Note to New Members ×

SG soul 159XT 2017###SOLD###

Poloturbo

Barry,  

This is a great soft boot carving board, I have a 159 XT too and it accomodates my size 8 boot and bindings perfectly with my preferred stance angles.  I also like that it's Guy Fawkes on the top sheet and not the Navajo Indian of the later models.  I've been riding this more than my hard boot boards and it's a damn good board to ride, it took me a while to get used to the width and settingup some new soft boot bindings but it sure does hold an edge.  I wouldn't be too worried about the length, it's pretty stable for how "short it is".

Here's a video of me, with only 2 days on it and some old bindings that were not as supportive and way too stiff to handle variable terrain.  Since this video was take, I'm actually much more comfortable and the board will handle almost any groomed terrain.

Since this filming, I've changed to a lighter, and more supportive binding that is just as stiff edge to edge, but softer tip to tail, added a lot more highback lean, reduced my binding angles, and I've incorporated a booster strap to give me a pseudo 3rd strap to help initiate toe side turns a lot quicker.  It rips up the groom like no other soft boot set up I've been on.

Buy it and try it it out.  If you don't like it, I'm pretty sure you can twist my arm to take it off your hands, because I'm going to wear mine out in a few seasons.

• Like 2

Great riding and review. 

Buy it as a spare one ;)

Also like the reference to "LA conspiration des poudres"

The getting use to the width is right. Also the weight must be centered.

What's your angles on it and stance?

Was laughing when he said a freestyle board....Noooooooot. 

Edited by Poloturbo

10 minutes ago, Poloturbo said:

Great riding and review. 

Buy it as a spare one ;)

The getting use to the width is right. Also the weight must be centered.

What's your angles on it and stance?

A spare would be nice, but then I'd be hoarding boards and wouldn't allow another person to enjoy this little gem.  It's tempting for sure.

As far as angles, in that video I was somewhere in the +30/+9 and I wasn't getting the highback support on the heel-side turns.  I'm now riding +24/-6, I like to keep about 30 degrees splay in soft boots.  These angles allow me to slash turns if I need to, I have enough flexibility to make a decent carved heel-side turn, and I'm easily able to look up the hill on each toe-side turn so I know if/when a straight-liner is coming a lot easier than if I was more forward facing.

Stance is about 22 inches, centered on the inserts and I have a 31" inseam.  I have not tried the Pow inserts, I have a dedicated powder board for those days, but this could be an awesome travelling one board quiver killer.  I'm certainly treating it as such.

For example. I rode my Coiler Nirvana one day at Bald Mountain/Snow Valley and the next Day was on the SG Soul.  A week later I took a few boards to Colorado, and Rode the SG Soul one day at Keystone, then Vail.  A few days later I rode one day in Aspen on my Coiler, then off to Telluride for a Soul day, the next day was a powder day so I rode my Donek Nomad.  Then a few days later I spent another 2 days back in Aspen on the Soul carving up Copper and Spar Gulch where I figured out my forward lean, and 3rd strap setup.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...