Note to New Members ×

UPZ Liner to Deeluxe Boot - What Size?

barryj

This is the boot model the liner would come from and theres a pic of the liner.....

http://upzboots.com/shop/2019-rc12-shoxxter-solid-lime-yellow/

Dan says..... 

UPZ makes all their own liners in house in Austria.

Can't really say for sure how the UPZ liner will fit your Deeluxe as I have not tried it. But I have used UPZ liners in Salomon ski boots for a long time and never had an issue. Have sold ski racers the FLO liner to to in Langes and other ski boots and all feedback was positive. So I do not forsee any fit issue with the liner to your shells.

9 hours ago, Corey said:

I don't have a Deeluxe shell to confirm, but I'd bet the stock UPZ liner heel would swim inside the large Deeluxe heel pocket. 

Actually I can confirm this. Tried this experiment. The liner will be snug around your heel but the liner will swim inside the shell. Well, it did for me. For my friend, who has tissue box shaped feet, it was more acceptable. But sub-optimal, regardless.

On top of that, (apart from a few, who love it), most dislike the UPZ liner. I personally hated it.

Edited by daveo

9 hours ago, daveo said:

most dislike the UPZ liner. I personally hated it.

Ugh!  Dave!                                                                                                                                  Now What!    Back to Intuition I guess  :smashfrea

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1

There aren't many people that dislike foamed liners.  Not the thermo-molded kind; the kind with hoses sticking out the top that they pump magic goo into.  Maybe that's the best path if you have the $$ and it's available near you?  

I'm pretty happy with my Intuition Alpine liners.  Way stiffer (in compression) than the old red Deeluxe liners, but boot flex stays pretty soft in my UPZ RC-10s and my previous Deeluxe 700s.  

Thanks for that info Corey

So in choosing the Alpine Liner your shell fit was more than 1 finger?

"The Alpine is a medium volume liner and works best with a shell fit* of One – two fingers (1/2″-1¼”)"

...or you just wanted to take up more room in the boot with a "Medium Volume" liner ??  

I'm  a low volume shell fit, but thinking of getting medium volume (Dreamliner) tongue liner.... for tighter heel pocket and eventual pack out. 

10 hours ago, barryj said:

Thanks for that info Corey

Well, my self-bootfitting story had many bumps in the road.  Let's call them 'learning opportunities'.  I have very low-volume feet, high arches, and a medium toe width.  I crammed the Alpine liners in a too-small 27 shell, but suffered from toe-bang often.  I finally clued into trying size 28 shells for my size 28.5 feet, and amazingly my toe issues went away.  

Sorry, I can't advise on your specific situation.  

On 11/6/2018 at 1:03 AM, barryj said:

Ugh!  Dave!                                                                                                                                  Now What!    Back to Intuition I guess  :smashfrea

Sorry Barry. But it's the hard truth. Tough love. Better you do it right than make a $xxx mistake. I don't wanna see that! ❤️ 

On 11/7/2018 at 2:36 AM, barryj said:

"The Alpine is a medium volume liner and works best with a shell fit* of One – two fingers (1/2″-1¼”)"

...or you just wanted to take up more room in the boot with a "Medium Volume" liner ??  

I'm  a low volume shell fit, but thinking of getting medium volume (Dreamliner) tongue liner.... for tighter heel pocket and eventual pack out. 

You can get a thermo Palau liner customised for not much more cost than stock. You could contact them and see what they can do for you given your specific situation. Not sure if it matters to you but, Intuition = made in China, Palau = made in Frogland (France obv.).

12 hours ago, daveo said:

Intuition = made in China

Good to know Dave!    ....but I met with the local ski/race boot fitter who's also a Podiatrist and he suggested Intuition Pro Tongue......(he doesn't sell many Thermo Tongue liners so he doesn't stock them)  So I ordered them from backcountry.com and just got back from having them molded to my feet in the 425's

Seem pretty good carpet surfing so far!  So the dead is done...at least for this season!! 

Thanks for everybody's input!! :biggthump

4 hours ago, barryj said:

So I ordered them from backcountry.com and just got back from having them molded to my feet in the 425's

Wait .. I hope this doesn't mean no more liner discussion. We're gonna need a full review of these liners, Barry!

Do you have a link to the liners you got? They sound nice!

Pat,  Good Intuition review from doglotion!

"PRO TONGUE liners are the first tongue style liners Intuition created that can compete with the Power Wrap in stiffness. They’re ideal for most shells used by intermediate and advanced level skiers and riders. This high-density, medium thickness liner features a 2mm Strobel sole, with removable 7mm foam insoles, and a roomy toe box to accommodate various foot volumes and widths in tighter fitting shells"

"The Pro Tongue is a medium volume liner and works best with a shell fit* of One – two fingers (1/2″-1¼”)"

Dave,   Yeah ...I got the Pro Tongue liner molded and added a Superfeet footbed ..........it felt nice and snug in the heel pocket carpet surfing...but we will see!     Once I get a couple of weeks of solid use under them I'll post up some feedback.  I'll do a same day 700 to 425 comparison and then  I'll stuff the Pro Tongue into my Track 700's on the same day for a 700 with and without a custom liner comparison.   

I haven't tried to see if the 425's will step right into my TD3 SW SI's that are set up for my  700's on the Kessler,  Coiler and  Alloy D.O. boards.  Hopefully no binding adjustment is needed...........but I do know the Track 325's I have for my pow setup required  a different binding setup because of the smaller footprint(?).....even though all my boots are mondo 28