Note to New Members ×

Good Board for new Snowboarder?

xacta168

New to carving or new to snowboarding as the title states?  I have that board.  It's one stiff unforgiving board for experienced riders let alone someone new to snowboarding.  Much better choices out there that will get you enjoying riding faster.  That's gonna be a handfull...?

Is this a Speed 168, 22.5 wide? It's one of my favorite boards, from the past. I didn't find it stiff at all compared to older FPs. Also it has nice big shovel and width, I found it very all-mountain capable. It can EC too. 

Mind you, mine was the blood splatter version... might be softer then the one pictured here... 

howdy

more pics of... I believe it is the same board...

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/langstonmcdowell/album/2002-Burton-Speed-Snowboard/

I have the 160 and it is kinda stiff for my girly weight, but it is a great board... if your friend

is on the taller, heavier side it should work well for him... my blood splatter 2003 178 speed has great flex...

I think yours is from 2002... ha!, I was going to refer you to blueb... as I know he has the 2003 168 speed...

• LOL 1

Actually I traded it to Scooby, for an F2 ElDiablo. He doesn't ride it - likes it too much as wall art. 

I think if your friend is over 170lbs, he'll be ok. However,  if he's just learning snowboarding, I'd put him on a regular board first, for few days, even if he's learning on hard boots. 

It is possible, but your friend will have to be the right size/weight for the board and really be motivated to give alpine snowboarding a serious try.  If alpine wasn't his idea, this is probably not the way.

In my 4 years of instructing I taught about a half dozen non-snowboarders how to snowboard on full alpine setups, including my then-girlfriend-now-wife.  So it is possible.  These people were all skiers, so they were comfortable with hardboots and familiar with the concepts and goals.  Actually I feel they had an easier time than the people on the shite rental softboot equipment.  If your friend isn't already a skier then the odds are not as good.