Note to New Members ×

Burton Ultra Primes

skatha

Guest Mark Jeangerard

If you've got a deal on an Ultra Prime and want to go start carving - by all means go start carving. I've seen a lot of people do really nice carves on an UP. My UP comes to mind. I can't ride it for some reason, but others can. I like my Factory Primes better.

What's a good deal? 75-150 bucks for one in good shape. Remember that boards do wear out when buying.

If you can, hook up with some other carvers. A little help at the beginning will make a huge difference. Plus they'll have different boards you can try. You may take a shine to something unexpected.

Boards can be very personal. Ride everything you can get your hands on. What you like and ride now, may not be the same as your skills change. So used and cheap is good at this point. You'll probably blow through a few boards before your carves become your own.

Go carve, it's good.

This board has the bindings with it-"carrier step-in's"

It's on eBay(of course, what did we do before eBay) and the buy it now price is $249

The seller has some hard boots up as well, my size

I emailed him about the compatiblilty and the boots and board go together. The pics of the board look good. The bindings? They appear different from the new bindings I see listed on this site, as in no clip over the toes of the boot...

Plus, I just spent about $1200 this year already on snowboarding equipment...

Plus, I just bought some snowblades...

Plus, I'm getting a big IRS return....

Ahhh, the agony:D

Greetings,

The board that is on Ebay is a 156cm UP. If you happen to be around 150 lbs or less, that might be ok, but the price is too high to call this a deal.

I have a 168 UP that fits me at 5'9", 185lbs. Check the classifieds, there are others boards that are good beginning carvers too.

Burton carrier bindings are the lowest grade of Burton alpine bindings. Mostly plastic, these aren't very good anymore. A lightly used UP is still a good board for under $200.

Check out http://www.chrisklug.com and the carvers almanac http://www.alpinecarving.com

--Hugh

I second the previous comment regarding price and board size. I am 135 lbs and ride a Burton UP 162 with TD1 bindings. For my light weight it is a terrfic board.

I rode with Mark Jeangerard (the second poster) for a good part of Thursday at SES and I think he'll attest to the my UP's ability to hold a nice carve.

better than a Amp or Alp the UPs had a more even flex than the other Burton alpine gear in a way I guess it was the most "modern" alpine deck they ever made

I prefer a factory prime for a few reasons but for a first board a UP is good choice, they are forgiving and do rail

just don't pay more than $150 even if its new

save yourself the trouble and get some good bindings like a TD1, TD2 or catek

well fit boots are probably the most important thing

I had some Carrier bindings and hated them. Apparently they don't like Raichle boots, and every time I crashed they let go on me. Supposedly there was an easy fix, but by that time I was so freaked out I gave them away... if you get step ins, then you'll have to get Intec heels if the boots don't already have them, and mess about installing the cables. If the boots from the same seller match, then they'll already have all this, hopefully.

Don't forget too that the Burton boards are a 3 hole pattern for the bindings and everything else on the market is 4 hole. If you get another board later on, you'll have to get some 4x4 disks for the Burton bindings if you want to swap, or if you buy something like TD's you'll have to get 3 hole disks to start and then a set of 4's later on. Not a big thing, but extra money and hassle.

Rock on the snowblades ... my choice for mess-about days on the hill as well ...

Originally posted by bobdea

and catek WC fit both 3D and 4x4 with one disc

the TD2 you will need the 3D disc and I assume the same is true for the catek olympic based on the disc that came with my freerides

I *think* the Olympics come with a disk that also works for the "A-Hole" pattern as I like to call it. Perhaps Burton allows others to make plate bindings w/ 3D pattern royalty free, while they charge royalties for soft bindings??? In any I had a pair of Olympics once and they were A-hole compatible

Thanks for all the info...I'm watching for now-ebay, that is...

He's selling a longer UP and a Sims as well...

The boots are a different story-they're Blax boots. I would want to change out the liners once I got them, mainly because I get weirded out by wearing other people's clothing. Any experience with the boots? Would replacement liners be do-able?