... try to keep up with all my life altering social media updates...will ya!   :lurk: