Note to New Members ×

Boat Hull Dupraz D1 - Feature or Failure?

lordmetroland

I was able to get my hands on an older Dupraz D1 last year for the purposes of an annual masochistic bump endurance event. I mounted it up and took it out yesterday for a test run. My first 30 yards were an adventure in squirrellyness that I chalked up to it's being shorter and less torsionally stiff than my other boards. After about a half run, I got used to its unique characteristics and was able to carve pretty clean turns on less steep sections. It did fine in the bumps and the crusty, windblown, tracked out, ungroomed edges. When I got home, I stacked it base-to-base with a Tanker for storage and I'll be danged if I couldn't see light between the two bases at the edges, like the Dupraz was smiling at me. I took a scraper and laid it against the base and there's about a 1-2mm gap at each edge, like a boat hull. Looks even worse with the scraper on the top sheet. I'm sure this shape is not intentional and not some forward-thinking, powder board feature.

Not sure I'm going to do anything about it since a grind would cost as much as the board did, it would probably mow through all of the available base material and I'm planning on using it in rocky bumps but I thought I'd share it in case anyone had some insights into how this might have happened. Maybe it was stored in a sauna? Perhaps it was deflecting all of the radness I was applying? Maybe it's just what happens to a Dupraz after a while?

image.png.83ac143907d6a3f1e06aa0aff256ac93.png

image.png.821a659938adfed0e18afeabe16c88b1.png

image.png.ac6d278867ec60014b0ae734ebaadf68.png

And yes, gentle readers, that is a professional grade Helene Curtis Empress hair dryer in the background. The secret to how I get such amazing volume in my coiffure when it's not being mashed by my helmet.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

Had you not been so quick on the reveal, I could have convinced myself that Jawas are real, and that you rated as a trading partner.  Thanks for squashing the illusion.

Don't be f***ing absurd. To be an "Empress," one must have an empire. To have an empire suggests also having the means to develop job-specific humanoid machines. At some point in the future/past, Helene Curtis will be/was the dominant hair care droid manufacturer, before being forcibly "acquired" by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. Some models are still in operation.

52 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

So, yeah, that's an intentional base bevel, but a slight one compared to, say, an '87 Cruzer or Performer Elite from Burton! 

Alas, according to Dupraz, the bevel is only intentional if the board was intentionally stored improperly. Though it should be great on those rails my bones are too brittle to attempt...

1 hour ago, lordmetroland said:

Alas, according to Dupraz, the bevel is only intentional if the board was intentionally stored improperly. Though it should be great on those rails my bones are too brittle to attempt...

Really?! I am surprised to hear that... The Hot 160, in it's first 2 years, wasn't flat... wow.

Wait till summer when it's hot,    put a 1x4 maybe trim a 1x6  as long as the warped part of the base.  Trim a 1x12 board width for the warp on top,  4 2x4's  cut 3" wider than the board to sandwich  top/bottom boards than clamp with adj clamps. tighten,  tighten again in a 1/2 hours.  Leave for 24 hours  check redo if not flat.  Did this on an old Burton that was concave worse than that, took two 100 deg days .  Flatten 99%+ enough to run flat on cat tracks.  It's been two years and still flat. I'd grind it 100% flat but it's a old Burton rock board.   Always on the cutting Edge....of obsolete.

• Like 1