Note to New Members ×

Bootfitting (Again)

Mord

So I'm having a question. What range do shoes usually fit? Does a 26.5 boot fit from 26.5 to 27.4, or does it fit from only 26.5 to 26.9. Perhaps it's 26.0 to 26.9? I've been told that a whole number MP point fits up to the next highest whole number, but I am unsure about half integer MP numbers.

Thanks!

Edited by Mord
Grammar

If you are looking at Raichle/Deeluxe they have  the boot sole length near the heal  a 295mm is a mondo 27-27.5 comfy,   Not sure of 289/285mm sole  26-26.5 I can fit a 27.3 foot in these with the molded liner more of a race fit.  Then there are two sizes inside boot cuff.   Upper and lower, The lower is the one you need to look at for size. I have a set of 277mm sole with upper cuff of 27/27.5 lower of 25/25.5 that fit a mondo 26/26.5

Edited by ibrussell

My foot measures 28.2mm. In either Deeluxe or UPZ I cannot squeeze my foot into a 27 shell and a 29 is too big.

I use a UPZ 28 with a Deeluxe 131, size 28 liner and the only way I could make that work was to make a cut across the toes, at the base of the toes all the way through the top of the liner so my toes could poke out the end. The cut  opens up about 3/4" when I put my foot in the liner when it is out of the boot.  I was afraid my toes would get cold but they never do. No matter how much heat from a heat gun I used I could never get the liner thin enough in the toe area to get any comfort at all. I tried every combination of toe caps and toe spacers when heat molding and nothing worked.

IMHO, i would try a 27 shell only if my foot measures about 27.7mm or less. I feel if my foot measured about 28.7 or longer I would try a 29.

I wore a US size 12.5 running shoe for many years but as I have gotten older I now need a 13. Go figure.

Edited by 1xsculler

11 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

My foot measures 28.2mm. In either Deeluxe or UPZ I cannot squeeze my foot into a 27 shell and a 29 is too big.

I use a UPZ 28 with a Deeluxe 131, size 28 liner <snip>

Maybe try a larger liner?  I'd bet a size 29 liner would've suited you just fine in your 28 shells.

13 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Maybe try a larger liner?  I'd bet a size 29 liner would've suited you just fine in your 28 shells.

I tried size 29 liners and they were a no-go...I don't remember why now.  Believe me I tried every combination and size of boots and liners and cutting the toes of the 131, size 28 was the only solution for me.  It made nearly unwearable boots very, very comfy.  Sounds weird, I know.

Ultimately,  it is about more than the length of your foot in cm. Foot shape, width, volume and liner thickness can make a big difference with the limited boot options we have.

I measure 26.5 and 26.3 cm on my two feet but they are rather low volume. I started years ago with a 26m Deeluxe. Way too big. Went down to a 25m Deeluxe when they were using a thinner liner and once it packed out a bit it was also too big. I ended up with a 24m Deeluxe Track 700. When I went to UPZ I wear a 25m and have been at that size for several years. I wear a 25 mondo in multiple pairs of AT boots I use for splitboarding.

My wife is a 23 mondo with a 22 mondo heel. In general, she has sized down to 22 mondo boots and had them punched a bit in the toe.

So, unfortunately, it is a bit more complex than being able to say that a 26.5 m boot would fit x to y length of foot. It is effectively an approximation of what shell size might fit your particular foot.

Yeah, another thing to consider is the vast number of liners out there... There are high volume ones, low volume ones, ones that have an extremely thin bottom for a footbed, ones that have an extremely thin toe box, tonge liners, wrap liners, the list goes on. Not to mention the different stiffness and flex zones of them too...

I had a lot of boot problems because I have very high arches and a very high instep, narrow heels, and am sensitive to pressure over my foot. It used to be I could not ride for more than 2 hours without taking off my boots and warming my toes up because of poor circulation to the point I could not feel them anymore... and I had terrible heel lift. Finally went to UPZs with Intuition Pro Wrap liners, molded with as much shims over my instep as possible, shaved the boot a little over my instep too, and a custom footbed. Now I only have problems if it gets really cold, though sometimes it is a bit finicky to get the buckles right.

• Like 2

On February 26, 2018 at 3:42 PM, 1xsculler said:

I use a UPZ 28 with a Deeluxe 131, size 28 liner and the only way I could make that work was to make a cut across the toes, at the base of the toes all the way through the top of the liner so my toes could poke out the end. The cut  opens up about 3/4" when I put my foot in the liner when it is out of the boot.  I was afraid my toes would get cold but they never do. No matter how much heat from a heat gun I used I could never get the liner thin enough in the toe area to get any comfort at all. I tried every combination of toe caps and toe spacers when heat molding and nothing worked.

IMHO, i would try a 27 shell only if my foot measures about 27.7mm or less. I feel if my foot measured about 28.7 or longer I would try a 29.

I wore a US size 12.5 running shoe for many years but as I have gotten older I now need a 13. Go figure.

When you say you can't squeeze your foot into a 27 shell, are you talking about just the shell with the liner removed? Should be no problem at all if your foot measures 28.2.

Couple things, One, the guy who sells UPZ in North America labels them differently than UPZ does. A pair of boots I have that were sold new as 26.5 are listed as a smaller mondo size in UPZ's bizarre sizing chart. Used to be a link somewhere here on bomber.

Two, the rc-10s I'm in are about three shell sizes smaller than my feet measure out.... and they feel frickin wonderfull. Go to a good boot fitter and have them blow out the toe box. My boot now bulges out over the toe bail where my big toe is, the ankle feels like it was vaccu-formed over my foot. Liners are cut over the big toes to have all the foam removed, just a single layer of the inner liner fabric left. 

How is your foot shaped? UPZ and Deeluxe are complete opposites. UPZ narrow heel, wide toe. Deeluxe wide heel, narrow toe.

Edited by dingbat
  • Like 1