Note to New Members ×

Looking for bigger radius

Ondrej

15 minutes ago, Ondrej said:

I haven't ordered the extra inserts (yet) and I have so far decided to drop the plate.

I'm a huge plate fan, I would get the inserts for future flexibility (And to enter a more liquid second hand market once the time to sell comes). But that's just me and I know literally nothing about anything :D

• Like 1

Ondrej, 0.4mm not 4mm.

My understanding is that the titanal layer improves the torsional stiffness of the board, reducing the difference in edge angle between the tips and the middle of the board when it is being carved. Bruce was trying to save his remaining stock of 0.3mm for builds for smaller/lighter riders. I'm 82kg and had no problem making my 0.4mm board bend along its' length to make tight turns, while the edge hold was very good. Try reading some of the reviews of Coilers made since January 2017, that was when Bruce started to make 0.4mm boards in volume.

24 minutes ago, daveo said:

I'm a huge plate fan, I would get the inserts for future flexibility (And to enter a more liquid second hand market once the time to sell comes). But that's just me and I know literally nothing about anything :D

I might actually get the inserts for the very reasons you mention. Seems like the 50€ extra isn't that big of a deal anymore :)

19 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Ondrej, 0.4mm not 4mm.

My understanding is that the titanal layer improves the torsional stiffness of the board, reducing the difference in edge angle between the tips and the middle of the board when it is being carved. Bruce was trying to save his remaining stock of 0.3mm for builds for smaller/lighter riders. I'm 82kg and had no problem making my 0.4mm board bend along its' length to make tight turns, while the edge hold was very good. Try reading some of the reviews of Coilers made since January 2017, that was when Bruce started to make 0.4mm boards in volume.

Thanks for the correction, it does make sense, need to load up the brain Saturday morning. 4mm would have been one heck of a metal plate indeed :D

I believe it should be a good thing. The prior has a titanal layer as well and I bend it a lot- not sure how thick it is though, but likely thin.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:44 AM, Buell said:

Interestingly, an issue a lot of riders have with heavily tapered race boards is that they actually have a hard time finishing a turn across the fall line. They describe the board as only wanting to go down the fall line. ...

.....They will require a more aggressive approach. Think about a racer in a course. There is no shifting your weight back on these boards, your focus and drive is always forward. You are always "up and over the board." You do not need to think about getting the board to release if you are already over it, just flip it with your feet/ankles while driving forward into the turn....

Thanks Buell. You just described (one of) my problems and the solution in one short para. Appreciate your help.

BOL can often be like the mining the El Dorado, amongst all the soil and fine print the occasional gold nugget of wisdom like this can be found :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5. 3. 2018 at 5:44 PM, Buell said:

I am most comfortable describing how the boards ride. It is impossible to know without seeing you ride if technique is an issue or not. From what you have written, I continue to think that technique is a factor in how the board is performing under your feet. I apologize if I am overstepping here.

Interestingly, an issue a lot of riders have with heavily tapered race boards is that they actually have a hard time finishing a turn across the fall line. They describe the board as only wanting to go down the fall line. I have never found this to be an issue and can put these boards where ever I want them to go.

These boards will ride differently than your Prior. They will require a more aggressive approach. Think about a racer in a course. There is no shifting your weight back on these boards, your focus and drive is always forward. You are always "up and over the board." You do not need to think about getting the board to release if you are already over it, just flip it with your feet/ankles while driving forward into the turn. 

I can almost assure you that moving your bindings back will not improve the ride.

All that said, the issue could be partly in your set up. When I would ride my 175 SG, I would increase the forward lean in my UPZs by one setting on both boots compared to riding my SL board.

@Buell, this turned out to be a gem.

I played with stance on my Prior, after riding the same for many years. It turned out I was for some weird reason having a bit too much setback. I made the stance lot more aggressive by moving stance 1cm forward, removing toe lift in front, adding heel lift in back and locking my rear UPZ as much forward as possible. And oh boy, it never was so good. I don't need to force it to do anything. It worked before, but I apparently had to use a lot of effort to compensate. Had few days on it now, just came back from a few hours run, and I could throw it around just about any way I wanted. Now it's really just that flipping the board, so effortless, and with consistency all day long.

So thanks a lot, because I would have taken ages to figure it out otherwise, and with uncertain result.

By the way, this is what's ordered, arriving after summer, just in 180 :)

sg_full_race_titan_2018_2019-800x800.jpg

Edited by Ondrej
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ondrej said:

@Buell, this turned out to be a gem.

I played with stance on my Prior, after riding the same for many years before. It turned out I was for some weird reason having a bit too much setback. I made the stance lot more aggressive by removing toe lift in front, adding heel lift in back and locking my rear UPZ as much forward as possible. And oh boy, it never was so good. I don't need to force it to do anything. It worked before, but I apparently had use a lot of effort to compensate. Had few days on it now, just came back from a few hours run, and I could throw it around just about any way I wanted. Now it's really just flipping the board, so effortless, and with consistency all day long.

So thanks a lot, because I would have taken ages to figure it out otherwise, and with uncertain result.

By the way, this is what's ordered, arriving after summer, just in 180 :)

sg_full_race_titan_2018_2019-800x800.jpg

That is awesome!

• Like 1