Note to New Members ×

Do you listen to tunes when riding?

SWriverstone

I'm just curious about how many of you listen to tunes while riding? (With your iPod or MP3 player maybe?)

I've heard from several people who do. Though I'm a professional musician (and love tunes!) I think it's crazy---I need my hearing to be 100% on so I can tell when someone's skidding to avoid me!

Scott

PS - I could see it being fantastic if you own the slope and nobody's around...I'd like to try that...

Yes.... but to shed off the flaming, I ride where it is a crowded day only when SES comes to town. Otherwise I may see on a busy day one or two other people on the whole run. So riding with music keeps me company!!! Buttermilk is kind of that way :-))

Joel

Basically I think it's irresponsible to ridee (or ski) with your ears plugged. On a day when you are alone on a run, I guess it's fine, but I'm afraid I've had to may near-run-ins with people who are completely unaware of their surroundings and all too often sport wires...

Me too -- yes. I think that the safety aspect depends on the context. On weekends or somewhat crowded days I ride without music. On weekdays when the mountain is mostly empty, I ride with tunes, volume set to 15-20%, and my headphones are superglued to my helmet -- so there's nothing in my ear. I can easily hear others skidding around or friends yelling when I'm on the lift... so I think that a little music is nice, and keeping it low makes it safe.

tom.

Scott,

I think you know how I feel about this, lol. I assume you saw my "rigged helmet" complete with wire. I keep it on 90 - 100% volume. Samples from "riding mix" include:

Van Halen - Unchained, Runaround, Panama

Various House artists (Underworld, Swayzak, Daft Punk)

Crystal Method - High Roller

Pantera- Cowboys from Hell

Riding w/ tunes definitley intensifies the feeling, sometimes too much. It's like "steroids for snowboarding," lol. Makes it more exciting, gives me energy (mentally at least) when I need a pick me up, keeps me aggressive (in teh beg. at least =) )

I admit it's probably not the most responsible thing to do and I've had a number of close calls this season, but I don't think it's due to the music, b/c I am quite aware of my surroundings. More due to me going across slope at speed and skiier/boarder not realizing who (technically speaking) has right of way. This past weekend, though, with massive crowds, I definitley turned it down a bit. You get used to it after a while. At least give it a shot. If you are new to snowboarding in general, maybe hold off until you're an intermediate (or the slope is pretty empty)

now riding a motorcycle while listening to tunes- to me that's insane. I know there are guys here do that in this area, which is even more insane.

just my .02

---

Barry

Guest jeremiah

Since my wife bought me an IPod and the Burton IPod jacket I have started riding with tunes. I generally keep the volume low enough so that I can hear it on the lift but it's drowned out by the sounds of carving (edging, scraping, wind whistling past my helmet). If it's crowded I pause when I get off the lift, since the buttons are easy to reach.

I do find myself cranking it up if the run is empty or if I'm in open trees. I know it's dumb to turn it up in the trees, but sometimes the teenager in me takes over--especially if there is powder.

The best thing about the IPod is that you can put so much music on it and just set it on random. Songs that you don't even remember that you have can sometimes be the best to ride to.

Jeremiah

85% done re-ripping 400 CDs due to a fried hard drive

I have a friend who has had several Ipods and for some reason somthing always breaks in them. (He rode with it frequently)Maybe he's just a clutz. But I did recently read a review on Amazon.com about running with your Ipod and how it can possibly damage the components...

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

they have hard drives, unlike a flash mp3 player (like what I have), which is usually lighter and definitely more "shock proof" but many hold significantly less. it's a trade off. irivers are awesome for flash players though.

one demographic the new IPod shuffle is being marketed to is us, snowboarders.

Barry

I used to ride with CD players, before that tapes, and now with MP3. I don't rely on my ears to know what's happening, and I've never had a collision or been hit. I tend to ride quickly enough not to have to bother about people behind me.

I once broke a CD player on a mogul field, but that was years ago and recently I've had no trouble. The CD players had little buffers, so riding agressively (say on a bump run) would make them skip. The cd quality was better than the iPod, but the vibration-proof business plus size/ battery/ flexibility of mp3 wins out.

Obviously I wouldn't encourage people to do something they don't feel comfortable with. That would be irresponsible; I'm not.

Guest dudleydudley
Originally posted by D-Sub

do you like "Tweakend" or "Temple of Boom" (two later albums after Vegas)?

Tweakend sucks. It sounds nothing like the original Crystal Method.

Guest jeremiah

I was afraid to ride with an IPod last season, probably because it was my wife's rather than mine. I was still concerned when I got my own, but since I've got the Burton jacket, I don't even thing about it anymore.

The jacket has a semi-rigid, padded pocket that the IPod sits in, and a velcro flap holds it in place. It sits flush about mid-height on the left side of the chest, so it's completely out of the way, and also unlikely to dig into the body or get crushed in a fall. (I don't think I've had a single fall where I fell hard on my upper chest since I started riding plates, pipe/park riders may be different.)

I still think Burton charges too much for a non-GoreTex jacket AND I don't like giving much money to Burton since they pulled out of Alpine, but I will almost certainly buy another one if this one wears out.

Jeremiah

I have been wanting to try riding with tunes. I have gotten into the habit of glancing uphill each time I cut across the run (after every turn). I have learned that there are too many idiots out there not to. Everyone’s senses work differently. I find that I do not hear much when I ride, but my vision and sense of feel (through the board) are very acute. I think that music may help me relax and broaden my focus.

Guest dudleydudley
Originally posted by D-Sub

thats like saying "Vulgar Display of Power" sucks because it sounds nothing like "Cowboys from Hell"

bad answer

Ok good point. Tweakend sucked because it doesn't have the depth of sound that Crystal Method is known for. It didn't seem like a natural, or good, progression for their music. It was nothing spectacular.

the first few listens I felt the same way, but then...its not up to us to decide the direction a band moves in, ya know?

Vegas was a seminal work in electronic music. Maybe they didnt _want_ to sound like that?

sorry...tangent

I used to listen to music but CDs skip too much. Considering getting a Pogo RipDrive because theyre quite affordable compared to other 40gig players

Im pretty uneasy about people hitting me lately though, so..not sure if its a good idea or not. It seems that no matter what, the only way to avoid being hit is to constantly look up hill

Originally posted by Jutta

Basically I think it's irresponsible to ridee (or ski) with your ears plugged. On a day when you are alone on a run, I guess it's fine, but I'm afraid I've had to may near-run-ins with people who are completely unaware of their surroundings and all too often sport wires...

Jutta, How about deaf skiiers ? Maybe the run ins are due to the fact that it's hard to see a 2" smurf on the slopes esp at high speed.

post-123-141842202579_thumb.gif

Originally posted by SWriverstone

You guys are all hopelessly lowest-common-denominator in your musical tastes. I'd rather listen to Mahler's 7th Symphony, or Steve Reich's "Drumming!" :D

Scott

Not only am I learning about Lower Common Denominators in my painfully 4th grade "fundamentals of mathmatics" class. But I also agree, sort of. I don't like to judge what other people listen to as music is extremely important to me. That said, Steve Reich is awesom, I'm not that familiar with him but "new york counterpoint" is one of my favorites.

Williwhit -

#1: I just happen to think that it's stupid to voluntarily give up one of your senses while engaged in a potentially dangerous activity.

#2: I'm fine with the smurf reference - at 5'3" I'm used to that ;), but what's with the google joke? As far as I understood, SWriverstone was asking for opinons, no?

Actually, I'm right with you guys on that... Vegas was great... one of those rare albums where every single track is just quality. Tweekend I really don't like.

Lately I'm really digging on Hybrid, and some of their stuff would make rather good riding music, particularly the Wide Angle/Live Angle album... that album is seminal in the same was as vegas... people will be ganking that sound for the next few years.

Dsub: this is good stuff man. I'm a huge sucker for tracks that have a lot of dark ambience and have looping progression not just repetition.

If I rode alone more often, I'd probibly wear headphones. As it is, they'd be more of a hassle than an aid. Much of the time I wear a facemask/balaclava that has a gortex membrain in it to keep the wind and wet crap out, and it's pretty much impossible to hear through that thing too. The only way to keep safe is to use those eyes.

philistine - Wow! You've actually heard of Steve Reich??? <amazed gasp> Very cool! He's got a LOT more cool stuff than New York Counterpoint...try "Music For 18 Musicians" or "Drumming." Unbelievable!

Electronica - I've only got one word...UNDERWORLD. (BTW, they're influenced by Steve Reich and John Adams!) Get "One Hundred Days Off." Holy sh*t that's a masterpiece...

Avoiding collisions - I agree---look uphill! (And yeah, not nearly enough people look downhill. In fact, I don't know where the heck they're looking!

Scott (contemplating the purchase of an MP3 player...)