Note to New Members ×

Tech Articles

Jack M

An advanced rider tech article I'd like to see would be a primer for 3D printing custom cant/lift wedges for the F2 series of bindings. I wouldn't know where to start, but there's clearly some expertise in the community.

Edited by SunSurfer
edited for clarity

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

An advanced rider tech article I'd like to see would be a primer for 3D printing custom cant/lift wedges for the F2 series of bindings. I wouldn't know where to start, but there's clearly some expertise in the community.

I could probably cover that...

(Sorry its been so long forthcoming - a head injury has kind of rocked me back on my heels this winter - life has largely been an exercise in keeping my head above water at work this winter.)

Anyway, if there's interest, I'd happily lead, or at least contribute to, such an effort. (I suppose this might be particularly timely, with the apparent demise of the TD line of bindings...)

Edited by jim_s
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jim_s said:

An advanced rider tech article I'd like to see would be a primer for 3D printing custom cant/lift wedges for the F2 series of bindings

I’m very interested in this particular subject.  I’ve always felt one of the few drawbacks with the F2s was the lack of fine tuning for canting angles; you can stack alternating cant wedges for smaller increments of lift, but having only 4* increments of cant is a killer. I’ve always wondered why F2 didn’t do 1.5* wedges instead. 

1 hour ago, jim_s said:

Anyway, if there's interest, I'd happily lead, or at least contribute to, such an effort

I’d like to offer to help out with this project. Not currently familiar with 3D printing, but as a s/w developer in the 3D and visual F/X industry, I’m used to dealing with a multitude of unfamiliar file formats, already comfortable with 3D geometry description files, and write technical documentation of complex systems for both domain expert and neophyte audiences.  Think I can contribute if I don’t drive @jim_s to distraction with noob questions as I get up to speed.