Note to New Members ×

Donek Flux

As I have explained in another post - I have been trying to carve in hard boots and narrow boards for quite some time and I never really got past intermediate. I decided to try soft boot carving. I demo'd a Donek Flux and loved it well enough to order one. I've ridden it about 4 days now and I really like it. I have relatively little experience to compare it to but it really works for me. 

Specs: Donek Flux 158cm. 26cm waist. SCR = 8.5 - 10m. Flex was tuned to my weight (160 lbs). I'm riding it with Flow Talon boots (size 10) and Flow NX2 GT bindings. My angles are about 30 degrees front and about 12 degrees rear. 

I find that this board carves great in fairly soft conditions. I haven't really tried it in firmer conditions. The board also behaves well in soft, untracked snow (haven't really tried it in true powder). I find that I can carve some nice arcs on a groomer and then let it go into "off-piste" cut-up snow conditions and it rides great. 

Though I may not call this board a "quiver killer", I have never found myself wondering if I would be happier on some other board. 

For me, Sean Martin really hit it out of the park with this board. 

• 7 months later...

Hey John,

I'm pretty new on here and have found myself leaning towards a Flux.  Last year I had Sean make a Knapton twin for me and realized I'm simply too old to keep riding freestyle and really want to continue Softboot carving.  The Flux is my next move and I'm curious how its been treating you lately.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

My snowboard buddy & I got new Fluxes (?) late last season. We got them up to Loveland last Friday for the first time this season. We both started the day on other old boards. He was on a Head. I was on a Ride Mecca. 

We were both having a pretty good time carving up on Ptarmigan. About 10AM we both switched to our Fluxes. 

WOW! What a difference! We both noticed that the Doneks held an edge much better than the other boards. 

We had a great time. We both agree that they are our favorite new toys. 

IMG_1011.JPG

Just throwing this out there.  It's pretty damn good as a hardboot board as well in just about any conditions you can throw at them.  I have 162(original) and 168(bomber) Fluxes with 22cm  waist,  8.5-10 scr and they are the smoothest boards I've ever been on.  Point and shoot predictability too. They are my late morning boards and they just beat northeast crud into submission. 👍

• 1 month later...

Had a chance to get my Flux into powder last week. 

Thursday at Vail we had about 14" of powder. I was on my powder specific board (a 158 Burton Fish). On Friday I got on my Flux. Still plenty of powder stashes. Lots of variable conditions (all soft). 

I would be hard-pressed to say that the Fish was better in powder conditions than the Flux. Back-to-back days in similar conditions the Flux shined. Easy. Fun!

Buy one. You will love it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2018 at 1:41 PM, JohnE said:

Specs: Donek Flux 158cm. 26cm waist. SCR = 8.5 - 10m. Flex was tuned to my weight (160 lbs). I'm riding it with Flow Talon boots (size 10) and Flow NX2 GT bindings. My angles are about 30 degrees front and about 12 degrees rear. 

with 26cm waist and 12 degrees rear, is your rear feet boot out?

• 2 years later...

Flux update. I ordered and received another Flux from Sean at Donek. My first Flux was 158cm x 26cm waist x 8.5 - 10m SCR. I ordered a new one because I was concerned that the older one had lost it's camber and that somehow negatively affected the board. 

I asked Sean to make this one different than my old board - but different BETTER - not different WORSE. He replied that he couldn't guarantee that. So, we settled on 162cm x 27cm waist x 7.5 - 9M SCR. 

The boot & binding setup is almost identical: Flow (Nidecker)Talon boots with Flow (Nidecker) NX2-CX bindings. I LOVE this boot / binding setup. Myself & my riding buddy agree that this setup makes the rider / board interface invisible. I am almost unaware of the connection to my board. 

I've ridden my old board & new one in many conditions from groom to powder to cutup powder. I have more hours on the old one so this is not a 1:1 comparison but pretty close. 

Bottom line: I really couldn't tell which board I was on without looking down at it. The differences in the ride is very subtle. I can't tell that the lack of camber in the older board makes any difference.  

In my estimation the biggest factors in carving well are: 1) Conditions, 2) Ability, 3) Equipment. 

All that being said I love my Flux boards for all conditions. I don't think you can go wrong with the small differences in specs. I never think to myself: "Am I on the right board?".  

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gregory is on the right. He has risers on his board. I have them on my other Flux. These are to help avoid boot drag. We got them from Donek. They raise your boot by 1/2". I think they are called "BX Risers". Last time I looked at the Donek site I didn't see them. If you are interested, you might contact Donek (Sean) directly. 

• Thanks 1